JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only reason Oregon CPL is not honored in WA is because OR does not honor WA CPL or any other states permit as I recall cause Oregon is special you know. People in Oregon could change that.
I wish, but the direction Oregon's legislature is going, I don't expect them to enact such sensible reciprocity measures. Instead they want to strip rights away. Unless you're an illegal alien, of course :oops::(:mad:

The only reason Oregon CPL is not honored in WA is because OR does not honor WA CPL or any other states permit as I recall cause Oregon is special you know. People in Oregon could change that.
Yes, special like CA, HI, IL, NY, NJ, MD, MA, CT, & RI. At least OR is may issue for CA, WA, ID & NV.
Some people in OR are trying to change that by becoming part of Idaho.:D

The reason there is a spiff between Oregon and Washington is that Oregon requires those with a CPL to get some training where Washington does not...

I carry all three Or, Wa Ut... but if you go East Cost several will not recognize anything...

You can carry concealed in Wa when hiking or hunting, however you are required to be a local when doing so...

To be honest I think it's ridiculous that Oregon CHL isn't honored in Washington; California I could understand their F'ed but Washington CHL is valid in a bunch of states!

I agree with you, and subsequently have both CCLs.
My understanding is that because Oregon requires a class, and WA does not, Oregon is unwilling to recognize WA permits..

If my understanding is incorrect, please educate me.

My first comment and I actually have something relevant to contribute!

This is also shout-out to the Vancouver WA Police Department, Records Department. Just applied for my WA CPL today with fingerprints and everything. Called them on Monday, had an appointment less than 48 hours later...easy peasy...minus $49.25 for the fee (not sure how much Vancouver PD gets to keep vs the state).

I have a current Oregon (Portland home-base) CHL. Applied for the Utah CFP last Nov '20 and received it January '21.

Growing up in King County WA, I still have my first (expired) CHL from 1995 - back when it was a yellow paper card stock with type-writer ink, and actual ink finger-prints on it (like the old Bi-Mart cards which I still have too).

Getting a non-resident WA CPL seems like the "right" thing to do since I carry across the Columbia R. and not relying entirely on my Utah reciprocity (especially since I haven't been to Utah in years) - must be a growing up in the "PNW" thing.

Long-story-short: If you apply for a WA CPL as a non-resident in the Portland area, check with Vancouver PD first. They have a short appointment waiting time versus Clark County Sheriff. Cowlitz County Sheriff was accepting appointments online for non-residents too but they are based in Kelso

. . . now just have to wait 60 days for approval . . .

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm good but I'm worried about arguing the nuances of the law with a cop should I be questioned. Maybe I'll print a copy of the rcw section and keep it on me.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm good but I'm worried about arguing the nuances of the law with a cop should I be questioned. Maybe I'll print a copy of the rcw section and keep it on me.
". . . print a copy of the rcw section and keep it on me." -- That's also a really good idea for carrying with a CHL/CPL/CFP in a reciprocity state. The individual in authority may not know nuances of the law, or which state(s) are reciprocal.

My understanding is that because Oregon requires a class, and WA does not, Oregon is unwilling to recognize WA permits..

No, Oregon doesn't recognize ANY other state, no matter what the terms of getting the license may be. The rest of the world just isn't good enough for Oregon!!:s0140::s0140:

I'm Wa resident and have Or permit as well. Never been asked to take, or have I taken a training class.

I'm Wa resident and have Or permit as well. Never been asked to take, or have I taken a training class.

When I got mine I seem to remember a 'class' requirement that could be fulfilled by hunter safety class, or an online class. It wasn't like Utah where it was a 2 hour sitdown class with a test.

Citizen A (Tigard OR),

Check with Vancouver City PD. I received my WA non-resident concealed pistol license in the mail yesterday -- 7 days after applying and finger-printing.

For less than $10/yr ($49.25 for a 5-year non-resident CPL), you'll get some peace of mind crossing the Columbia R.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top