JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This blew me away. I have heard about 'smart' items in your home listening to your personal family conversations, but it happened to me tonight.
I recently got an iPhone 11 Pro. It was on, but sitting on the desk sleeping, I thought.
Wife handed me a piece of mail, I opened it and then said to my wife, "it is from the Oregon Republican party asking for a donation."
I did not touch my phone or say 'hey Siri."
The phone woke up on its own and Siri posted links to websites about donations to the republican party. She also verbally announced something like, "here is information on donations to the republican party. Then the screen turned off again.
WTF???
So without touching the phone, I said, "Siri, stop listening to my conversations." She replied, "Sorry, but I am unable to do that."
WTF???
I turned off my phone. :mad::mad::mad:

You can disable Siri completely in the Settings:

Settings, Siri & Search, then turn off all the options. Or at least turn off "Hey Siri" so it requires a side button press to activate.

Welcome to 2019. :)

Lol Siri is the least of your problems. Trust me.

On an enrelated note, make sure to say Hello to your personal Alphabet agency stalker often. They get lonely during the holidays since they are busy watching you. I usually just wisper to her in my phone.

I like to talk dirty to Siri. A little part of me hopes someday she'll say something really filthy back to me. :D

Stuff every iPhone owner should do:
- Disable Siri
- Disable iCloud
- Disable Automatic Updates
- Opt out of sharing analytics data with Apple
- Disable Location Services for everything that wants to use it
- Reenable Location Services where necessary and only if the option is "while using this app"
- Limit Add Tracking
- Disable Fitness Tracking
- Kill Siri's ability to make suggestions
- In Safari settings, prevent cross site tracking
- Disable Share My Location

There you go. Should have a fairly decent phone now that won't know enough to tell you what you ate for breakfast or what you're going to eat for dinner.

Reminds me of the Kentucky Fried Movie scene where the lady hostage leads the undercover rescuer around the room pointing to all of the bugs while they make polite conservation, and leading to the man with headphones and a gaff microphone sitting in the corner.

I'm an old crab, not up with the times. But I have a crummy Android phone. If it has any of those automatic features, I'm not aware of them. I don't leave it on unless I'm actively using it. I'm not one of those people who is engaged on my phone all the time.

This can be a handicap when dealing with those who are. They expect an immediate response to any message sent. Good luck to them, I hate text anyway. But I sell stuff on Craig's List. I have my phone number on there, which is my preferred method. Some people would rather not call, for some reason. They send a message through Craig's List relay. Which is fine, I check into my email account a couple of times a day. I won't be yoked to my phone or computer. Not good enough for some people. These are the 24/7 people, they expect an instant answer. The other day, a guy sent a message about a CL item. I got back to him several hours later when I saw his message. The next day, he answered, "Thanks for your reply but while I was waiting, I found another one." Oh, I'm so hurt, and I needed his $20 badly to buy pablum for the baby.

I know, don't say it. "Get used to the future." I've already been told that on another thread. But those running their lives minute by minute on their phones should realize the entire population hasn't gone that way yet. Not completely, anyway.

Actually, I have two cell phones. One is the Android, which I don't use all that often. The other is a simple little flip phone. Mrs. Merkt and I have identical units. Mostly for communicating between ourselves when we are apart. Later version of the Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio. But when I left the house, I turned it on so I can be reached in an emergency. About a year ago, I started having vague chest pains. Not in my chest, but within the muscle tissue on the outside of the rib cage upper left. It was normal for me to carry my active cell phone in the cigarette pocket on my T-Shirt which was on the left side. Mrs. Merkt thought this was very fanciful, but one day I wondered it there was a connection between this pain and the electronic emissions given off by the cell phone. So I quit carrying it around in active mode. The chest pains went away. Coincidence, maybe? But now I won't carry my phone like that.

I'm an old crab, not up with the times. But I have a crummy Android phone. If it has any of those automatic features, I'm not aware of them. I don't leave it on unless I'm actively using it. I'm not one of those people who is engaged on my phone all the time.

