JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to one of the places I normally shoot on public land on the back side of Crooked River Ranch “now designated as steamboat rock recreational area” and the Bureau of Land Management's Prineville District (541) 416-6700 Has closed the whole area to shooting . How can they do that? I called them and they said that if I had a problem with it I could write my governor. I know what the rules say
On other public lands, discharging firearms within 150 yards of a building, campsite or developed recreation area is prohibited.
So how can they get away with closing the area and do they have the right to close it to shooting? I never heard any public meetings on it and I live in the area and read the local news paper and watch the local news on TV. If they can close this area then they can close any public land they want. I just wanted to put this up because it got my hackles up and I wanted to vent.

blm seems to be using the same policy as the forest circus " management by closure" and yes they can and do get away with it all the time. it aint right but it seems to work for them. dont look for thing to get any better any time soon. I have spoken with people from the forest circus and they say that as budget cuts become worse they just close areas to public access. that way they dont have to spend what little money they do have to manage the forest. I know, what a load of crap.

i used to live near that same spot and enjoyed shooting there often. but in years past Crooked River Ranch has grown right to the boundry of the blm land,building homes right on the line. not to sound in favor of them closing the area to shooting, many times there shooting into what seemed a good backdrop had alot of ricochets( including one into the fender of my truck). had numerous occasions local would drive up and ask us to stop bc they could hear the shots"going over our house". then someone or somebodys decided to boobytrap the roads with roofing nails. just decided to stop shooting there completely. there are plenty of other spots to shoot not far from there that are better anyway

you are close to this area any way. from terrebonne take lower bridge rd. cross the river and keep going. turn left on holmes rd go a couple miles or so and turn right on f.s. rd. 6330 or 1393 towards alder springs trail head. wide open country once you get to the top of the hill. if you have a 4x4 pickup you can cross squaw creek and go towards green ridge, lots of open country out there.

you are close to this area any way. from terrebonne take lower bridge rd. cross the river and keep going. turn left on holmes rd go a couple miles or so and turn right on f.s. rd. 6330 or 1393 towards alder springs trail head. wide open country once you get to the top of the hill. if you have a 4x4 pickup you can cross squaw creek and go towards green ridge, lots of open country out there.
I was about to suggest this exact spot but sheep beat me to it! This brings back memories as it was my stomping grounds when I lived in Terrebonne. Great spot - haven't been up there in quite a while though.

we didnt draw an elk tag last year, a friend of a friend suggested going there so we did. not many elk around, several nice bucks though. isnt that always the case. anyway it looked like a good place to just go goof around, shooting and such. several real nice little campsites right by the creek. rough road getting to the creek. the area is closed during the winter, end of november till april i think. enjoy and pack it out!

not sure of the road #`s that is what shows on google earth. the turn off of holmes road is kind of a pain to find, isnt marked but there is a kiosk and a gate about a 1/4 mile in.

If they can close this area then they can close any public land they want. I just wanted to put this up because it got my hackles up and I wanted to vent.

If only local sportsman followed the blm/fs as closely as the the enviros do-they (blm/fs) have to answer every one line letter sent from people who protest a timber sale, no matter how frivolous before they can go through with bidding. Why not do the same to their rec pet projects? The flip side is those protestors don't work 9-5 jobs (unless it's at a lawyers office) and have all this free time to do this.

Alder creek area is awesome +1

I climb at Smith Rock quiet often. I do not know much about the area other than the park itself, can anyone recommend a place that is close by where I can go and send some rounds downrange safely. People mentioned the BLM area behind the park, but I am not comfortable shooting there because there are so many people there hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding.

Thank you in advance.

you can cross squaw creek and go towards green ridge, lots of open country out there.
Yes you can but you cannot call it Squaw Creek anymore! It is now Wychus Creek. Remember, Oregon has changed the names of everything that had reference to Native Americans - but ditto on the area. Great place to hang out, shoot etc. Also Whychus Creek is a great spot to cool off on a really hot summer day but it can get crowded. I am probably going to be moving back toward Redmond soon and will no doubt be rediscovering this area.

Yes you can but you cannot call it Squaw Creek anymore! It is now Wychus Creek. Remember, Oregon has changed the names of everything that had reference to Native Americans - but ditto on the area. Great place to hang out, shoot etc. Also Whychus Creek is a great spot to cool off on a really hot summer day but it can get crowded. I am probably going to be moving back toward Redmond soon and will no doubt be rediscovering this area.

This is getting away from the orig. question, but I went down to where the Alder creek fire was last year. The most cougar sign I've ever seen in my life in Wychus creek canyon.

I know this is old but I just went to Alder Springs trailhead and they have the road gated off, no motor vehicles allowed! When did this happen??

I am looking for a place to practice with my rifles and handguns, please help. I don't have any desire to join a club/range.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top