JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Adding to my earlier mention of USCCA coverage, I recently learned they cover all types of defense situations, not just those involving guns; for example, using a handy 2x4 to whack an attacker.

Unfortunately every plan I have checked out has a clause that allows them to drop you at anytime :eek::eek:
I would not read too much into that. Generally I believe most insurance policies have that as a protection against fraud foremost, and abusers (excessive claims) secondly. No one can drop you in the midst of a claim. That is against the law in most states.

By profession, I am a risk manager who has worked in the field of liability claims and liability insurance for 35 years. I see that some of these products mentioned are legal service plans, and not insurance policies. In my field, we have an acronym: RTFP for read the 'fricking' policy. The insuring agreement and exclusions are key to help you understand what is actually covered and what is not. If I was looking into a legal service plan or insurance policy, I would ask for a sample copy of the actual service plan or policy to see what is covered. Ask also about the financial assets and backing of any service plan; since they are not an insurance company or selling an insurance product, they are likely not regulated by a state regulatory agency, and what happens to the members if the plan runs out of money due to numbers of claims or inadequate finances?

I did a lot of research many years ago and found that the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network fit my needs the best. I went with USCCA for a year or so but they became quite commercialized and I was inundated with constant nudges for additional services… similar to what the NRA now offers with its "Cary Guard".

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network was established and is still operated by folks who carry concealed and not just in it for profit. They provide training and up to date news on CCA issues, including attorney answers to questions posed by members.

Hopefully I will never need the services that they offer, but if I do, I feel pretty confident that they offer the best "after-incident" support available.

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network
<https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/learn>

FAQ's
<https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/learn/frequently-asked-questions>

The Firearms Press is Talking About the Network
<https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/learn/media-coverage>

What Every Gun Owner Needs to Know About Self-Defense Law
<https://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/learn/media-coverage>

… My two-bits!

^^^Just upon a quick review of the pages above: it sounds as if it is at the discretion of the Network to disburse funds to the members for a legal defense after the initial legal fee deposit of up to $ 25,000. Conceivably, they could refuse to do so. I also don't see any sort of financial coverage or indemnification for a civil claim against you after a self-defense shooting.

Washington state, along with some other states, provides that a defendant shall be reimbursed for the costs of defense in a criminal proceeding if a self-defense claim is upheld by the Court (RCW 9A.16.110). So if you don't have the liquid cash immediately available for a legal retainer or bail, a plan like this could be useful to start your defense, and you would then pay the Network back if you are reimbursed by the state.

Last Edited:
I found reading all the various plans to be a very confusing task. Not easy to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

I was basically down to CCW Safe and ACLDN. What I found telling was that CCW Safe chose not to compare themselves to ACLDN.

Quick Comparison of Service

To me, when you compare yourself to 4 competitors but leave one out, makes me wonder.

1. Are they leaving them out because they know they don't compare favorably?
2. Do they not consider them to be a viable competitor?

I think there are enough people, just from this site alone, that have selected ACLDN that I believe #2 is not the reason CCW Safe left them off the comparison list.

I ended up going with ACLDN

I found reading all the various plans to be a very confusing task. Not easy to make an apples-to-apples comparison.

I was basically down to CCW Safe and ACLDN. What I found telling was that CCW Safe chose not to compare themselves to ACLDN.

Quick Comparison of Service

To me, when you compare yourself to 4 competitors but leave one out, makes me wonder.

1. Are they leaving them out because they know they don't compare favorably?
2. Do they not consider them to be a viable competitor?

I think there are enough people, just from this site alone, that have selected ACLDN that I believe #2 is not the reason CCW Safe left them off the comparison list.

I ended up going with ACLDN

Easy to see why ACLDN doesn't get compared & it's likely the same reason why you chose them:eek:
Ever hear the old saw about getting what you paid for?

