JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Choosing the right one. There are a lot of up front cost paid but that doesn't mean free. I'm sure there aren't many billionaires holding people up, so at the end if the day it looks like you'll still be out of thousand$ when Billy the Kids tries to shoot you. He won't have any resources to recoup your losses.

These policies cost in most cases only a few hundred a year but it's so unlikely one will really need it. To me the more likely case is an altercation with police that would lead to an arrest. From what I saw it seens more like they give you a referral than cover that under the policy.

Interesting plan, top tier plan seems to completely beat the competition. Still need to do more research, but perhaps this will be the new carrier for my coverage. Seems to be the most robust I've seen to date. Might be saying Bush bye to USCCA...

Anybody have experience with any of their competitors?

You want to be sure you read the fine print. And that you're buying a true insurance policy and not a "reimbursement" policy.

I believe the NRA product is a reimbursement policy where you basically have to front most of the money for your defense and then if you win, you will get reimbursed. Heck if I could afford to front the money for my defense, I probably wouldn't need insurance in the first place.

You may find this video useful and there are others out there too. Note that the attorney in this video (Andrew Branca) is pretty highly regarded in Self Defense law. He also has a book out called "The Law of Self Defense," and it's a pretty good read on when you can and can't use deadly force. Note that it's pretty dry though due to the topic but there's good info in it. You can pick up the digital version of it for about $10. :)

OP, while you state liability insurance is a 'no brainer' but over and over the only folks who benefit are the insurance entities.

First, are you a conscientious carrier of a SD weapon, knive, handgun, or spray device, who is aware of your situational environment the majority of the time?

Second, do you seek or purposely place yourself in hazardous situations where you need to have a hair trigger reactive attitude?

Third, besides the companies shock & awe 'true stories' rhetoric told by the insurance entities explaining why you need their product, or how many 'righteous' SD scenarios, that can be verified, have you heard about in the newspeek media where a citizen needed this type of liability insurance?

Fourth, contemplate you get wrongly accused, your policy out of tim-buc-too says they will cover ya! Ever thought about where the judical representative is going to come from for you living in rural po-dunk nowhere America? Remember, lawyers must be Bar certified in the state they are going before the bench. So Joe legal beagle in your town who represents minor criminal cases before the local bench is now your attorney in this wrongful suit or criminal case involving you.

Finally, how many newspeek media reports have you heard about where claimants have to fight the insurance company to get restitution on a justified claim for other liability or house claims.

One other thing to consider...OJ was found not guilty in criminal court but lost everything in civil judicial proceedings which these shock & awe insurance entities do not cover for JQ Citizen.

Bottom line, what is your exposed risk of requiring judicial representation if you personally adhere to numbers one and two above? [and other firearm SD caveats not mentioned]

Right or wrong, I bet our friend in Fla wishes he had SD insurance. Looking at that thread, how many think it was legit shooting vs not? What EVERYONE agreed with was his defense would cost him his life financially.

Whether or not you take extra liability coverage (I'm think I'll bet on myself and not), THIS option looks solid TO ME. It not only covers firearms SD, but other forms of SD as well.
Previously, I didn't think this type of insurance too important and had your same mindset. In my current world, on a daily basis I now see road rage incidents, walking drug zombies hanging around many a corner and underpass. As a realtor, come across signs of homeless/druggies in many a vacant house I look at. Sometimes even them still there. Thank goodness none of the incidents have become confrontational.

Just yesterday I was sitting in traffic near our current state fair when a truck with 4 fellows stated yelling irradically out their window at who knows what. At the next stop, two jumped out of the truck and run between cars (I'm watching through my mirror, most other drivers in their own world) and ran up on a car 3 or so in front of me and tried to open the doors. Scared the hell out of the people in it.
Turns out they thought they knew the car, wrong! The two in the other car almost shat themselves, other drivers freaked as the folks ran past in the traffic. I had my SD weapon in my lap once I noticed the behavior and saw the doors open and them exit.
Had they ran up on my car, I would have pointed at them or at the least, showed my firearm. Think that might have caused an incident? In this world, I could see the crazy "yoots" transforming into "victims" of a "gun crazied man with an Arsenal" (you know, spare mag and extra box of ammo in glove box) assualting them.

For what I pay for all my current insurance, car, home, landlord, life, business etc. I see a bargain for ~$180/yr. It's not a reimbursement plan, it's not a cut rate lawyer network and they don't "review" the situation before they decide if your insurance even kicks in.

Thanks for this. Imo, this is the best looking plan yet. Debating on adding the civil liability extra, but nice they would cover your defense in a civil trial. It may be cheaper buying an umbrella policy or seeing what my home owners covers first.
Think of it as a 16 dollar addition to your home owners plan. I hear reports of self defense incidents crushing legal costs post incident.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top