JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many Oregonians I've shot with recently have been increasingly suportive of USCCA. I've been told specifically and in person by Ken Starrett (OFF Founder) that not having USCCA insurance in the city of Portland would be foolish. I too am a skeptic about a lot of insurance but I took Ken's advice on this one. The legal aftermath of a self-defense shooting in Multnomah County would be the worst possible in the state of Oregon. Especially Portland.

Last Edited:
When I was a youngster I read that insurance is a bet against yourself. I believed it then and still do today.

Since then, I've watched how the insurance industry has expanded and the costs for insurance has become staggering. Even scarier is how closely the insurance industry and politicians have become in recent decades. If enough people buy into the insurance need; then, the legal industry starts looking to get into the action which drives the prices of insurances even higher.

Soon, it will cost too much to be a part of the shooting community.

Have you noticed how insurance has caused the cost of most everything to go up as well? Cars all have expensive transponder keys because the insurance company demanded they need to--doesn't appear to have kept crooks from stealing our cars. Knee airbags are now required on all 2018 models--I recall when a Mazda mini truck cost $5k--that won't happen again:eek:

When I was a youngster I read that insurance is a bet against yourself. I believed it then and still do today.

Since then, I've watched how the insurance industry has expanded and the costs for insurance has become staggering. Even scarier is how closely the insurance industry and politicians have become in recent decades. If enough people buy into the insurance need; then, the legal industry starts looking to get into the action which drives the prices of insurances even higher.

Soon, it will cost too much to be a part of the shooting community.

I dont buy life insurance for this exact reason.

ACLDN still makes sense to me and why I am a member, especially in light of the recent USCCA issue ...
Washington USCCA Non-Renewal

My understanding, after conversing with ACLDN regarding the recent USCCA issue, is that USCCA, like other plans, offer insurance-based, post-incident support in WA, NY, CA and other restrictive states that rely on traditional insurance policies and underwriters. These plans fall under the regulatory thumb of state bureaucracies.

ACLDN was formed as a 100% membership benefits program which provides the freedom of not being at the mercy of insurance underwriters and other outside influences deciding what they can and cannot do in support of their members.

For those who may be interested…
ACLDN (Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network)
Learn

ACLDN still makes sense to me and why I am a member, especially in light of the recent USCCA issue ...
Washington USCCA Non-Renewal

My understanding, after conversing with ACLDN regarding the recent USCCA issue, is that USCCA, like other plans, offer insurance-based, post-incident support in WA, NY, CA and other restrictive states that rely on traditional insurance policies and underwriters. These plans fall under the regulatory thumb of state bureaucracies.

ACLDN was formed as a 100% membership benefits program which provides the freedom of not being at the mercy of insurance underwriters and other outside influences deciding what they can and cannot do in support of their members.

For those who may be interested…
ACLDN (Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network)
Learn

If this happens in Oregon ACLDN will be my move without a doubt.

This may have been posted here before: please let me know if so and I'll remove it. Keep in mind it was last updated 11/2/2018. E4484ABF-6572-47A5-AE08-D2469FBA04C3.jpeg

Many Oregonians I've shot with recently have been increasingly suportive of USCCA. I've been told specifically and in person by Ken Starrett (OFF Founder) that not having USCCA insurance in the city of Portland would be foolish. I too am a skeptic about a lot of insurance but I took Ken's advice on this one. The legal aftermath of a self-defense shooting in Multnomah County would be the worst possible in the state of Oregon. Especially Portland.

There are two recent self defense cases in Portland that you should be familiar with.

How after independent journalist Mike Strictland had to pull his firearm to prevent a beat-down from Antifa, Portland DA Rod Underhill went out of his way to take away his Second AND First Amendment Rights. Michael Strickland Archives - Victoria Taft

The second is that of small business owner Charlie Chan. A drug addicted homeless man threatened to kill him and torch his business then lunged forward. Chan shot him once in the gut with a small 22 revolver and the guy died. The grand jury declined to indict Chan for any criminal wrongdoing, yet some scumbag lawyer sued Chan on behalf of the homeless mans family and a $400,000 civil settlement was paid. Insurance agent hit with six figure settlement after shooting homeless man

Kevin Starrett spoke at length about Mike's case in my Use Of Force 101 class. Un - f*cking - believable.