This can be a handicap when dealing with those who are. They expect an immediate response to any message sent. Good luck to them, I hate text anyway. But I sell stuff on Craig's List. I have my phone number on there, which is my preferred method. Some people would rather not call, for some reason. They send a message through Craig's List relay. Which is fine, I check into my email account a couple of times a day. I won't be yoked to my phone or computer. Not good enough for some people. These are the 24/7 people, they expect an instant answer. The other day, a guy sent a message about a CL item. I got back to him several hours later when I saw his message. The next day, he answered, "Thanks for your reply but while I was waiting, I found another one." Oh, I'm so hurt, and I needed his $20 badly to buy pablum for the baby.

I know, don't say it. "Get used to the future." I've already been told that on another thread. But those running their lives minute by minute on their phones should realize the entire population hasn't gone that way yet. Not completely, anyway.

Actually, I have two cell phones. One is the Android, which I don't use all that often. The other is a simple little flip phone. Mrs. Merkt and I have identical units. Mostly for communicating between ourselves when we are apart. Later version of the Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio. But when I left the house, I turned it on so I can be reached in an emergency. About a year ago, I started having vague chest pains. Not in my chest, but within the muscle tissue on the outside of the rib cage upper left. It was normal for me to carry my active cell phone in the cigarette pocket on my T-Shirt which was on the left side. Mrs. Merkt thought this was very fanciful, but one day I wondered it there was a connection between this pain and the electronic emissions given off by the cell phone. So I quit carrying it around in active mode. The chest pains went away. Coincidence, maybe? But now I won't carry my phone like that.
Actually, I'm right there with ya (and am in my early 30's).

Email set to only update when I refresh it.

Text messages come in 100% silent, not even a vibrate.

Calls will vibrate. Oh well if I leave the phone in my car.

Push notifications silenced for all apps.

Yea, I got a flip phone at 17. Still remember living without one. Kinda liked it.

This blew me away. I have heard about 'smart' items in your home listening to your personal family conversations, but it happened to me tonight.
I recently got an iPhone 11 Pro. It was on, but sitting on the desk sleeping, I thought.
Wife handed me a piece of mail, I opened it and then said to my wife, "it is from the Oregon Republican party asking for a donation."
I did not touch my phone or say 'hey Siri."
The phone woke up on its own and Siri posted links to websites about donations to the republican party. She also verbally announced something like, "here is information on donations to the republican party. Then the screen turned off again.
WTF???
So without touching the phone, I said, "Siri, stop listening to my conversations." She replied, "Sorry, but I am unable to do that."
WTF???
I turned off my phone. :mad::mad::mad:
It doesn't matter that you turned it off....still records everything....welcome to the new world order.

I am also in this camp....

When folks tell me 'bout the latest in phones , but then complain about something with them...
I always answer :

Well you don't have to buy one....

Why buy something that makes you a slave to a phone ring or message light...?

If you didn't answer would the world come crashing down...?

Does the update information you are about to send or receive , matter more than the life that you are experiencing right now in front of you...?

And yeah I know that my thoughts on this are in the minority and I will be passed aside by those who are more tech savvy than me....but then I am happy with having one less thing to be accountable to or for....

As for devices that listen in on your information....yep , not surprised that the same device sends , stores , keeps track of and receives any information that comes its way.
Andy

I posted a similar thread a couple years ago but it seems to be getting more intrusive. Here's one that concerns me...
I was talking to a buddy on the phone a couple weeks ago. Asked what he'd been doing on his Impala. He said not much, mostly daydreaming about weird engine swaps. Then starts talking about a rather obscure one, known internally as the Atlas (GM inline 4/5/6 cylinders). He mentions that there isn't much in the way of swap info but he'd seen a YouTube video of a guy who had put one in a Studebaker. Then he started talking about something else. Mind you, I was just listening to him talk. All I said was, "What's going on with the Impala?"
Got up the next morning and got on YouTube. 3rd suggested vid was "Atlas in a Studebaker". Coincidence? Not likely.

I'm a member of that club as well. I could go on and on.... let me tell you about my younger co workers. I now understand the why of Grumpy old men. I is one.

