JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No such thing as "gun violence." Guns are not violent. They are a tool. Do we have auto violence? Hammer violence? Knife violence?
It's the people that are violent.
Unfortunately yes to hammer violence:

I can see it now, it will follow Covid death reporting.
Here's a scenario:
While using a meat mallet to tenderize that London Broil, you accidentally smash your thumb with the mallet. It's bad, so you go to the ER.
Doc looks at it, you joke, "it's not as bad as Garand Thumb." Doc writes it up as firearm related injury. Health insurance denies coverage.

And another:
Gramps dies in his bed of old age. His entire life he slept with a gun, even when grandma was alive. The paramedics set the gun aside and note it in their report. Cause of death, firearm violence. Suicide is an exclusion in his life insurance policy - insurance company attempts to deny payout.
It's ridiculous, but that's pretty much the methodology used by the "study" that determined that owning a gun makes you twice (or 3 times, whatever) as likely to die prematurely. I don't remember the actual statistic or the name of the study (Brown? Braunschwieger? Something with a B) but they included EVERYONE who died, car accident, work accident, piano fell out a window onto their head, whatever... as long as they had a gun at home and were dead, they counted.

Thoroughly discredited and debunked years ago, the numbers still get cited by antis as proof that they are, in fact, stupid.

It's ridiculous, but that's pretty much the methodology used by the "study" that determined that owning a gun makes you twice (or 3 times, whatever) as likely to die prematurely. I don't remember the actual statistic or the name of the study (Brown? Braunschwieger? Something with a B) but they included EVERYONE who died, car accident, work accident, piano fell out a window onto their head, whatever... as long as they had a gun at home and were dead, they counted.

Thoroughly discredited and debunked years ago, the numbers still get cited by antis as proof that they are, in fact, stupid.
I could believe there is some truth to those numbers. It's reasonable to assume that a firearm owner may be willing to take more risks in life.

Just FYI: this is the third thread on this topic.
Here's the other two:
Winner winner chicken dinner. My thread was started at 8:02am Friday:)

Winner winner chicken dinner. My thread was started at 8:02am Friday:)
Just FYI: this is the third thread on this topic.
Here's the other two:
All 3 merged...

That would be the Kellerman Study, done in King County WA. It purported to show those living in a household with a firearm were something like 40 times more likely to be killed with a gun. What it really proved was that Arthur Kellerman had little interest in the truth, and that people who live where you are more likely to be shot at are more likely to have a gun.

They took statistics for people who didn't own guns from nice neighborhoods and statistics for gun owners from bad neighborhoods. Surprise! The gun owners got shot more often. They included only incidents that resulted in death, ignoring successful self defenses where the perpetrator was not killed. Something like 95% of defensive gun uses in the U.S. result in no shots fired.

That would be the Kellerman Study, done in King County WA. It purported to show those living in a household with a firearm were something like 40 times more likely to be killed with a gun. What it really proved was that Arthur Kellerman had little interest in the truth, and that people who live where you are more likely to be shot at are more likely to have a gun.

They took statistics for people who didn't own guns from nice neighborhoods and statistics for gun owners from bad neighborhoods. Surprise! The gun owners got shot more often. They included only incidents that resulted in death, ignoring successful self defenses where the perpetrator was not killed. Something like 95% of defensive gun uses in the U.S. result in no shots fired.
Worth noting that even Kellerman himself renounced his own study...

Hammer1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads