JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
emailtplheader-new.jpg
On Wednesday, the Canby City Council will be asked to support a political statement against SB 941, the Oregon Firearms Safety Act.

Canby's Mayor Hodson and the City Council are about to be placed in the embarassing position of appearing to support the arming of criminals just so the gun lobby can make a meaningless political gesture.

Please contact the Canby Mayor and Councilors about Resolution 1217, even if you don't live in Canby. They are hearing from the gun lobby so they need to hear from us.

On June 3, the Council will vote on Resolution 1217 which was created by Councilors Traci <broken link removed> last week. At that time, the City Administrator and the City Attorney advised the Council that R. 1217 is not within the city's jurisidiction and it will not affect city services. As with the Lane County resolution against the Oregon Firearms Safety Act, this resolution has no effect and will not change any Canby laws.
Please contact Mayor Hodson and the Canby Councilors or attend the meeting in person.
Canby City Council Meeting
June 3, 7:30 p.m.
155 NW 2nd Avenue, Canby
Information about SB 941, the Oregon Firearms Safety Act

SB 941, the Oregon Firearms Safety Act:

• is constitutional under Heller and McDonald ,
  • is an extended part of the background checks system Oregon has had for over 20 years,
  • is funded by a $10 fee paid for by the purchaser,
  • will hold sellers accountable if a gun is sold to a prohibited person without performing a background check first, and
  • is an effective way to reduce gun violence.
87% of Oregonians support background checks, including 83% of Oregon gun owners. 1

Oregon voters closed the gun show loophole in 2000, but an estimated 40,000 to 75,000 guns are still sold annually in Oregon without a background check through private sellers.

Until SB 941 goes into effect, felons, domestic abusers, and the dangerously mentally ill can avoid the background check system by going to private sellers, no questions asked.

Exempt family members include parents, children, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, nieces, and nephews.

Background checks would not be required for temporary transfer. (For example, if a gun were lent for hunting for a short time.)

The private gun sale loophole is one reason why Oregon is one of 14 states where gun deaths now outnumber car fatalities. 2

Taking the responsible step of requiring background checks for private gun sales is the most effective way to reduce gun violence.

In states that require comprehensive background checks:

-48% fewer on-duty police officers are shot and killed, and

-46% fewer women are shot and killed by their intimate partners. 3

Background checks are simple and effective. During 2013 alone, Oregon's background check system prevented 2,215 prohibited persons from purchasing guns from licensed dealers and at gun shows (Oregon State Police data).

Background checks save lives. Let's close the private sale loophole now.

1. Americans for Responsible Solutions

2. <broken link removed>

3. Everytown for Gun Safety

Visit Ceasefire Oregon or Donate today.

HERE IS THE CONTACT INFORMATION. PLEASE CONTACT MAYOR HODSON AT 503-263-5528 OR [email protected]

Council President Tim Dale at 503-263-5524 or [email protected]
Councilor Todd Rocha at 503-263-5526 [email protected]
Councilor Traci Hensley 503-263-5525 [email protected]
Councilor Greg Parker 503-263-5527 [email protected]
Councilor Clint Coleman 503-263-5530 [email protected]
Councilor Tracie Heidt 503-263-5529 [email protected]

PLEASE RIDICULE THE STUPIDITY OF CEASEFIRE'S CRAZY ASSERTIONS

Thanks.

twitter-icon.png

facebook-icon.png

email-icon.png

separator.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Please lets have everyone show support for Resolution 1217 i.e. supporting the 2A and against sb 941. If you are a Canby resident or not, please show support for this Resolution. Please see above for the Council's names and addresses and phone numbers. thanks.

Do these lemmings see that they are being used? I thought the left were suppose to be so much more intelligent then we gun loving rednecks.
I really hope that one day these " activists " understand all they are is shills for the power hungry political elite.

The private gun sale loophole is one reason why Oregon is one of 14 states where gun deaths now outnumber car fatalities. 2
BS, where do they come up with this stuff?

