JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm three months into being an Idaho resident and formerly held a CA CCW. I can't get an Enhanced CCW for another 3 months and I've finally figured out (I think) that I don't technically need a license to carry. I'm going to get one anyway and I assume the license comes in hand if you have an encounter with LE (e.g., traffic stop) you have a means of proving your eligible to carry.

One area of confusion regards "storing" your carry gun in the car. California required a lock box for a loaded handgun, but it appears ID requires a stored gun to be unloaded. I'll do this, but don't like unloading and loading a semi-auto in a vehicle unless I really have to do so.

Not looking for legal advice, but I wouldn't mind someone else from ID giving a thumbs-up to my analysis.

My understanding, the six month caveat is remedied when you obtain an ID DL. You have exchanged your california dl within 30 days of establishing residency/employment per ID statutes haven't you?

Further, since residing in ID, got your ID DL, your CA permt/license becomes null and void 90 days after you leave/move out of the CA county which issued the permit/license. [21650(a)(3) http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=26150. ]

Further, I presume you have checked handgunlaw.usa for guidance on firearm(s) transport in a vehicle or state of ID website, State of Idaho

most Idahoian's i am personally acquainted with only get the enhanced permit/license if they are planning to carry in elsewhere in this nation.

Most states (not sure I know of exceptions) consider you a resident for most purposes (except for college tuition, which is where a LOT of people cheat) once you get a driver's license there. Most of these states require something like a utility bill, rental/lease agreement, etc., to get that license, ditto for voter registration. Once you have these, you are considered a resident. Not sure about special exceptions for concealed carry in Idaho.

I'm three months into being an Idaho resident and formerly held a CA CCW. I can't get an Enhanced CCW for another 3 months and I've finally figured out (I think) that I don't technically need a license to carry. I'm going to get one anyway and I assume the license comes in hand if you have an encounter with LE (e.g., traffic stop) you have a means of proving your eligible to carry.

One area of confusion regards "storing" your carry gun in the car. California required a lock box for a loaded handgun, but it appears ID requires a stored gun to be unloaded. I'll do this, but don't like unloading and loading a semi-auto in a vehicle unless I really have to do so.

Not looking for legal advice, but I wouldn't mind someone else from ID giving a thumbs-up to my analysis.

Stop the press!
You had a California CCW permit?

What were you? Cher's body guard? :D

I seem to recall that the permit is for reciprocity - so that if you go to a state that has reciprocity you can show you have a permit? I think in this way it is like Wyoming where that is the reason they have permits since they also have concealed carry without permits?

It is a good idea to get the permit, but as you say, within ID you don't need it?

I cannot speak for ID but if you are concealed carrying it can/should be loaded. If the ID law is as you say then if you lose control of it (i.e. glovebox, trunk, suitcase, etc) then it has to be unloaded.
My eye-opener was that if I put it in the glovebox and I have a passenger in that seat, then, since he is closer than I am, he can be charged with weapon possession since I would no longer be in control of it. Never in a glovebox again for me.

ID does have a "License" which you can get independent of the Enhanced Permit. I suspect, and this is only a guess, that if your 25 and look 18 it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the License since under 21 you can't conceal carry in a city. That's why the whole license thing is a bit confusing. Also, if you're unsure of your eligibility (e.g., a criminal offense while a junior) you might want to get a license to ensure eligibility.

Regarding CA CCW I lived in San Benito County which issues, but not without background check, class, 3 references, 500 question MMPI test and interview with a psychologist (no kidding). The MMPI is a scaled down version of the the T/F test that LE candidates take.

In CA a CCW permit holder can leave a loaded gun in a lockbox when exiting the vehicle; this is a big plus when going into a no-carry situation. Since this is an exception in CA it's explicitly spelled out in the penal code as allowable. Prior to the most recent set of laws, however, it was ok to simply lock the car; frankly, I prefer the lockbox idea myself.

Regarding the Enhanced CCW the requirements on the AG website seem pretty clear that you must have been a resident for six months, but I'm taking the Enhanced CCW class in a few weeks so I'll get the official rundown.

The difference between CA and ID gun law-wise, is that CA is so restrictive that you only need to know what you can do, while ID is so permissive (a good thing) that you only need to know what you can't do; this is the way it should be.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top