The Chan case is the same. When I saw it in the Oregonian I could barely handle it. Business owner who killed homeless man sued for $1.1 million

Things like this, along with being threatened by meth addicts and transients, make me want to move out of Portland. I came here from New York City in 2001 in seek of solace, and to be closer to some family in town. Boy have things changed.

Yeah, I remember just 12 years ago bringing the kids to Downtown Portland for a theater play, a day at OMSI, staying in an overpriced west side hotel, walking to family diner and the next day riding the MAX to the Zoo. No way in hell that I would do that now.

Yeah, I remember just 12 years ago bringing the kids to Downtown Portland for a theater play, a day at OMSI, staying in an overpriced west side hotel, walking to family diner and the next day riding the MAX to the Zoo. No way in hell that I would do that now.

It's crazy. I remember taking the MAX and using the TriMet system in general, paper tickets and all. I had just moved here and had no car, but I also didn't mind public transportation. To me it was simplified compared to NYC subways / buses. Maybe even more relaxed. Today I wouldn't do that if someone paid my fare. I've lived all over Portland during my time here and it's just gotten worse, no matter where I've moved.

I believe all concealed carriers should choose some kind of protection or "insurance". I became a USCCA member a couple years ago after researching other options and assessing my financial condition, chosing to go with their mid-level "Platinum" membership at a cost of $30 a month. What I get is their education and training, magazine, and "perks". What I value most is the protection they offer:
Legal Protection
  • $1,000,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Civil Defense & Damages
  • $150,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Criminal Defense, Bail Bond Funding & Attorney Retainer
  • 24/7/365 Critical Response Team
  • Your Choice of Criminal Defense Attorney
  • Up-Front Funding For Criminal Defense & Bail Bonds
  • Protection For Use Of ALL Legal Weapons
This seemed to be the best option for my needs living in Portland and carrying daily. I think $30 a month is a great value. If your assets and resources are greater, go with the "Elite" membership at $47/month. If on the other hand you are just getting started or have minimal assets and resources, I'd recommend the "Gold" membership at $22/month. I pray I never need it but carry with peace of mind knowing my family won't suffer undue financial hardship because of some unforeseen situation. Be prepared, that's my advice.

I believe all concealed carriers should choose some kind of protection or "insurance". I became a USCCA member a couple years ago after researching other options and assessing my financial condition, chosing to go with their mid-level "Platinum" membership at a cost of $30 a month. What I get is their education and training, magazine, and "perks". What I value most is the protection they offer:
Legal Protection
  • $1,000,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Civil Defense & Damages
  • $150,000 in Self-Defense SHIELD Protection For Criminal Defense, Bail Bond Funding & Attorney Retainer
  • 24/7/365 Critical Response Team
  • Your Choice of Criminal Defense Attorney
  • Up-Front Funding For Criminal Defense & Bail Bonds
  • Protection For Use Of ALL Legal Weapons
This seemed to be the best option for my needs living in Portland and carrying daily. I think $30 a month is a great value. If your assets and resources are greater, go with the "Elite" membership at $47/month. If on the other hand you are just getting started or have minimal assets and resources, I'd recommend the "Gold" membership at $22/month. I pray I never need it but carry with peace of mind knowing my family won't suffer undue financial hardship because of some unforeseen situation. Be prepared, that's my advice.

I 100% agree with you about some sort of insurance. I would purchase the Platinum myself, even if it were more expensive. After hearing Kevin Starrett speak on the cases mentioned above - there's just no price on that type of protection to me.

Would USCCA protect you in a case like Mike Strickland's? I see having to draw and not fire as a much more common situation.

Yes, in fact you're covered even in a non-firearm defensive case such as if you use a knife or (presumably) hand to hand. Their page advertises "Protection For Use Of ALL Legal Weapons" for all membership levels.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top