JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ric,

Given the very low cost of itty bitty microwave ovens and their 'Faraday cage' benefit, it seems prudent to me lock up smart phones in them, if actual, portable Faraday cages aren't available.

Heck, you could mount a small microwave oven in your vehicle too as the smart phone's prison.

Hhmmm, a microwave oven could be carried in a backpack...

The possibilities to stop monitoring where possible are endless, a little whacked, but doable....

Oh, and keep siri in there too.

Ric,

Given the very low cost of itty bitty microwave ovens and their 'Faraday cage' benefit, it seems prudent to me lock up smart phones in them, if actual, portable Faraday cages aren't available.

Heck, you could mount a small microwave oven in your vehicle too as the smart phone's prison.

The possibilities to stop monitoring where possible are endless, a little whacked, but doable....

After reading this thread I might put mine in the microwave and turn it on.

@Hawaiian
Don't blame Siri.

if you have Google apps or Facebook that's where your problems are.

Disable microphone access to those apps.

Not kidding. Those are the culprits.

They have non-removable batteries.

Many also have forgone removable storage ( sd-cards )

I saw advice to keep your "keys", if you have one of those modern trucks with push button start, in the microwave. ( A microwave is a Faraday cage, does not have to be plugged in but door must be closed. )

A microwave is not a faraday cage. It shields for microwaves specifically, not a wider spectrum.

To prove such, simply put a cell phone in one then call it...

I'll defer to @Camelfilter knowledge. I have worked briefly in one - like a copper cubicle with holes - for wifi testing, but am no an expert on antenna etc.
I did see the suggestion in the article to put your keys in the microwave as to block signal from key fobs - I don't know which radio those use - ie bluetooth/nfc/wifi/etc ...

Got up the next morning and got on YouTube. 3rd suggested vid was "Atlas in a Studebaker". Coincidence? Not likely.

I see this kind of intelligence exposed all the time on our PC. We have the pop-up blocker going but we still get the little side ads embedded in various web sites. These are usually subject matter that are concerned with. It's pretty obvious that we are being watched. As is everybody else.

. let me tell you about my younger co workers. I now understand the why of Grumpy old men. I is one.

It's appalling the amount of time that is stolen from employers via people using private devices for communicating or cyber loafing on the clock. I've read that in some Amazon warehouses, employees aren't allowed to bring cell phones into the building. There was some stink about this. For a change, I say bully for Amazon. As a former worker ant, I would be a terrible manager to work for. Because I know what's going on with employee theft of time.

. alot of young people or phone junkies are to impatient or incapable of doing so .

I believe this is called, "The immediacy syndrome." Remember when we sent off for a mail order offer, "Arrives in six to eight weeks." Now people are impatient with overnight delivery.

This Has possibly cost me dearly or saved me a lot of trouble I'm not sure which.

Probably some of both.

They (.gov) listen to land lines, cellular telephones and have a blast with your computer too!

Remember the Russian trawlers that used to lurk just outside the territorial limits? Back even before cell phones, they were electronically eavesdropping on some large percentage of land line telephone calls that were being relayed by satellites. That started back in the 1960's. The trawlers had crews aboard to intercept and record these conversations, then they'd send the tapes back to some big building in Russia full of English translators. I used to think, "Wow, imagine the amount of garbage these guys have to listen to in order to get any tidbit of useful information." Which they no doubt got some of in this manner.

There is a HUGE amount of censorship coming down in guns/politics/history/debates and IT is coming from the L, R and in between!

So we have MORE censorship and limited results for news, historical events and actual transcipts but the INTRUSION aka snooping is getting worse on our end of the DEAL!

We might expect attempts at censorship originating from government; that it should come from privately funded sources is scary. We can see that the power of Facebook and Google has gotten too great and they are able to suppress opinions that they don't agree with. But they seem to be incapable of limiting intrusions by eastern European hackers and fakers.

Sitting here just now, the phone rang. We still have a land line phone in the house. A big reason our cell phones are turned off most of the time. So we get our share of garbage traffic on the land line. The instruments have a caller ID, so some calls don't get answered. But ad callers are starting to get smart, they arrange to have phones under person's names or from locations that might not be suspect. BUT: I'm wise to the predictive dialer that most of them use. If I don't hear a voice fairly quickly I simply hang up. Because the hesitation tells me that the predictive dialer is routing the call to a human in their call center. Lately, when I think the caller is fishy but I'm not sure, I pick up the headset but don't say anything. If it's a person, they will soon say something like, "Hello? Hello?" If it's a predictive dialer, it will hang up if it doesn't hear a sound.

So, there's a market for portable Faraday cages that'd work for smart phones.

Wish I had the talent to refine this idea into a workable size and let's put siri and e-devices in there too.

Or, simply do without any of it, but, but, but - ok, only time that'll be accomplished is when the big EMP hits so many preppers pray for...then we'll get back to hitching up the team and get to plowin...and bring back hoe-downs and quilting bees for the womenfolk and growin terbacky...YeeHaw, caint wait...!

Yeah it's pretty scary what tech companies have put into our everyday lives.
And that the NSA and other back the back door to it.

We always thought my Dad was crazy (he kinda is) after he retired from the CIA he would make us leave our phones in the car when we came over, he would tell us the govt can monitor us through the phones, and turn on the listening devices even though the phone is off.

We laughed it off as him being nuts.

This was in 2000-2002.

Ric,

How about a ammo can ?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top