JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If I say pleasant out refering to temp - I generally mean in the 60s F.

How do you say similar for C ?

Is 10-20 cool, or would it be 10-15 is cool ? etc

Ref:

Zero0°F-17.78°C
Freezing point32°F0°C
Body Temperature98.6°F37°C
Boiling point212°F100°C

1585415025333.png

Being a 'Northerner' I'm happiest at around 20C. Of course, spending just about all the first decade of the century in Tokyo cured me of any fleeting affection I may have had for heat...25C for me is passing my comfort zone, and 35C way exceeds it...

However, I DO like the crispness you get around -5/-10C - there seems to be a lot more going on in the wildlife world at those temperatures, mainly because the colder denser air carries more evidence of activity around.

We put a men on the moon and brought them back with US Imperial slide rules, chalk boards, birth control glasses and pocket protectors. They can send the metric system right back to those cheese eating surrender monkeys. ;)

For typical outdoor temperatures a close approximation is to "double it and add thirty." It is easier to remember and most people can do it in their heads.

Going from F to C subtract 30 and divide by 2.

Tried my hand at it ...

FC
10-12.2Damn
20-6.7Brrrr
30-1.1Cold
404.4Brisk
5010Cool / Cold
6015.6Cool / Pleasnant
7021.1Nice
8026.7Warm
9032.2Hot
10037.8No Thank you
11043.3Holy hell.

Just little 'aside' for those who blame the french for the Metric system - the inventor was a Swede........

Anders Celsius was a Swedish astronomer, physicist and mathematician. He was professor of astronomy at Uppsala University from 1730 to 1744, but traveled from 1732 to 1735 visiting notable observatories in Germany, Italy and France.

Note also that the US was not left out -

1585471337571.png
National Prototype Metre No. 27, made of platinum-iridium ca. 1890, was the US primary national length standard from 1893—1960. (Details from NIST.) :p

We put a men on the moon and brought them back with US Imperial slide rules, chalk boards, birth control glasses and pocket protectors. They can send the metric system right back to those cheese eating surrender monkeys. ;)
Actually only the displays and dials had US imperial units, while the computers were doing practically everything in metric, but translating to imperial units on the displays...

Edit. Its JUST easier for a dumb binary coded computer to do everything in metrics where its only factors of 10s instead of feet and inches and miles :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the Apollo construction was mostly using imperial measured pieces :rolleyes:

True story here in yUK. Uour NDN was rerouting some plumbing to his downstairs bathroom., converting it from a a service room back to a lavatory, and went to the local builders' suppliers to get some suitable copper pipe. Having carefully measured up, he asks the store clerk for 4.8m of domestic copper piping, Fine, said the clerk, will that be half-inch or three-quarters?

Actually only the displays and dials had US imperial units, while the computers were doing practically everything in metric, but translating to imperial units on the displays...

Edit. Its JUST easier for a dumb binary coded computer to do everything in metrics where its only factors of 10s instead of feet and inches and miles :rolleyes:

On the other hand, the Apollo construction was mostly using imperial measured pieces :rolleyes:

The same 'problem' from a shooting POV - the UK made its own imperial version of the FAL service rifle and inter-operability with those fellow nations who also had it in service went to rat-s**t.

You don't know how lucky you are - here in UK we suffer BOTH systems. Everybody ignores the metric system as much as possible, although our gas is sold by the litre, but remember that YOU all use the metric system every day of your lives - the $ is metric.

The weather forecast is in metric, but being ex-military both Mrs tac and I are used to that. Plus we lived in Germany for years and years.....

Anybody coming over here would look in vain for any sign of metrification here in yUK, apartv from weights and measures of loose groceries and meat products, but who the heck buys salami or a whole salmon by weight? You ask for twenty good slices of salami, or THAT salmon - no measurements are necessary. Land is still in acres [with hectares in brackets - who the heck knows how much 100m x 100m actually IS??

Crop yields are a mystery to anybody not into farming, but are measured by tons per acre, not bushels and so on. Road distances of any kind are ALL in miles, and will remain so. Only in Wales do they use anything other than miles - the Welsh word for miles is Milltir - see - literally 1000 steps after the Roman mile...cool, eh?

1585481053372.png

We also have loons hereabouts who like to shoot up road signs...

From my European tour I learned that to convert KPH into MPH (you know, because all of their speedometers are wrong), just times it by 6 and drop the last digit. It comes in pretty darned close for a quick conversion in your head.

Perceived temperature has a lot to do with context.
On the 1st sunny day after our 1st winter where it snows I went for a walk to soak up some rays was enjoying a lovely warm day.
As I passed the gas station I caught a glimpse of the thermometer - 43 deg.

That is very seriously cold. And, very seriously, you were very lucky NOT to have died. I got my entire face burned just crossing the street as I got off the transit bus at 'only' -25C in Ottawa, and although I had the good fortune to cover up pretty fast, it was touch and go with my ears and nose for a few days.

Now, almost twenty years later, my skin cancer is the result.

Perceived temperature has a lot to do with context.
On the 1st sunny day after our 1st winter where it snows I went for a walk to soak up some rays was enjoying a lovely warm day.
As I passed the gas station I caught a glimpse of the thermometer - 43 deg.
That is very seriously cold. And, very seriously, you were very lucky NOT to have died. I got my entire face burned just crossing the street as I got off the transit bus at 'only' -25C in Ottawa, and although I had the good fortune to cover up pretty fast, it was touch and go with my ears and nose for a few days.

Now, almost twenty years later, my skin cancer is the result.

Y'all should try repairing or troubleshooting industrial sized walk-in freezers and warehouses at -30F. When you've had frostbit fingers in the past, even gloves don't stop the pain... frostbite is forever. :s0058:

Y'all should try repairing or troubleshooting industrial sized walk-in freezers and warehouses at -30F. When you've had frostbit fingers in the past, even gloves don't stop the pain... frostbite is forever. :s0058:
YUP!
And what's worse, having suffered both ends of the spectrum, both Frost Bite, and Heat Stroke a few times, I now suffer a very dangerous health condition where my body no longer regulates it's internal temps properly!:eek: The Heat issue is more sneaky, but the Cold is what would likely kill me if i'm not careful!
I find a very narrow temp range of between 70 and 77 deg is perfect, any hotter and I start having issues, and any colder, my arms and legs start cramping up and then get cold, and the internal temps take a long time to bring back up once they start dropping! Last Fall, I stayed out too late jabberjawing with my cousin, and it was brisk out, went inside and holy crap, my legs were COLD, had to jump in the warm shower and kind of dance around to get the blood flowing and the temps back up! And it didn't feel cold!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top