JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shot out the window? With people inside? Sounds pretty reckless to me.

Maybe I'm not the only person to think about this, but you know those times when people will say what good is an unloaded gun, may as well be a rock? I would tend to think there was a safer way to "break a window" with that firearm rather than discharging it.

Shot out the window? With people inside? Sounds pretty reckless to me.

Maybe I'm not the only person to think about this, but you know those times when people will say what good is an unloaded gun, may as well be a rock? I would tend to think there was a safer way to "break a window" with that firearm rather than discharging it.

You ever try to break safety glass with a window rolled up?

I agree with you Blitz...good job by this guy. We can either act OR live in the world of hypothetical what if's and analyze everything till its too late to do anything. The car was already upside down and submerged, quick thinking saved lives...good thing he didn't run to the hardware store to borrow a crowbar.

As a side note, I didn't catch in the article where it said he used a Glock.

Willden, who jumped into the water with his father, said he tried unsuccessfully to open windows and doors. He then used his firearm just as he had done in training for his current job as a bodyguard and Department of Defense contractor.

When seconds count, why screw around?

I also carry a Buck 110 everywhere I go, including at work where the blade length makes it illegal under company policy. It comes in handy for cutting open bales of hay, etc. Willden had to cut seat belts. Imagine doing that with a 2 inch blade in cold water, when you can't see what you're doing very well.

I somehow doubt they trained to shoot out windows of an upside down car in water with occupants.

Very true, don't need to what if things. Just seems like a risky move.

Ultimately, glad things worked out and that shooting out the window didn't hurt anyone any further than they already were.

The guy said he had shot his gun under water a few times and pretty much knew the trajectory would be and pointed the gun towards the roof of the car so the bullet would only travel a couple inches before lodging in the ceiling material.

Sounded to me like he had it figured out.

Ever watch someone shoot a gun under water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah buddy.... yeah I don't understand why someone would only think that a gun is only good for taking a life. I would use a gun to bust glass or whatever. If you don't have a window punch and your go into a river and you have a gun... duh!
Speaking of shooting at glass or whatever.... when I got my armed guard license... my instructor said that a 9mm will not penetrate through the front windshield of a car, because it's tampered so the 9mm will get deflected. I can't get myself to agree with that comment so does anyone know for sure? at this point I have to say that a 9mm will go through the front windshield of a car.

Yeah buddy.... yeah I don't understand why someone would only think that a gun is only good for taking a life. I would use a gun to bust glass or whatever. If you don't have a window punch and your go into a river and you have a gun... duh!
Speaking of shooting at glass or whatever.... when I got my armed guard license... my instructor said that a 9mm will not penetrate through the front windshield of a car, because it's tampered so the 9mm will get deflected. I can't get myself to agree with that comment so does anyone know for sure? at this point I have to say that a 9mm will go through the front windshield of a car.

Windshield glass isn't "tempered" it's layered with plastic between the sheets like some bullet proof glass is. The side glass is tempered and shatters into lots of little pieces when it breaks.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top