JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I live in NC and have a valid CCW permit here. I'm planning a trip to visit Seattle and Portland this fall, and I've been trying to figure out what my options are for CCW while visiting.

1) Seattle (more generally, WA): Washington has CCW reciprocity with North Carolina. "No guns" sign means you can be asked to leave. No gov't buildings and schools of course. This seems fairly straightforward - unless I'm missing something?
2) Oregon: they don't have CCW reciprocity with NC, and since I'm not in a surrounding state I can't get an out-of-state permit. (Non-)Option 1 is illegal CCW... Option 2 is open carry. How much would this be frowned upon if I were to open carry in/around Tacoma for a few days?

Any other tips on local rules/regulations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not allowed in bars in WA, open or concealed.

Idk about open carrying in Tacoma. Never tried that.

I would never admit to illegally carrying or advising someone to do so. Having said that...

I know what I would do if it were me.

Firstly, Welcome to NWF!

Carry concealed? Don't confess, don't tell, don't ask, don't flash, don't print.
Nobody will ask you to leave, have a 'tude, be a turde. They just won't know.
Avoid metalish detectors.

Open carry if you must, but plan to be an instant sensation.
You're out-of-state ID will spark curiosity.

I live in NC and have a valid CCW permit here. I'm planning a trip to visit Seattle and Portland this fall, and I've been trying to figure out what my options are for CCW while visiting.

1) Seattle (more generally, WA): Washington has CCW reciprocity with North Carolina. "No guns" sign means you can be asked to leave. No gov't buildings and schools of course. This seems fairly straightforward - unless I'm missing something?
As mention no carry in bars, however anyplace that has a separate area from the "bar" and is not posted 21 and over you are good to good. Tommy C's in Port Orchard is a great place
You might want to have a copy of the states we have reciprocity with in case you have a traffic stop. but we also have no requirement to a cop unless he ask. open carry is completely legal and to date I have had 2 comments on my open carry, both positive. Not that it matters but if you have a loaded firearm in the car that is considered concealed carry and would require a permit.
Banks and credit unions are legal to carry in concealed or open carry.

2) Oregon:
How much would this be frowned upon if I were to open carry in/around Tacoma for a few days? Not at all since Tacoma is in WA.
Oregon is a little different so get better suggestions that what Rick has posted.

Multnomah County (where Portland is located) has made it illegal to carry any loaded firearm unless you have a CHL or are on official duty (LEO, Military, etc.). If you're caught with loaded gun on you or in your car, you'll be in some trouble. If you carry without a CHL, it will be illegal. If you try to do open carry, plan to be stopped, cause someone will rat on you. The county has bumped up as close to the state preemption as they can without crossing that line.

Oregon is somewhat gun friendly, but not in Portland/Multnomah County - it's the center of anti-gun sentiment here.

Take a look:

<broken link removed>

Unfortunately, Oregon isn't reciprocal with anyone right now. Maybe that will change at some point, but that's a long shot in this State.

Aside from that, enjoy your trip. Oregon is a beautiful state.

re: WA Carry - Bars -- a lot of places have a restaurant and a bar attached. The Ranch House in (well west of ) Olympia is one I highly recommend. You can be fully strapped up in the Restaurant portion of those places. ( Being from NC and I am sure you would want to sample some PNW BBQ - The pit master has won some impressive cooks.) The RAM on the Tacoma waterfront is another place with a restaurant and separate but attached bar. I also recommend The Harmon - near the Auto museum and across from the Glass museum.

Oh, you said Seattle .... um well, um ... geeze I avoid Seattle. Tourist places all around. Lincoln Toe-ing - good tourist photo-op

Also if you watch COPS! You can see just how Pierce County treats people.

Also - Vancouver is both North of Seattle and South of Seattle - so be specific with directions. The Vancouver North of the 49th will not appreciate your Firearms, not at all! But its a beautiful city/area.

Hello all,

1) Seattle (more generally, WA): Washington has CCW reciprocity with North Carolina. "No guns" sign means you can be asked to leave. How much would this be frowned upon if I were to open carry in/around Tacoma for a few days?

Any other tips on local rules/regulations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Only time I OC here in Tacoma is with my agency badge on my belt or in uniform. In the right part of town it'd maybe be a good way to get shot.

In other words I'd highly recommend NOT doing it in the city limits. The locals carry discreetly and don't let anyone know who doesn't need to know.

I've lived and worked here for 15 years so YMMV, FWIW.

not only does Portland prohibit unlicensed loaded open carry you cant even have any magazines loaded. the next part is as I understand it but furthermore you cannot deny search/inspection by an officer if you answer yes to having a gun in the vehicle. http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?a=332592&c=28514

Thank goodness for state preemption. PDX/Multco are enemies to lawful gun owners. The voters in this area should be ashamed that they allow such infringement of their rights. Thankfully the state constitution limits what these fools can get away with.

All,

Thanks for the info! This has been very helpful as I prep for the trip. I've never been to the Pacific Northwest so it should be fun!

Specific responses:
-- Rick: I feel ya, I really do. However, I would rather not risk getting in trouble with the law while carrying my go-to pistol (Sig P229 E2) and being 3,000+ miles from home...
-- MarkAD and and etrain16: excellent information. I hadn't realized the bar-specific part of that law. The guys I'm traveling with are beer connoisseurs so I'll keep that in mind.
-- Simonpie: I frequently say Tacoma when I mean Portland - my sincerest apologies to residents of either area. I meant Portland in this case, since it's in Oregon :)
-- RicInOr: I'm all about some BBQ so I'll definitely have to check out the Ranch House! And yes, I was kinda figuring I'd have to leave the heater at home if I ventured north of the border (which is definitely in the plans).

One other thing I forgot to ask: my EDC knife is a Kershaw Blur straight-edge (about a 4-inch blade). Any nasty knife laws that I could run afoul of with that in my pocket?

... for WA state, any blade less than 4.5" in length is covered by the RWC codes; EXCEPT for Seattle downtown - 3.5" or less!

Some other municipalities may restrict knife blade length even further; example - the fair city of Auburn, WA, still carries a 2.5" knife blade restriction (Bueller, is that right?)

No knives on federal or school properties.

Another aspect that's important to know - and applies to your Kershaw.

Automatic knives are illegal; switchblades are in this category.
The Kershaw has a closed bias so it's not a switchblade.

The Blur does not have an assisted opener - push on the blade to get movement started.

The Blur does have dual thumb studs - same as a button or a flipper - and that form of operation, well that's a no-no.

You cannot conceal any length fixed blade; you will raise eyebrows if you open carry a fixed blade knife.
Don't even think about open fixed knife (of any blade length) carry downtown Seattle, please.
You're not in the bush. Mate.

There's no preemption laws, so any city/county an make restrictions.

Read this: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Be safe ...

You'll see warning signs outside the bars in WA. When I visit Seattle I eat outside the bar in the attached restaurants if I am carrying.

Many places have a family section and a "No Minors" section. Stay in the family side and you are good to go. I do it all the time.

That a good point as we had pizza at Zeek's. There were other families with children there eating in the family area outside the bar area.

Great thread , even for a local. Since knives were mentioned...

Alot of folks don't know the city of Vancouver, WA has overly restrictive knife laws as well. I see a whole lot of folks in my day to day that would run afoul of this one. I wish state preemption applied to knives the same as it's does with firearms but I digress..

From the city website :

Section 7.11.010 Definitions.
a. "Dangerous Knife" means any switch-blade knife or fixed-blade knife; and any other knife having a
blade more than three inches in length,

b. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently
open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword,
bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight, edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or
shaving appliance.

c. "Switchblade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, having a blade that opens
automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring mechanism, or other device, or blade that
opens, falls or is ejected into position by force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal
thrust or movement.

Section 7.11.020 Unlawful possession of dangerous knives.
a. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to carry concealed on one's person any dangerous knife.

b. It is unlawful for anyone knowingly to possess any dangerous knife concealed within a vehicle when
the dangerous knife is within reaching distance by any vehicle occupant.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top