I think it is part of attempting to change the mind set of the council members they try to intimidate them into making dumb decisions--but those that are favorable to the left. The best way to approach this is to ridicule the opposition and concurrently state the facts to the council. Look up the research on the net on the use of ridicule to intimidate politicians. Please send emails in support of the Resolution. Thanks. tkdguy

Without knowing what the rates were prior to enactment in EACH incident quoted these figures are meaningless

FTA:

Without knowing what the rates were prior to enactment in EACH incident quoted these figures are meaningless

Your right:
1. Per Everytowns own analysis paper, Oregon has 49% fewer on-duty police officers killed than in states with background checks.
2. 46%? What Everytown isn't saying (compared to Oregon)
----About half of the "states with background checks" have rates comparable to Oregons.
----The other half? Their non-gun domestic violence homicides are on average TWICE the gun-homicides averages.

The attached picture is something out of my testimony. It throws some additional water on the gun-control advocates claims.

StatesOregon.JPG

FTA:

The people that make those kinds of statements are truly brain cell deficient.
They make zero sense and Fully alinskyized remarks that mean nothing at all.

At what threshold does an "increase" become meaningless and misleading (i.e. a lie)? The 46% fewer women number, like the MAIG 38% number used before it, is reported in deaths per million women. Usually, rates are reported as some number per 100k population. Everytown is widely known as a gun control group. What many do not know is that they are also good at cooking, and the Bliss Ninnies eat it up like Augustus Gloop eating candy.

They also are getting some of their numbers from the Violence Policy Center, which initially sounds like some spur off a governmental agency. Its truly just a sickening mess of hatred against guns.

The one thing i found interesting, but shouldnt surprise me a bit, was their finding of news articles where concealed carry folks got arrested or charged with crimes, committed suicide or such. They have coined them as "concealed carry killers".

In short, thir numbers dont really mean squat to me but it was intersting to see how they twist things up. Never underestimate the enemy!

They also are getting some of their numbers from the Violence Policy Center, which initially sounds like some spur off a governmental agency. Its truly just a sickening mess of hatred against guns.

The one thing i found interesting, but shouldnt surprise me a bit, was their finding of news articles where concealed carry folks got arrested or charged with crimes, committed suicide or such. They have coined them as "concealed carry killers".

In short, thir numbers dont really mean squat to me but it was intersting to see how they twist things up. Never underestimate the enemy!

I like how they use that statistic. Equating CHL holders and their rate of gun use for evil stuff makes lots of juicy talking points for them, but people with 2 actual functioning brain cells know better.

Having a CHL makes you as likely to commit a crime or kill yourself in the same way that having a driver's license makes you as likely to drive drunk or get mad and drive your car into a wall. They like these stats because they are sensational and easy to track. Regular people who just buy a gun for their home and never carry it (or get a CHL), people who use a gun for evil that they did not purchase (borrowed, stolen etc.) aren't as easy to track as CHLs revoked because of felonious activity or death by suicide.

It is like saying because you own a bicycle, you are more likely to be a fisherman.

These retards have assigned magical mind control powers to guns and pieces of plastic with your picture on it, so any of their statistics should be given the same level of scrutiny and attention that you would give someone who escaped a lunatic asylum who is screaming in the street.

The made up statistics are meaningless to us because we know the truth. The statistics are for the talking heads to spew to the uninformed masses so nobody will stand against the agenda.

Using their own numbers to find rates of crimes committed just shows that concealed carriers are far more law abiding than the general public.

They promote "junk science"; their studies are not those that are published in academic professionally reviewed publications which controls for the quality of the study.

"...including 83% of Oregon gun owners..."

I would never have guessed that many Oregon gun owners are either idiots or hypocrites.

Completely made up using circular anti-firearm references, just like all their other "facts". Read the poll details and you will see that it was taken almost entirely in liberal dominated urban areas where you would expect to get that type of response.

yeah, and also they didnt tell the people they were polling just how they were going to enforce a background check on private sales, all they ask was ...do you support background checks on private sales to criminals?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top