Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Century arms AK- 47 $500 : should i buy?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 2-b-d, May 12, 2016.

1. 2-b-d

2-b-d Clatskanie, Or Member

I have a chance to buy an AK- 47 for $500. I asked the general questions. He claims front sight is straight, 30 round mags (6 of them) fix mag well snug and action sticks a little when racked slowly. Seller painted it black, but has since stripped paint with the exception of certain detailed spots on receiver. He is willing to meet me at the range for a test fire. What are your thoughts?

FB_IMG_1463070717843.jpg

2. 2-b-d

Hello....? ** tap ** tap ** Is this thing on?

3. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Which model Century arms Ak-47 is it they do vary in quality depending on model.

Example :
    C39V2 not only has a chrome lined barrel, but it has also been nitride treated as well for significantly improved corrosion resistance. The nitriding also delivers the look of a higher end barrel finish.
    Other new features are the T-paddle extended magazine release, bolt hold open safety, enhanced dust cover, and lightened bolt carrier assembly for improved performance.
    These rifles run from anywhere used 450- to 900 depending what one has and what it comes with , also where you are buying one.

AndyinEverson, ogre, x2ndxall and 2 others like this.
  4. 2-b-d

Private sale and...I will contact the seller to get the model

5. tarster

tarster Albany Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would put that one closer to 400 if you can talk him down a bit, the wood would need to be re-finished if you wanted it to look stock again, and possibly a re-spray of the frame on then, I really dont get where people think AK's are worth 9000$ these days.. only a few years ago you could buy them for 350 bucks.

x2ndxall, DuneHopper and edslhead like this.
  6. 2-b-d

His original asking price was $550. Without going any further I told him I wouldn't pay a dime over $500. He agreed. So now sight unseen , that's the price. But if it looks horrible in person I'll ask for less

7. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Keizer, or Well-Known Member

what he said.

dunehopper... youre back!??!

salmonriverjohn and x2ndxall like this.
  8. 2-b-d

It's a wasr-10

9. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Unless there is something particularly special about that gun, I definitely wouldn't go over $500 - it looks a bit abused to me. If you can get it for less, then all the better for you.

DuneHopper likes this.
  10. DuneHopper

I agree there are some very inexpensive Ak-47 There are some C A. that are not easily modified as opposed to other brands. I never paid more then 400 for and AK-47 used or more then 300 for an SKS. But if this is a good model it could be worth the 500.00 hes asking. But used is used.. I think don't quote me but Cabelas starts off around 600 and change NIB.

Brutus57 likes this.
  11. DuneHopper

Yep ( not to hijack the thread but yep I took some time off to chill PM me if you want to know more about it ) But alls good.

salmonriverjohn and spookshack like this.
  12. etrain16

In that case, considering the condition, I'd go $350-$400 tops, but that's just me.

NWGunner likes this.
  13. DuneHopper

I would second it, in good used condition its worth around 500.00 but its a tad rough, mags are worth around 10.00 - 15.00 a piece depending on what kind they are. Id pay $450 if they thru in a few hundred rounds, but it would have to be mechanically sound. Good firing pin no head space issues,trigger etc. You could probably swing a good deal being its a wasr-10, BTW they sell new 600.-650 Black Friday sales put these at new in 2015 for $550.00 .

206thsense, decklin and etrain16 like this.
  14. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

what year MFG?

From 2013
    BTW that AK you showed has an AK-74 muzzle device

decklin, etrain16 and DuneHopper like this.
  15. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'd say 450$ max.

DuneHopper and etrain16 like this.
  16. etrain16

dracozny, raftman, Mikej and 4 others like this.
  17. 2-b-d

That's the second person that caught that. Is that a good thing or bad? (Muzzle device)

18. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I have to assume that the AK has been fired with that device in place and it hasn't been shot off the muzzle that it's GTG. The device is probably, marginally better than the original AK-47 device

19. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Check the rivets. Make sure all are well domed and not smashed and mangled. If they are, over time they'll losen up.

Unscrew the slant brake and check and see if there are any dings in the crown, fr there (if you have one) test a 14x1L muzzle device to make sure it has the right threads. Early wasrs didnt.. They had a funky 20 or 28x1/2 thread.

Next inspect for pitting

Check down the barel, make sure the rifling is strong.

Next take the gas tube off, check for rust. If any corrosive ammo was shot through it and not cleaned there will be rust here as well as the bolt itself. Also check the gas pistol head for damage, marring. If it has some that means the piston is hitting the gas block as it reciprocates. While this isnt a deal killer it should be addressed and potentially a price point changer.

If all that looks good, check the rear trunion, does it look well squared?

The sticky bolt isnt an issue, only when slowly and manually operating the bolt will it hang up, thats due to the bolt riding over and setting the hammer. This can be remedied, its not a big deal, however a pause before the bolt goes into battery can be troublesome down the road.

Lastly ask what kind of mags are included if he want $ for that. Korean mags are training mags at best.. They are soft metal junk worth around $8 per.
    Tapcos again can be had for $10 or under.
    Surplus mags can run $10-$20 depending on manf- Origin.
    Magpul gen 1 $13
    Magpul gen 2 $20-$25
    Us palm $25-$30
    Toth $25
    Circle 10 $40-$80 (depending on color)
    Bakelite $40-70 (depending on steel cages/feed lips, manf., capacity (40rnd being $$)

If all that looks good then yes, the rest can be fixed. Furniture condition doesnt matter you can replace that later.

AKs are getting up there in price, $500 is a decent deal. Even if you have to refinish it. $450 would be a solid price if the mags were junk (korean, tapco, promag)

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  20. etrain16

I wondered how long it would take you to find this thread ZA - Wait, did I hear someone talking AK's?! ;)