JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First set me set this up properly. I am right handed and have always carried my wallet in my right rear pocket and my gun on the right side. Starting today I am switching my wallet to my left pocket. I'm thinking if I have to reach to give a mugger my wallet I want to reach for my wallet with my left hand so my right hand is free to reach for my gun if possible.

Thoughts?

I am one of those weird people that is a bit ambi. What pocket my wallet ends up in depends on what hand I last had it in. You plan makes sense to me.

PS: Did you find that Sig holster? If not, before you buy it off line feel free to borrow mine to try it out. :)

i'm a lefty with the wallet in the left rear, but I carry at 7:00 o'clock, so when I'm reaching for my wallet i'll show him my gun instead. thats just my way of thinkin about it though. unless the BG has a weapon in his hand i feel that giving him the wallet could hurt your case if you did pull your weapon on him after the fact, giving him the wallet could potentially defuse the situation so any further action after that could lead to an unjustified shooting, unless of course the BG decides to stick around. If I had the choice I would rather cancel my debit/credit card than another persons life.
just my two cents...

Last Edited:
I am one of those weird people that is a bit ambi. What pocket my wallet ends up in depends on what hand I last had it in. You plan makes sense to me.

PS: Did you find that Sig holster? If not, before you buy it off line feel free to borrow mine to try it out. :)

Thanks I will take you up on that. Sounds like a good excuse to call for a Thursday members lunch at Mother Maybel's if you want to come in early?

First set me set this up properly. I am right handed and have always carried my wallet in my right rear pocket and my gun on the right side. Starting today I am switching my wallet to my left pocket. I'm thinking if I have to reach to give a mugger my wallet I want to reach for my wallet with my left hand so my right hand is free to reach for my gun if possible.

Thoughts?

I carry with ITP/SOB holsters, and am right handed and carry my wallet on the right side, so if I reach for my wallet he gets a surprise instead...

Since I've started carrying my wallets position is less dictated by a potential mugger and more by a law enforcement encounter, I used to carry it in the right back pocket but now that my pistol is rather close I keep it in my breast or inside jacket pocket instead, don't want to get my intentions taken wrong during a traffic/whatever stop, or risk exposure while out buying things at the store. *shrug*

If I was going to grab my firearm instead of a wallet during a mugging it wouldn't actually have to be there anyways since I'd be producing something I had a little more than $20 in

I carry with ITP/SOB holsters, and am right handed and carry my wallet on the right side, so if I reach for my wallet he gets a surprise instead...
\

That is what I always though of too but I was considering how street magicians use slight of hand and diversion to carry out there magic. If you are handing off your wallet that is a distraction as their eyes are following your wallet hand.

\

That is what I always though of too but I was considering how street magicians use slight of hand and diversion to carry out there magic. If you are handing off your wallet that is a distraction as their eyes are following your wallet hand.

Ya, But if he says "hands up" you're screwed ...........:D

I think it would be better to use the hand you are not reaching for your wallet with to get your gun. If someone is pointing a gun at me at close range I am not going for mine...period. I also do not want them seeing I have one when I reach for my wallet and deciding to shoot me because of it. I would rather hope they lowered their weapon once the were being handed the wallet by my weak hand.

I was taught when I was young that a wallet goes into the left pocket. Have you noticed that dress pants sometimes have only one back pocket or have a button on only the left side? I was told that it came from not wanting to look like you are going for your gun when getting your wallet. Who knows. Also to consider is where you keep your CHL in your wallet, if it is behind your drivers license, it will show when you pull out your DL to show ID.

Trlsmn,

I like your logic on a couple levels. Yeah the BG will be looking at the hand you first move to the back. If you come back with a gun, things could get unneccesarily ugly. Give up the wallet to avoid a gunfight? Heck yes.

One thing though: Am I the only one who doesn't carry his wallet in the back? I have personal rules for what I carry and where.