Actually, I have two cell phones. One is the Android, which I don't use all that often. The other is a simple little flip phone. Mrs. Merkt and I have identical units. Mostly for communicating between ourselves when we are apart. Later version of the Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio. But when I left the house, I turned it on so I can be reached in an emergency. About a year ago, I started having vague chest pains. Not in my chest, but within the muscle tissue on the outside of the rib cage upper left. It was normal for me to carry my active cell phone in the cigarette pocket on my T-Shirt which was on the left side. Mrs. Merkt thought this was very fanciful, but one day I wondered it there was a connection between this pain and the electronic emissions given off by the cell phone. So I quit carrying it around in active mod
e. The chest pains went away. Coincidence, maybe? But now I won't carry my phone like that.

I'm the same way .it can be hours or days before I see I have a message..I don't seal the deal on anything through text or email. It Must be done via voice conversation. Bottom. Line is I really don't know who is texting or emailing me and I'm not meeting them anywhere unless they engage in a real conversation . alot of young people or phone junkies are to impatient or incapable of doing so .
This Has possibly cost me dearly or saved me a lot of trouble I'm not sure which.
I Do see people ( AKA VICTIMS) on the news that take things lightly ..

They (.gov) listen to land lines, cellular telephones and have a blast with your computer too!

I usually say, "Hello Big Brother!" I kid you not especially when I talk politics and guns on the telephone with close friends. Carnivore, Echelon, etc. Remember those names? They have newer names now.

I don't own a cellular telephone.

I do have a land line - home telephone.

I do have a computer with a cable connection.

I do have OTA reception for my boob tube. NO cable or dish there.

I have plain, electric plug in, battery and wind up operated radios.

I can tell that even though I have my computer's microphone turned OFF and my computer's camera turned OFF with thick paper and tape OVER it that the computer shows me LINKS to things even if I never did an internet search for them.

But I may or may not have mentioned something to my husband or on a land line telephone or the boob tube or radio had a commercial that was turned ON and the 'computer' even in the MICROPHONE OFF POSITION put up links to whatever was said by my husband, by my friend or by me.

Plus when I do serious INTERNET SEARCHES on any browser especially in guns, politics, debates, etc. the search RESULTS are getting more limited or censored, in my opinion, and the computer will CRASH, shut down and the screen says that they encountered such and such problem, NO KIDDING, and/or the THING in the news or history or on You Tube or on other YT like stations has been REMOVED or hidden so that you can rarely get the same SEARCH RESULTS.

There is a HUGE amount of censorship coming down in guns/politics/history/debates and IT is coming from the L, R and in between!

So we have MORE censorship and limited results for news, historical events and actual transcipts but the INTRUSION aka snooping is getting worse on our end of the DEAL!

I am not the only political, history and news junkie who has seen this. A few close friends of mine see it and my MT husband has seen it himself. Plus he has witnessed ME showing him these things with search engines and when the computer says that they FOUND A PROBLEM and IT shuts down something smack dab in the middle of a GUN forum posting or reading or in some internet search.

I could live without a computer but I would MISS reading a lot online. My MT husband said that he will NOT go without a computer at home.

He and I could live without the boob tube EASILY.

We would want to keep the radio though.

Cate

I'm the same way .it can be hours or days before I see I have a message..I don't seal the deal on anything through text or email. It Must be done via voice conversation. Bottom. Line is I really don't know who is texting or emailing me and I'm not meeting them anywhere unless they engage in a real conversation . alot of young people or phone junkies are to impatient or incapable of doing so .
This Has possibly cost me dearly or saved me a lot of trouble I'm not sure which.
I Do see people ( AKA VICTIMS) on the news that take things lightly ..

I'm the opposite, I'm hearing impaired talking on phones so my most viable option is email or text.
It's funny that most voices are incomprehensible but a few are rather clear... go figger...
I let calls that are not on my contacts list go to voicemail, due to the amount of robo spamming going on these days...
If a worldwide EMP were to happen and we get back to the basics then I would die content. :s0121:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top