JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I should add that this is midnight blue cerakote. Very much looks blued! Very durable tho.
All of the hydro dipped camo patterns on AR's and stocks are also clear cerakoted to give it very good durability.
View attachment 381422 View attachment 381423
I have a 1947 Ithaca model 37, 20 ga shotgun that has some minor pitting on the receiver. Will Cerakote fill that pitting?

I have a 1947 Ithaca model 37, 20 ga shotgun that has some minor pitting on the receiver. Will Cerakote fill that pitting?

I'm sure Velzey can give you a better answer, but one of the guns he Cerakoted for me (an old rusted 1973 Wingmaster) had pitting from rust on the receiver. He did tell me it wouldn't be able to fill those pits in, though it did fill them just a bit. It did give an old pitted receiver some new life. He Cerakoted the barrel, trigger guard and pins too so everything would match.

Cerakote or anything else for that matter will not fill in pitting.
But on some jobs what I do is spend an hour or to and tig weld up all that pitted spots. Draw file the receiver, smooth and polish the barrel or other parts and then cerakote it.
Once completed you cannot see any of the pitted areas.

Sur-Tac in Troutdale did my AR-15 builds. They did the parts & I did the assembly except for the 2 tone charging handle they did for me. All parts were properly prepped (bead blasting, degreasing, masking, etc) and I got what I wanted down to the matt finish. It doesn't look so in the picture, but the MagPul FDE is correct - the color balance was off due to the natural lighting. I'd use them again.
I've had Greg do a few guns for me. I'm always very happy with the work, price, and short turnaround time.

Fuw8C0e.jpg

2I2Q3Nn.jpg

Do you have any photos of either of those guns you might care to share?

Got photos of one of the guns - an old Remington 870 Wingmaster - had been left in a damp area for a long time, lots of rust, inside and out. I cleaned it up as best I could (the internals cleaned up nicely), but the finish was shot. I took it to @Velzey and he did a fine job of Cerakoting the shotgun:

IMG_8727.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8740.jpg

Got photos of one of the guns - an old Remington 870 Wingmaster - had been left in a damp area for a long time, lots of rust, inside and out. I cleaned it up as best I could (the internals cleaned up nicely), but the finish was shot. I took it to @Velzey and he did a fine job of Cerakoting the shotgun:

View attachment 381517

View attachment 381518

View attachment 381519

View attachment 381520

That's beautiful work, and the thing that really sets Velzey apart is that as a gun smith he can do a lot more restorative work than someone who just applies Cerakote, not to mention action truing, etc.

That's beautiful work, and the thing that really sets Velzey apart is that as a gun smith he can do a lot more restorative work than someone who just applies Cerakote, not to mention action truing, etc.

Very true. He also Cerakoted a 2nd gun at the same time, a Marlin 7000, he replaced the trigger on that one, made sure things were nice and smooth and also mounted a set of Tech Sights on it as well, which required drilling and tapping the the bull barrel for the front sight. It turned out really nice - but that one needs a new stock, so I don't have any photos of that one just yet. But yeah, it's really nice to have someone that can do the full deal, not just the coating.

Last Edited:
Thank you all for the kind words. There are a few locals that do awesome cerakote work. Jon @NWCustomFirearms is a personal friend and does great cerakote work! Also John @Buster Beaver does great work.
Blazin Hydrographics also does great work. Cerakoting and hydrodipping. They are up in Oregon City. Both of the latter mention shops I'm actually their gunsmith. Shocking huh :D

But please be aware that there are a handful of cerakote applicators around the area. A couple actually certified coating applications. They do good work sometimes, but it's best to do your own disassembly / reassembly.
I've taken in a few fresh coated jobs that have had some dangerous issues.
A Savage 110 that had the barrel taken off and coated. Assembled and then kaboom..
Wasn't headspaced!
I had a combo and Ar15 and Ar10, this thing just is not sounding right. Come to find out the barrel but on both we're literally hand tight..:eek: I kid you not! Forward assist roll pin hole had been damaged during reassembly and then touched up with a felt marker...
Ughh
One fellow heavy coats all assembly pins, sear, pretty much all internal parts. pistol comes in not functioning. So I need to spend 1-2 hours removing cerakote and making it functional.
Oh the latest was a Ruger Precision rifle... good grief they coated it without even field stripping. No blasting prior to coating.

Your freshly coated pistol should have a polished throat and feed ramp! Cerakote should not be there except for a rare occasion.

So In the end you get what you pay for! Sometimes a little more headache.

I just picked up an old Ruger m77 bolt rifle. The blueing is gone on some spots. So I was thinking about having it cerakoted but don't have a clue where to go. Are there some good references you all could give? Thank you in advance.
********************************************************************************
I used Buster Beaver in Wilsonville. They have done two guns for me. One was a 1917 45ACP revolver that was not in good enough condition to be a collectible but was OK as a shooter and the other is my AR. They don't do ARs any more, but they will probably do your bolt gun.

This thread is so timely, I'm glad it came up first in my search.

I picked up two barreled assemblies from PSA and I have a stripped, virgin lower that I'm hoping to have all cerakoted at the same time. Taking heed to the very proper warning about stripping gear down and re-assembly, right now I'd rather trust a cerakote pro w/ good comfort to ensure the uppers are disassembled and reassembled properly after.
@Velzey I don't want to assume, but sounds like you can bake that into price - are you accepting PMs for projects?
Cheers

Boy oh Boy, do I have a job for you Velzey! will make an appointment and discuss the finer details! :):):)

I don't wanna name names, here in an open thread, but there is a so called smith in the greater Portland / Beaverton area that folks needing ceracoating should avoid. PM me for the name if interested. Really buggerd up a coating job on a family members very nice trick Mauser, NOT HAPPY:mad:

I've repeatedly recommended Oregon Timberwolf Guns in Molalla & their prices were always reasonable. They're probably done 5 or 6 guns for me but I moved to McMinnville & now use Chad Waldrow from Killer Coatings but he's in Cornelius. He's done outstanding work at incredibly low prices & everything has been flawless. He's even going to coat some square tubing brackets for glass shelves when the kitchen is remodeled (counting down the days....)

Oregon Timberwolf almost always has a backlog so you have to be patient. The owner, Bob Haphey is an expert witness on firearms & testifies at trials so when I needed something 'smithed there was usually a long wait but I'm impatient & it may have been the norm. His son in law (Bobby) does the Cerakoting & while I've never, ever had any issues with his work I had one person tell me they did but didn't specify what it was.

As an example of pricing, I used to live in Tualatin & called Rich's in Donald. He quoted $400 to coat a slightly pitted S&W Model 36 in plain black & I think OTW did it for $125 - maybe.

This is an example of Bobby's work.
Blued Lft.JPG 84.jpg Left - coated.JPG

This is an example of Chad's work. My nephew even brought his AR down from Puyullap & my son in Sacramento sends Chad his stuff. Chad even polished the barrel on the Astra for free. PM me if you need Chad's info.
Astra1.jpg Coated L.JPG Coated polished.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads