Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Century Link?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Shellshocker66, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Southern Oregon Member

So it's official I'm moving to Eagle Point next week.

So trying to find internet service I discovered I was limited. It was either go Satellite or Century Link DSL.

So I got a package deal with Century Link. Was wondering what other people experience with the company? Are they decent? How well does the DSL work?

Thanks in advance!

2. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

Century took over Quest here. Some rates where raised. My understand the DSL is better than satellite, One can go to one of the internet speed site and check the speeds. To see which is better. Our connection is ok for Ok TV, but not for HD TV. Also with Wifi, we have can have up to 3 computers using it. That will effect download times, depending on applications being run and those being downloaded.

3. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

They are alright, not the best speeds but not the worst, Wifi seems to function fine, but they make it really hard to give them money on their site which is hilarious and frustrating. Phone works better but those damn voice-recognition is again, frustrating.

The actual service isn't like comcast but customer service may as well be light-years ahead of them.

4. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

You will be just fine with CL, they also have joined with verizon cell so you can link up (bundle) house and mobile phones. They also have partnered with DirecTV as a TV provider, sort of a one stop deal with one bill. Most rural areas offer speeds up to 10 meg, contingent upon distance. If your using netflix, you will want at least 1.5 meg, 3 if your going to run a computer at the same time. Century is a far better company than Qwest ever was. They are a real phone company based out of Monroe Louisiana that had it's foundation as a mom and pop's. They took over Embarq which was groomed for sale when bought from sprint, which in turn was United tel prior to that and it has been good so far for us end user's. But as any company grows, anything can change. Hopefully for the better.

5. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

Hollis, when you have three units on at once, you split the mgs, evenly. For example, if you have 3mg service they all recieve 1mg. By powering down units not in use, the speeds increase to the rest. Hope that helps.

6. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

They stink. But when you live out in the boonies you take what you can get.

7. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

I have CL 40mps and haven't had issues in the four months we've had them.

8. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

It is all about location and proximity to central office/facility resources. One person may have incredible service and speed, anyone person pathetic service in every regard. All in all, IMO Century Link stinks mostly because of huge layoffs and debt they are understaffed. If you never have an issue, all is well. This is 28 years experience in telecom talking here, dating all the way back to Pacific Northwest Bell.

Although they are far from perfect and overpriced (IMO), Comcast is destroying the competition in all areas they serve. Most salespeople for other telcos offering internet/phone digital services don't even bother soliciting Comcast areas. Comcast hired 1000 reps recently to sell their digital line services at a base salary of $75-85k + full benefits and incentives (must have many years experience, perfect track record, etc). They needed so many reps they were resorting to advertising jobs in bathroom stalls. That is how much money they have to blow. Comcast is the new AT&T circa 1982.

9. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

I won't pay Comcast's outrageous prices unless absolutely necessary.

10. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

You'll love Century Link's infuriating nature.

11. RB87

RB87 Oregon Active Member

CL ain't much better in that regard. The switch over had my bill going up for just basic phone service.

12. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

have had better luck with Direct tv sat. but then you have to bundle everything and it is expensive, it is Faster than DSL. but Cable is way faster than DSL, and if anyone still uses phone-line and American online, i think we should have a heart to heart sit down after I slap your face. Cable can wi-fi your own network in your home at speeds you wont even notice, comcast is fast, they have mult. deal/speeds, you have to barter with them in the beginning, sometimes looking online for deals, and then you call comcast and make sure they secure it, and if any troubles, you provide the orig. paper work and say Fug you, I got a three year deal for $19.99, and it is one of the highest Megs avail. all because the woman i talked to screwed up and didnt know what she was talking about, they reviewed the "might be recorded conversation, and My explicit questions regarding, length, price per month, and speed. helps to keep notes on what they say or look for online deals, but you MUST DOCUMENT, KEEP COPIES, AND FOLLOW UP, EVEN IF IT 5 TIMES, but you will get alot better rates.
    I should have been paying $54.99 for the last year, and year to come but they screwed up, and i had doc. to prove it. so, do your homework.

13. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Southern Oregon Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I did one of the bundles, with phone (since it seems they are the only one who provides it there), internet (again the only provider in the area) and Satellite TV. I'm not that far out of town, and there is a fiber optic cable across the street from my driveway which I assume is cable, but none of the cable providers service my address. Guess I'm on the wrong side of the street (my luck).

They said I should be getting 10 megs (I'm sure I will be less then that due to very long driveway). The good news is it can't be any worse that what I'm dealing with currently which is AT&T and it is horrible. Plus I will be paying $50. less even after the first years savings then what I'm currently paying between phone, TV, and DSL.

14. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

I used to have just basic service with no long distance or or any of the bells and whistles, For long distance I used calling cards from Costco so that I never had a surprise long distance bill. Total monthly was around $40.00 a month + $10.00 a month fior dial up internet (LOL). When I finally decided to go DSL I had to bundle to get the best rate for my internet service which meant I had to upgrade my phone service and add all the junk they offered but I was also given a special deal on that for the first 5 years, Now my total was about $65.00 a month. Still not bad considering I was paying just $15.00 less a month for dial up before. Now the tricky part of this bundeling thing, After the first year my bill shot to $86.00 a month! when I called I was told that I was still getting a killer deal on my internet for 4 more years but that the phone service (which I NEVER wanted but had to take for the internet discount) was going to its normal price!. I called CL and told then I was really po'd and I wanted it disconnected and that Id pay the cost for early termination and that they could shove their
    service for the whole mess I was done with them!. CL then contacted me trying to keep my business so I listened to their offers. I finally was able to get my DSL only for $35.00 a month and no phone servcice at all, My wife and I both have cell phones (cheap service rates and unlimited android but thats another story LOL). I also bought a Magic Jack plus so I still have a landline with unlimited long distance that doesnt require my computer to be on (its all hooked up wirelessly) for $30.00 a year. Now to answer your question LOL, My service with CL doesnt give me any problems (since I finally was able to get just what I wanted and no more) so after some hoops Im finally a happy customer.

15. coastal steelheader

coastal steelheader Aberdeen Well-Known Member

I have Century Link too and haven't had any real problems with the service. To be honest the two times I had problems their tech assist people had me up and rolling in no time, and most important - they spoke English.

16. MinnesotaORnewbie

MinnesotaORnewbie Oregon Active Member

Well, try it out and if you find you dont like it, try to figure out who's fiber line that is across the street. easiest way to see if its cable internet is everyone on that side of the street every 400 yards or something will have a newer 2 foot high plastic box in the ditch or kinda close to the road. If you talk to a neighbor that has it, find the company, and if you call them and ask enough, they will actually directional drill, under the road and put a box in your yard. I have had that done once, but it did take about 5 months, because they had to get permits and was a bit surprised they did all of that, but I guess they really want subscribers. The cable and DSL area/compitition is kind of a messed up political thing. some areas are exclusively one company, and there is no compitition, kinda like some areas and a garbage hauler. but how those rules and competitive laws are made are way more than I ever want to know. good luck, and hope it works for you