Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CC'ing With a Weapon Light

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by RedneckRampage, Jul 13, 2014.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

Just curious, how many of you concealed carry with a light on your hand gun? If you do, what gun/light/holster combo?

I carry my Gen3 Glock 23, with a Surefire X300 Ultra, daily, in a RKBA hybrid IWB holster. I love it! When in a bad place a night, it adds a little extra good feeling knowing you'll be able to see what you're aiming at.

Here are a couple pictures -
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

2. ocarolan

ocarolan Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

I have tried a similar setup using an RCS Phantom holster, G23 and Streamlight TLR... Honestly for me the light makes it too bulky. As someone wrote online, it feels like a "cafeteria tray crammed down your pants".

So I prefer keeping the flashlight separate and having more room to move. I do wear it OWB sometimes though. Maybe in 5-10 years when the lights are smaller I will try it again.

3. AS556

AS556 Eugene Member

I carry with a light sometimes, I don't find it unbearable. I use an Armordillo Concealment X-fer kydex IWB holster with my 229 (in my photo) and in the past with a Gen4 23. Basically the holster retains the weapon light, not the firearm. What this means is that you can use the exact same holster for 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, whatever, provided they have the light the holster is designed to accept on the gun. In my case thats a 630 lumen TLR1-HL. Pretty radical concept, but works like charm.

4. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have a Viridian C5L on my primary carry gun. It's not as much light as some but the strobe/laser combo is pretty disorienting on the bad side of it.

5. Nesser VanNessers

Nesser VanNessers Vancouver, WA Member

Pardon my ignorance, but the Terminology section isn't up and running yet, " I do wear it OWB sometimes though."
    What does this mean?

6. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

OWB refers to a holster worn Outside the WaistBand.

IWB is Inside the WasitBand.

7. Nesser VanNessers

Nesser VanNessers Vancouver, WA Member

Makes sense! Thanks!

8. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I carry a G34 or a G35 OWB in an RKBA holster.

97839690-8336-4BE9-934F-B975D5D7C140-462-00000052455A7AEE.jpg
    8FAE9FC2-52C7-4746-9BFF-25A5AC147D94-462-000000524143F952.jpg

9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nope, I carry lazer equipped pistols. A pretty useful (bright) keychain light on a belt clip. That flash on the pistols looks pretty bulky!

PS: That keychain light is an LED lenser brand sold at Leatherman stores.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    40calruler likes this.
  10. Oklahomie

Oklahomie Marysville Active Member

If I where to carry a WML I think the poly tlr3 would be a good choice, though it looks funny on glocks.

11. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

I carry my M&p 40 with a Surefire x300 ultra in a personal security holster (persec). I only wear in colder weather with a sweatshirt on. Otherwise it prints and shows terribly. It's comfortable though.

12. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

13. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

I agree. I do not have a laser on my daily carry but good bright night sights. I do not find myself often without a maglight on my belt for work or at least my key chain light which was given to me by a family member that works for a place that makes them for the military and it is as bright as most gun tac lights.

Although it is bulky I do use a laser/light combo when camping on my M&P 40 since I can carry it OWB and not have to have it dig in like IWB carry.

For edc I prefer my gun to be able to fit snug IWB or in my pocket if I choose. A big light makes that tough.

Sgt Nambu and WilliamIV like this.
  14. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

Oh and the combo laser/light I cannot even remember the brand as I got it for 40 dollars or so off Amazon. To my surprise it has been solid for 2 years since I got it needing only a new battery for the flashlight a few months back.
    I know you usually get what you pay for but the thing separates with one click to take off the light and just leave the laser and also snaps on the gun in a heartbeat if I just want the light on there...nothing to tighten or anything other than the initial laser sight in. Good quality for cheap. I will post a pic but the brand name is not even on it.

15. Creep

Creep Portland Member

I carry a full sized 1911, IWB it's no more difficult (in my opinion) to carry than without the light. Doubles as my nightstand piece. Not my picture, but the same model/light.

Operator_zps0e4b8f3e.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Sgt Nambu and pdempsey1097 like this.
  16. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

CT grips on the S&W 638. If I'm working a detail at night I'll carry the light unit in a pocket and put it on if the need arises, which is very rare in my job, maybe once or twice has it come up.

The Sig light/laser rides on the nightstand Glock all the time though.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  17. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

18. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

http://rkbaholsters.com/index.html
    Here Right to Keep and Bear Arms Holsters or RKBA as Coctailer referee to them.

19. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

thanks sir

20. AS556

AS556 Eugene Member