JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's the deal. You guys are confusing RCW's and wac's. Only one applies to the general public. That's what RCW's are for.
WAC stands for Washington ADMINISTRATIVE Code. It only applied to state employees and students. Even then their is no legal action they can take against you. Only administrative.
If you're an employee that could mean termination. If you are a student it could mean expulsion. That is it.
When I was in college I made the choice to carry because my life is the most valuable thing I own. Why would would I jeprodize that over a freakin' rule? Not a law. A rule.

thanks for all the responses, I did not mean to start a lengthy discussion. For what it is worth, I did not see any signs, because it was an action, I was carrying cash, so I wanted to have some protection, and I did have mine at all times without issue. There were also a few officers of the law there as well, so they also knew it was a potential for a crime.

So to summarize, I saw no indication that I needed to disarm, so I did not.

cheers!

Even if you do see "indications" as you call them. You might also make sure you know the law. The biggest, coolest sign, or even someone telling you they are not allowed does not make it law. It has to be a legal sign, stating the law you would be breaking, assuming you do not fit one of the exemptions (they like to leave those out).

If someone with the ability, asks you to leave for any reason, gun or not, it is trespassing.......

Even if you do see "indications" as you call them. You might also make sure you know the law. The biggest, coolest sign, or even someone telling you they are not allowed does not make it law. It has to be a legal sign, stating the law you would be breaking, assuming you do not fit one of the exemptions (they like to leave those out).

If someone with the ability, asks you to leave for any reason, gun or not, it is trespassing.......

I totally understand, my original query was one of expediency, I confess I did not want to do all the research and was short on time. Clearly the law is the law (most of the time) and signs do no make the law, community collages are private organizations and can make up their own rules.

this discussion brings up an area I've never been clear on: WAC. Does WAC have force of law the same way the RCW does?
The following is a good explanation of the difference between RCW's and WAC's, from - of all places - yahoo answers.
First the simple definition:
RCW are statutes, passed by the state legislature or by vote of the people. (legislative branch)
WAC are administrative regulations, or rules, adopted by state agencies. (executive branch)

RCWs can affect the entire population, or just a group. WACs govern the state agency.

For example, let's say the state legislature passes a law regulating the manufacture of widgets, called the Widget Management Act. (WMA)
They either create an agency to enforce the law, or they direct an existing state agency to enforce that law. We'll say they created the Department of Widget Management (DWM). The legislature will then instruct the director of DWM to create rules for how the agency is going to manage widgets in Washington, and the legislature will say how much authority the agency will have. The DWM can't make a rule that goes into the scope of another agency's authority. There is a separate rulemaking process that the agency will follow to create its rules, within the authority granted by the legislature.

Basically, yes, WAC's have the force of law. However, they cannot exceed the authority granted to the agency by the legislature (the RCW's). So a WAC cannot make something illegal that the RCW states is legal, and cannot make something legal that the RCW states is illegal.

In the case of Everett Community college and firearms, the college is granted some authority over Faculty, Staff, and Students. It is under this authority that they prohibit firearms, and even then they can only discipline (fire or expel) the person, not charge them criminally, and they have no authority over anyone else. It is even questionable if they can actually ask non-faculty, non-staff or non-students to leave or trespass them - no case law in Washington that I am aware of has challenged this.

I suppose in that regard it is like the employers around here who won't let folks carry. They can't arrest them, just fire them for doing things against the company policy.

thanks for all the responses, I did not mean to start a lengthy discussion. For what it is worth, I did not see any signs, because it was an action, I was carrying cash, so I wanted to have some protection, and I did have mine at all times without issue. There were also a few officers of the law there as well, so they also knew it was a potential for a crime.

So to summarize, I saw no indication that I needed to disarm, so I did not.

cheers!

Here's how it goes.....
Question about gun laws/misinformation/ Nwcid in the house/ lengthy ,CORRECTIVE conversation
If he's not in a fire or under water,he'll have your answer

To the guy that quoted the legal heat? thing? Bookmark the link Nwcid put up and read it regularly. Then print it out,(keep forgeting to do this at my friends) so you can entertain yourself with the actual laws and correct friends and family members

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top