JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have to attend a family event in Wa. that happens to be at a church event. Is it legal in Wa. to carry concealed (with permit) in churches?

If anyone can share the RCW or paraphrase I would be grateful.

I do especially in churches.
Have at multiple weddings too.
Many deranged and evil people see gatherings of friendly meek folks as soft targets, sheep to slaughter.
We (I) carry 24/7 to prevent that.
Not to sound distasteful but, The lord would agree. ;)

Carry on garth!

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Even school buildings are not "off limits". It's only if the building is used "exclusively for school events" and most rent space out for other uses. However, if you try it, be ready to be arrested and tried.

(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

Last Edited:
Thanks everyone. I've been stuck on my smartphone all day and wasn't certain if I could get home to google my answer. I also forgot about handgunlaw.us which validates everyone's replies... no mention of church prohibitions. My short answer is yes to churches, no to bars and schools and federal buildings.

Deen_ad a quick look on hangunlaw.us shows me that a person with a Wa. CHL can carry on school grounds only during the duration of picking up or dropping off a child. Much more restrictive than Oregon.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

Deen_ad a quick look on hangunlaw.us shows me that a person with a Wa. CHL can carry on school grounds only during the duration of picking up or dropping off a child. Much more restrictive than Oregon.
But, that's not what the law that I quoted and posted says! Read it again, also remember that Handgunlaw is not the final word on laws, even their site says so.

Where we have made every possible effort to insure these maps and information are accurate as of the last update found in the top left corner of this page, it is your responsibility to verify the data offered.

By using any of these links or information provided here, you agree to hold harmless and without liability, PC Solutions, Inc., Steve Aikens, Gary Slider, or any provider of such information.

You are responsible for validating your own information.

Did you even notice that part where I warned that if you tried it be prepared to be arrested and tried?

In Vancouver several of the churches rent school gyms or auditoriums for their services, so the building is NOT being used exclusively for school use so it SHOULD be legal to carry during the church period. I don't plan on being a test case though!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

Last Edited:
[QUOTE="so it SHOULD be legal to carry during the church period. I don't plan on being a test case though!

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"[/QUOTE]

I'd rather ask for forgiveness after I've had to use my CC then leave it at home on the off chance I may be breaking a law. It's a CC so no one should know you have it anyway... Unless your waving it around ;)

May want to rethink your signature :cool:.

<ed to be arrested and tried?

In Vancouver several of the churches rent school gyms or auditoriums for their services, so the building is NOT being used exclusively for school use so it SHOULD be legal to carry during the church period. I don't plan on being a test case though!

Deen, you need to read the rest of .280.
(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

Read the part... in? There is no exclusivity clause there. Section (1) of .280, talks about being "On" premise not "in".

So, if say, your son had a city rec baseball game at a school, you could carry on the field because it is not being used exclusively by the school. But if it was an indoor basketball game, section (6) applies.

Even if picking up or dropping off your child as exempted in (3)(e) of .280, (3)(e) isn't exempted in section (6). Don't go into a school building armed in WA... period.

It's my understanding that if it is a public school or university/college it is legal to carry. I'm I wrong?

You are wrong on the public school part. I honestly do no know about colleges. Would that fall under a private school? And if so I'm not so sure that makes a difference.

I have carried at a university but honestly didn't think much of it at the time.

I'd rather have it and ask for leniency or forgiveness then to not have it. In fact, jail sounds better then dead to me personally, but a good attorney can get most people off the hook - if you can afford it.

Colleges in WA are fine as they are not primary or secondary education as laid out in .280. There is a WAC code that defines carrying at higher ed, but that applies to Students and Faculty. You risk being expelled for carrying on campus, but as you said it... Would rather be alive then dead.

Deen, I see what your saying now but as a visitor to the state I'm not going to be the test case. It does look like if a church or other function rented or used a space on school property it would be allowed. It sounds confusing the way its written.

Deen, I see what your saying now but as a visitor to the state I'm not going to be the test case. It does look like if a church or other function rented or used a space on school property it would be allowed. It sounds confusing the way its written.

WA RCW's use "And/or" and "On/In" as a direct descriptive. Unless it says "On and In", it's NOT On and In.

.280 is pretty clear that unless certain exemptions are applied (none of which 99% of us get), there will be NO firearms allowed IN school buildings, regardless of exclusive use or not.

deen_ad,

Very glad you posted our "Disclaimer." Handgunlaw.us is not the last word on carry laws. It is just a start to help people in their search for what is not legal/illegal in each state. Laws are very gray and even Judges/Attorneys/Law Makers etc argue everyday exactly what they mean and don't mean. It would be nice if the laws were black and white and then we would not have all those Law Suits/Court Cases/AG Opinion.

As the disclaimer states you need to research further. Even some states have a disclaimer on their websites that put out into for those who carry stating that what they have posted is for informational purposes only and not the law. So confirm! It is you that will pay the price for trusting in any source.

At my church we don't have an official security team, however there are several active duty police officers, several retired police officers, active duty military and several people that I personally know, including myself, that have CCL attending services. I feel pretty safe knowing the likelihood of one or more of us is carrying during church services is pretty high. A church is a VERY soft appearing target to a deranged gunman and this is why I feel it is important to go armed. As for the law I have never read any statute stating it is against the law in WA. Like many here though, I would rather ask for forgiveness than be dead target. Just my two cents.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top