JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was bumming around with a friend today and he stated how upset he was that his wife will be able to get her ccw permit and he wont be able to because he has a medical marijuana card. I told him that i thought he was able to get it, but he says that he can not. This was a conversation we had about an hour ago and from the little research that I have done it looks like he can get it. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? Thank you for information.

Shane

Here is an excerpt from OFF FAQ:
Q.I am a gun owner (residing in CT right now) who has a concealed carry permit in Connecticut. I am planning to move to Oregon, because it has the best medical marijuana laws (no “selling” of MM allowed). It has been suggested that if I should get a MM prescription that I would have to give up my concealed carry permit, and would not be allowed to own or possess firearms. What does Oregon law say about this, if anything?

A. Oregon law says you can have a CHL and guns with an MM card. Our Supreme Court decided this recently. However, Federal law prohibits pot users from owning guns.
There are people here who have both, but at any time (as has already happened) the Feds can swoop in and shut down any MM dispensing facility because they violate federal law.
Dealers have been told if they even suspect you have an MM card to not sell a firearm to you.

FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State. - Oregon Firearms Federation

From what I researched you can get a CHL card if you have a medical marijuana card in Oregon

From the federal point of view, you would have to put that you use an illegal substance on your background check paperwork when you purchase a firearm and a federal agent could arrest you if they find marijuana and a firearm together. Obviously, lying on that form is a big no-no

So, ok from the state point of view, highly not ok from the federal point of view.

<broken link removed>

They're not going to come breaking down the door if the sheriff feels you don't qualify for a CHL. If approved, don't go to a dispensary or co-op carrying if you're afraid of getting popped.

i agree partly with the reasoning behind denying a person the right to carry for using meds that change their state of mind but it is something that doesnt make since in the broader scope. a person that has long term Rx of opiates can still carry legally which can be just as mind altering. being a person who has been known to indulge from time to time (dont worry its been a long while) on mj i can tell you i wouldnt feel right using a firearm after and but any responsible firearm handler would feel the same way. all the same its ridiculous, and should be looked at a bit further. the thing is, a person cannot use that meds in public nor are they allowed to be in public after using it, so how would it affect their ability to handle a weapon properly if they are following the rules?

See: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf
Question 11e Are you a user of ... marijuana ...

Mary Jane is a Controlled Substance.
The One has his police forces raiding, arresting and prosecuting otherwise law abiding citizens for its possession, use and distribution. Even when State law says it is ok - ie Medical marijuana.

I strongly suggest you discuss this with a lawyer, getting a felony conviction will drastically change your gun rights.
Having a CC permit does not mean will posses a weapon, of course.

I know a guy that has his permit and his MM card.
It's a federal thing. The feds have told the gun shops around here that they can't sell guns to folks they know have a MM card,so a CWP (please drop it) wouldn't go too well on the federal level.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top