JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, there's a large sporting good store / gunshop (Sportsmans) next to my new gym. I spied a plain, AKM-pattern Century built AK there for $900. I'm not up on the AK market, but is this what crapola AKs are going for now? What do the good ones cost? Or is it was just a fluke? (There was a choice M1A next to it for just over double that. Sigh ... wished I could have rescued it from being next to the communist.)

(Oh no! I just realized I was looking an AK, I quit alcohol and bacon, and I'm routinely hassled by TSA ... maybe the Western Sahara plan is a go. Oops, no, just need to channel my silliness into the the proper channels. :s0114:)

I have no idea how AKs cost as much as they do.

At least Palmetto has a decent version out now that doesn't eat through trunnions like the century, priced at around $550.

Always heard WASR is the best entry level avoid century built and IO. WASR should be had for around $700.

If they are Century imported by CUGIR the company that actually makes them proper then its fine. Otherwise go Arsenal.

I too was shocked by the price. I never been an AK fan, but I remember them being reasonably priced back in the day. But a Century, no way, particularly at that price point. The one and only WASR I had was total pile and I dumped it a long time ago, but I understand the newer ones are OK.

7-8 years ago I picked up an AK from Atlantic Firearms that was made from Polish parts it said. I really didn't know anything about AKs at the time, other than I wanted one. It's a circle 11 marked. POLISH-AK47 RIFLE - AtlanticFirearms.com It's been a fine rifle through about 300 rounds. No issues other than some chrome/nickle plating coming of the bolt carrier. No funky wear that I can see anywhere on the moving parts. Plenty accurate. East to hit the gong at 100 yds. It was $700.00 and change at the time. Some of the stuff I read here makes me feel like I did OK with it.

If you do your shopping, you can find budda'd AKs for cheap. Like sub Glock cheap. My last two were purchased for 400 and 350 respectively. One an NPAP, the other a cugir with the funky gas block sight. The only AKs I'm willing to pay even close to 4 figures for are Russians, but that's just personal taste for no specific reason

I have a wasr, and a vska.
Bought the latter before I saw the Yeager/MAC debacle.
It has been solid, thousands of rounds deep, headspace is still good. Have seen more good than bad in terms of reviews up to this point.
500 bucks.

That the M1A was over double that cost is a sign everything there is overpriced.
I too was shocked by the price. I never been an AK fan, but I remember them being reasonably priced back in the day. But a Century, no way, particularly at that price point. The one and only WASR I had was total pile and I dumped it a long time ago, but I understand the newer ones are OK.
The first ones had issues cause the monkeys widen the magwells too much. Now they have a cutout guide for it so most of your issues you'd see from QC on cugir's end, which they improved on as well. Most new wasrs I see are straighter than most arsenals I see!

Honestly, $900? If its a century build, it was likely built through third party and at a cheap cost.

I have a 2019 WASR-10 and shoots fine. Never had any FTF issues either. When I took it the range the first time I failed to pull the charging handle back far enough to have it chamber the first round. I thought a bought a lemon.

I pulled the charging handle back again and saw hammer was cocked so it was GTG. I have shot over a 1000 rounds out of now.

Most of the contemporary reports I see of WASRs are they are a fine rifle. It is good to hear they worked out whatever bugs may have been present. I must have got an early one, because it was garbage. Totally unreliable, magazine that would roll around like a Dreidel, incapable of minute-of-broad-side-of-barn accuracy, and ugly as sin. It was possibly the worse centerfire rifle I ever owned and it was dumped posthaste. If I was in the market for an AK, and I'm not beyond a fleeting thought of a AKS-74U SBR, I suppose I should check the WASR out again, but once bitten ... :s0112:

$900 for a Century Build is way too much. I paid less than that for my James River AK's and the fit and finish on those is like museum quality.

Palmetto State Armory has a totally decent AK for $600.

I sold an old WASR on here last year for $440 I think

Most of the contemporary reports I see of WASRs are they are a fine rifle. It is good to hear they worked out whatever bugs may have been present. I must have got an early one, because it was garbage. Totally unreliable, magazine that would roll around like a Dreidel, incapable of minute-of-broad-side-of-barn accuracy, and ugly as sin. It was possibly the worse centerfire rifle I ever owned and it was dumped posthaste. If I was in the market for an AK, and I'm not beyond a fleeting thought of a AKS-74S SBR, I suppose I should check the WASR out again, but once bitten ... :s0112:
Ain't no might, ya did.

Get this one and ya might get broadside of the barn accuracy

6E7AD8D3-F043-46DD-AAE5-4D8E5BD91FCE.jpeg

$900 is a rip-off for anything from Century. AK's are overpriced these days but $900 should get you something much higher-end than a CAI product.