JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Were the Oregon Plates STATE PLATES? or were they just a car with plates issued to anyone in the state of Oregon?

BIG DIFF.

Musta' been 2001-2-3? that that the father-in-law did census in Josephine county and was running around up in the hills down there with his own personal car and no state plates.

Mike

Musta' been 2001-2-3? that that the father-in-law did census in Josephine county and was running around up in the hills down there with his own personal car and no state plates.

Mike

The standard census door-to-door people are just temporary workers who use their own vehicles. Even a "permanent" census worker would be a federal employee, not state, so if they had an issued car, it would have federal plates, not state.

We are well off the beaten path here in Clark Co., I had a census guy show up at my door in 2010. I asked him how he got thru my gates and he told me that he'd parked and walked in. I asked him if he could read and comprehend what he'd read, he assured me that he could. He showed me his I.D. and I told him that it would be handy having his name to give to the Sheriff when I called to have him arrested for trespassing. He said he only wanted to complete my incomplete form that I'd sent in........I told him that wasn't going to happen, he left. I think you have someone checking things out to rip you off.

I agree with svxr8dr. I worked for the Census 2010 in San Jose, CA before moving up here. I helped run the activities outside and first and foremost, the census employees were supposed to identify themselves and show their id badges. Besides, they checked address with hand held computers prior to the census ever happening. I worked on those too. However, whomever told svxr8dr about the tax roles was wrong.

The census bureau does have a couple ongoing projects between the 10 year census. However, nothing like that. Something like the American National Survey. It is a huge questionair.

Anyway, bigfoot, this whole thing smells a tad fishy.

I just received this 'American National Survey' in the mail. I couldnt believe it. Says I am required by law to fill it out completely and return it. Got a post card a few days later to reaffirm the importance of filling it out.
I dont like it much.

I just received this 'American National Survey' in the mail. I couldnt believe it. Says I am required by law to fill it out completely and return it. Got a post card a few days later to reaffirm the importance of filling it out.
I dont like it much.

I believe "Eat feces" scrawled across in crayon is an acceptable way of filling it out.

I dont like it much.

During my time with the Census Bureau, I only saw the ANS a few times. It was not part of my particular work. When I first saw it, I was shocked, mainly at the questions that it asked. There was no way in HECK I would ever provide them the answers to the questions. Basic info, sure, they already have other ways to get that info. But bank account info or credit card info, don't think so. They can stuff that paper where the sun don't shine.

Somewhat off topic, but why would one not fill out the census information? I'm not super-keen on the guberment, but I got to think that an accurate census helps them estimate everything from tax revenue to social security planning.

Did you guys fill out your selective service form when you were young in crayon as well? I guess I'm just a sheep blindly following the rules (with a j-frame in my pocket)

Somewhat off topic, but why would one not fill out the census information? I'm not super-keen on the guberment, but I got to think that an accurate census helps them estimate everything from tax revenue to social security planning.

Did you guys fill out your selective service form when you were young in crayon as well? I guess I'm just a sheep blindly following the rules (with a j-frame in my pocket)

With the actual census, that comes around once every 10 years, I don't have a problem with the form. It is not intrusive, to my way of thinking and the government already has access to much of this information. However....the supplemental surveys the census bureau does between then can be very intrusive. Anything beyond Name, age, address, gender, cultural background IMHO is just intrusive.

Sounds fishy to me. I'm one of those people who answered the Census knocker with nothing more than a number (two in this case). Then I had to explain what enumeration meant. lol. Needless to say I got three more visits. All had I.D. and the third one told me she gave up on getting any more information from me and told me she pulled everything she had from the tax roles and I never saw the Census folks again.

That's about how it went for me on my first visit from the census people, now I don't open my door for anyone I don't know, or anybody who hasn't called ahead of time. Far as I'm concerned the Census is just one more way for our Gov't to check us little people out & give us a squeeze

I dont like it much.

If mail doesn't arrive via Certified or Registered delivery I have no problem putting it into the shredder. That post card would've been next.

I am appalled at the paranoia here. I am a fairly old guy who isn't good at tech stuff but even I know that if the government or anyone else wants to intrude into anyone's life, they can do so at any time without you knowing about it. Yet, a guy with glasses shows up in a car with license plates clearly in view and he's coming to do you harm?

Get over yourselves folks - it is very doubtful that you posses anything worthy of a government led clandestine operation fronted by a so-called census worker.

My goodness, it must be a mighty stressful life that you guys must lead! :s0131:

I'm obviously not nearly so paranoid as everyone here. One thing I've observed about the physics of human interaction is that just because you can't think of "any other reason," doesn't mean there aren't 50,000 "other reasons" that make a lot more sense than malicious intent or conspiracy.

I disagree with bkb only because of the recent incident in Oklahoma City with the young mother. People can use any excuse they so decide too to collect info. careful, but also I do agree with bkb on checking with the bureau.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top