All the comparisons being done by CCW Safe are between plans that start at $445 per year and up--ACLDN only charges $135 the first year & less after that-- While I hope you do receive the same benefits folks who pay 5 times what you paid get, I doubt you willo_O

Just noticed CCW Safe also offers an economy plan for $179, it isn't on their review either

Last Edited:
Generally I believe most insurance policies have that as a protection against fraud foremost, and abusers (excessive claims) secondly. No one can drop you in the midst of a claim. That is against the law in most states.

What you're saying is literally true, but be aware that other than NRA carry guard the CCW "insurance" companies are structured as more like a club or association, to avoid the morass of insurance-specific laws that the NRA is currently mired in.

I noticed
Easy to see why ACLDN doesn't get compared & it's likely the same reason why you chose them:eek:
Ever hear the old saw about getting what you paid for?

All the comparisons being done by CCW Safe are between plans that start at $445 per year and up--ACLDN only charges $135 the first year & less after that-- While I hope you do receive the same benefits folks who pay 5 times what you paid get, I doubt you willo_O

Just noticed CCW Safe also offers an economy plan for $179, it isn't on their review either

Fair enough, but the old adage also applies, that just because something costs a lot, doesn't mean it is worth it.

I like that ACLDN sends a $25K retainer right away and you can pick your attorney. Both plans can ultimately reject supporting your defense.

Excellent video from posts #5 and #14 - worth watching the whole thing, but if limited on time:

At 20:00 he tells you what plan characteristics to avoid.
At 25:00 he tells names of 3 companies he recommends and what he likes about each one. The 3 are: CCW Safe, USCCA, and ACLDN.

My takeaway from the video: insurance is an excellent idea, but avoid a self defense incident if at all possible.

Last Edited:
I went with USCCA- but Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network was a close second. I feel like I did my homework and found that like a good spouse- there is NO perfect, just what suits YOU individually.

Here's what went into my choice of USCCA

They pay attorney fees up front, to the monetary limit you choose per plan level. This is not a reimbursement plan.

The coverage applies to any state you happen to be in when you are involved in an incident. (Some other company's plans may be state based and exclude some states)

The coverage isn't limited to use of a CCW firearm. It's whatever lawful means of force you employ in defense. (Gun, knife, bat, hands/feet etc) (This was a HUGE factor for me)

I was able to add mirror image coverage for my spouse at 1/4 of my cost. (Also huge benefit to me)

Financial coverage is for criminal AND civil representation.

Overall- I've read on other blogs that "insurance is a scam." Scam? In my opinion, individual companies may well be shady, but that's in anything. I do believe defensive force insurance is a great idea, and there is no better legal advisor than someone who specializes in defending the armed citizen.

You just want to make to pick the company that suits your needs.

Be safe!

Rick Shaw

Washington state, along with some other states, provides that a defendant shall be reimbursed for the costs of defense in a criminal proceeding if a self-defense claim is upheld by the Court (RCW 9A.16.110).

So essentially if you have the means to pay the trial costs up front, and never put yourself in a situation where the self defense ruling would be questionable, then carry insurance makes no sense right? I despise the insurance industry in general and the less of it I need the better...

Washington state, along with some other states, provides that a defendant shall be reimbursed for the costs of defense in a criminal proceeding if a self-defense claim is upheld by the Court (RCW 9A.16.110).

So essentially if you have the means to pay the trial costs up front, and never put yourself in a situation where the self defense ruling would be questionable, then carry insurance makes no sense right? I despise the insurance industry in general and the less of it I need the better...
That is great as long as you don't venture outside those states.

I'm rolling with Carry Guard
I like supporting the NRA whenever I can.

Do you understand that Carry Guard is a reimbursement plan? Carry Guard will front the initial retainer for your attorney but you are on the hook for everything after that. And then if you are found not guilty, Carry Guard will reimburse you.

So it's very possible you would still need to come up with a very large sum of money to cover your legal defense. I'm all for supporting the NRA but they truly seem to have about the worst program out there. Most people simply don't have the means to front a very expensive self defense trial...hence the point of the insurance in the first place.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top