JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So apparently Century Arms just released their C308, which is patterned off of the 7.62 NATO H&K G3 type guns (though I think they use CETME internals) and like many of their AK's features a mixture of new US-made and foreign surplus parts. So far I've only seen Atlantic Firearms carrying them and all of the reviews I've been able to find are those that are sponsored by Century (thus uncompelling).

In any case, I'm a bit conflicted about taking a chance on this thing. On one hand, it's $200-$300 cheaper than the next most affordable choice, but on the other hand is Century's spotty reputation for quality especially with their previous guns with that same roller locking action. This is compounded by the fact that I'd likely have to order online and thus not have a chance to inspect. Then again I've also heard Century's quality control has improved lately. Opinions? Perspectives? Experience?

Roller lock systems are horrible. The smallest issue with over lubing, ammo types and trunion wear and it becomes a fancy single shot.

I owned a PTR91..
And Century rifles: C91 (predates the C308), C93 and their CETME..

Anyhow back to Century.. In all honesty I wouldnt buy one.. And if you REALLY had your heart set on one.. Id do an Vector or PTR..

Roller lock systems are horrible. The smallest issue with over lubing, ammo types and trunion wear and it becomes a fancy single shot.

Point taken. I've owned their CETME and C93, but in both cases I was able to inspect ahead of time, determine that the bolt gap was proper, etc. They both worked fine and I only sold/traded them because of my own pickiness, for example I couldn't get over the seeming crudeness with which the CETME was constructed... it was rough enough to make even low-end AK's seemed refined. The C93 was heavier than a .223/5.56 in its class should be. In any case, I didn't have any issues with the action itself and probably prefer it to the AR or M1A design.

Point taken. I've owned their CETME and C93, but in both cases I was able to inspect ahead of time, determine that the bolt gap was proper, etc. They both worked fine and I only sold/traded them because of my own pickiness, for example I couldn't get over the seeming crudeness with which the CETME was constructed... it was rough enough to make even low-end AK's seemed refined. The C93 was heavier than a .223/5.56 in its class should be. In any case, I didn't have any issues with the action itself and probably prefer it to the AR or M1A design.
I did like their C93, tight specs and easy to service.. Only sold it due to lack of surplus mags (promags cracked on me) then after I sold it Apex got a crap ton of mags in.. Go figure.

I and a couple friends have had about 5-7 of the CETMEs over the last 3 years and have had great luck with them.I haven't heard this from anyone else,though.
Mine feed any ammo from any corner of the globe,they just plain shoot.And pretty dang accurate too.
It is best to shoot any Century gun before you purchase it to make sure they do run.Not always an option,but try to find them local.
I would never part with mine and they are my go to guns.

BTW CETME is the father of this platform not H&K:rolleyes:

And then there is this...

http://zenithfirearms.com/firearms/rifles/z-41-rifle/

Z-41Rifle_tbnl.jpg

Not sure what they will actually sell for but I bet its in the PTR money. I would like to get my hands on something this Zenith imported (they have a whole line of HK clones) and see what its like

Roller lock rifles are pure crap if they are assembled by Century!
PTR has made some good ones but for the best stick with an HK 91 or a Mars Cetme. Absolute best made roller lock guns you will find!

At least it seems Century has improved their once-notoriously bad warranty. It used to be 90 days from the date of manufacture, meaning it was possible, perhaps even likely that a warranty could be expired before you even bought it. Now it's a year from the date of purchase, which I would suppose is indicative of an increased confidence in quality. Of course, PTR's warranty is 3 years from the date of purchase and that's something else worth taking into account when looking at price difference.

While the originals are very nice and I have owed an half dozen of them! None of them have ever shot as well as the American made DSA's I own now!

Next you'll be telling us Americans make Belgian waffles better than the Belgians do!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top