JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let's see…

Executive
Legislative
Judicial

1630089640078.jpeg
FBI
CIA
CDC
ATF
IRS
MIB

Why is the Center for Disease Control even talking about firearms...
I think I can kind of understand why death statistics related to firearms would be given to the CDC. On its face it makes no sense since the CDC deals mainly with statistics related to disease and illness, but this also makes them probably one of the best agencies for auditing deaths caused by other things as well seeing how they already have systems and procedures in place for reporting and gathering information from hospitals, mortuaries, morgues, etc.

If the government were to assign this task to another agency, say the ATF, that agency would have to start from the ground-up when it comes to developing reporting systems for gathering these statistics.

This is all just speculation on my part of course, and there may be another government agency that would be better for this task that I'm simply unaware of.

It's always been odd to me that the CDC continually tries to pull gun violence into their purview. Everyone already knows it's politically driven but the grandstanding is annoying.

I would like the Center for DISEASE Control to answer what DISEASE gun violence is. If it is in fact a CRIME then they need to leave it to the criminal justice agencies. We don't need the jurisdictional overreach.

The CDC is a well rounded organization, sort of a jack of all trades. I suppose they should tackle voting next. It's really not healthy to have to stand in line and present ID to vote.

Last Edited:
I think I can kind of understand why death statistics related to firearms would be given to the CDC. On its face it makes no sense since the CDC deals mainly with statistics related to disease and illness, but this also makes them probably one of the best agencies for auditing deaths caused by other things as well seeing how they already have systems and procedures in place for reporting and gathering information from hospitals, mortuaries, morgues, etc.

If the government were to assign this task to another agency, say the ATF, that agency would have to start from the ground-up when it comes to developing reporting systems for gathering these statistics.

This is all just speculation on my part of course, and there may be another government agency that would be better for this task that I'm simply unaware of.
You are seriously all wet!

"On its face it makes no sense since the CDC deals mainly with statistics related to disease and illness, but this also makes them probably one of the best agencies for auditing deaths caused by other things as well seeing how they already have systems and procedures in place for reporting and gathering information from hospitals, mortuaries, morgues, etc."

The NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, already is set up to report deaths by Automobile Violence, since guns are not diseased, the NHTSA makes a lot more sense.

Admitting one's problem is the first step in formulating a valid reason for said malady
LOL. I was at the gun shop picking up my new purchase, which was a bit of retail therapy. I said "man, I've been really frustrated with work, so I bought this, wait, that didn't come out right". :s0005:

You are seriously all wet!

"On its face it makes no sense since the CDC deals mainly with statistics related to disease and illness, but this also makes them probably one of the best agencies for auditing deaths caused by other things as well seeing how they already have systems and procedures in place for reporting and gathering information from hospitals, mortuaries, morgues, etc."

The NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, already is set up to report deaths by Automobile Violence, since guns are not diseased, the NHTSA makes a lot more sense.
NIH would be more appropriate than the CDC:

NIH's mission is to seek fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce illness and disability

We already have the FBI with their Uniform Crime Reports that deals with homicides by everything including guns :rolleyes:
The article in the other thread on this states that they want to collect info on how many people are treated in ERs for wounds, and whether the wound was self-inflicted, resulting from an assault, etc. Not just homicides, but non-fatal injuries as well. How they will translate that info into "gun violence prevention" is anybody's guess.

NIH would be more appropriate than the CDC:

NIH's mission is to seek fundamental knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application of that knowledge to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce illness and disability
They will determine that almost everyone with a gunshot wound was shot by a gun, therefore ALL guns should be banned.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top