- My back pockets are empty.
- My front left pocket is reserved for my wallet and keys. If I wear a jacket, the keys and wallet go in the front left pocket.
- My front right pocket is reserved for my pocket holster.
- My strong side is reserved for my CCW pistol.
- Cell phone goes on the left side belt.

I carry using a couple different methods including strongside IWB and pocket carry. I do not want to mistake a cellphone on my strongside hip as a gun while I am pocket carrying. (I was on a jobsite once wearing technical equipment on my strongside belt once and forgot it was there. I almost paniced when my arm brushed against it and thought that I was OC!)

When you pull out your wallet, drop it on the ground or toss it away from you, that will be your moment to think about drawing your gun or running. They will follow the wallet. Well, that's my plan anyway.

wallet in the left rear gun on the right.
i would hope to reach and present wallet with the left to distract
while drawing with the right. if it was possible

Most chiropractors will say you should use a front pocket wallet. I sit most of the day for a living, so I moved to one a long time ago to avoid back issues.

I don't keep anything in my back pockets for a few reasons, another being it can't be stolen in a crowd as easy from my front pocket.

Most chiropractors will say you should use a front pocket wallet. I sit most of the day for a living, so I moved to one a long time ago to avoid back issues.

I don't keep anything in my back pockets for a few reasons, another being it can't be stolen in a crowd as easy from my front pocket.

I am right handed. I started carrying my wallet in my front left pocket years ago for the reasons above. Works perfectly for me.

I have heard it is a good idea to carry a bunch of $1 dollar bills in a money clip to toss in a mugging. I don't want to give up my wallet containing all my cards, license, etc. Toss the big wad of cash, run away or take my chances in a firefight. YMMV.

If (rather when) I concealed carry.. I'd do the same. I usually keep my wallet on my left, but if I wanted to draw.. I'd use my right hand. Much quicker, and my dominant side when it comes to primairly physical activities.

If only I could do the bullet curve from Wanted. Then it would be way more awesome.

Should also note that it's pointless either way. It seems most criminals work in pairs. One points a gun at you, while the other lifts your wallet, cell phone, keys, ect. Then they run with your stuff.

so many variables.... no matter WHAT I decide to do, some BG may well come along with a MO that blows it all out of the water.

I do like the plan of hurling a wad of dollar bills for him to catch.

I use a checkbook as a waller... the free plastic things the bank gives us. Since I've a business account, I've got one with only the checks, register, and perhaps some money in it. The other has all the spending green, ID, credit cards, etc. I keep both in left rear, have since I was a kid. (just felt comfy) I would hope I'd be able to bring out the business checkbook and hand it him with the weak hand..... maybe bring strong hand round to my back to help get access to it..... and, whilst back there messing about, draw the equaliser. Present "wallet" (little value, easily replaced) and, whilst he'd occupied with that, present hardware.

Of course, if there are two, that game is over. Most times. Nearly impossible to predict and outmaneouvre every possibility that might present. BUT-- I do believe having consistency in what is placed where, and having thoughyt things through ahead, will tip the odds in my favour, perhaps only a little.

One more thing.. my driving license is always kept in the stack of credit cards. My CPL is always kept in a different part of the "wallet". Thus, if only asked for the license, that's all they can see and identify. If asked for the CPL (they CAN do that) it is a simple matter of pulling it out of its well-obscured home. I can always play off on the fact that the CPL is quite a bit taller in plan than the license... which is very close to the credit cards in dimensions. Thus, it is logical to keep it in a different place.....

I imagine it being like this: You are all members of the yakuza, and you happen to be visiting the Lackawanna Trolley Museum. And you are attacked by triads. How can you hold them off until your clan arrives?

Robber says give me your wallet, I reach like I'm going for the wallet and (at this point time stops and everything goes into slowmotion, this is when I rely on my muscle memory to kick in) come up with a fist full of 40supers flyin' at 1800fps as I create a gap...

and yes I practise this when I drill.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads