JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd call the sheriff's office for the county you'll be hiking in.
@OldTengu - good advice.

I just read both RCW 9.41.060(8) and the statute it refers to - RCW 9.41.050.
The way RCW 9.41.050 is written, there is an implication that the person possessing the firearm is a resident of Washington.
I wonder if there are some other statues that reference firearms possession / concealed carry, that provide definitions.

If I was in your shoes I'd follow @OldTengu's advice call local LEOs.

I open carry while hiking myself

I've done both. I typically CCW when hunting and OC when hiking. Mostly because I have enough crap on my belt already when I am hunting and wear a shoulder holster under my vest and jacket. And when hiking, it was in warmer weather.

Last Edited:
Maybe hike in Oregon? Use the AllTrails app a lot of excellent hiking trails in OR and WA. In all seriousness I have had the same problem. Use your best judgement it's your decision. If you feel the need to you then by all means just understand legal ramifications of carrying and the possibility of having to discharge. Different situation but anytime I go to the range at English Pit which is located in Vancouver and I only have a CHL in Oregon I just say F it and lock my guns up. To me it's not worth the hassle of losing my Oregon CHL nor do I want to be arrested and my firearm taken. Your circumstances may dictate otherwise. To be honest I think it's ridiculous that Oregon CHL isn't honored in Washington; California I could understand their F'ed but Washington CHL is valid in a bunch of states!

The only reason Oregon CPL is not honored in WA is because OR does not honor WA CPL or any other states permit as I recall cause Oregon is special you know. People in Oregon could change that.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Hiking, walking your dog, going to /from a park or any other legitimate outdoor recreation area exempts anyone from the CPL requirement.

Or even crazier: A non-resident CCW in WA!!
Agree. A non resident WA CPL is easier to get than a UT CFP. While my ID & UT permits are recognized in WA, I also have a WA CPL. Fill out the application, pay the fee and get fingerprinted. Could not be simpler and you do not have to worry about reciprocity laws changing.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top