JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently picked up a couple boxes of this for my old High Standard, since the listed velocity is nearly the same as the CCI Standard Velocity (1050 vs. 1070) I usually shoot in it. So can someone explain why this won't fully cycle my HS? It cycles enough to extract the empty, but not far enough to pick up the next round. I've shot stuff that's slower than the Subsonic with no issues, why isn't this working? Not that big a deal, I can use it up in my single shot .22 rifle, that'll eat anything :D, mostly just curious. BTW, I don't shoot suppressed, don't own one, not willing to go through the hoops necessary. Thanks.

Dave

Didn't realise that CCI made subsonic at 1050 FPS. I do know that they offer CCI Suppressor with the 45 grain bullet at 970 FPS, and then the 45 grain at 835 FPS. They also offer 735 and 710 FPS with the 40 grain bullets. The last two offerings will not cycle any of my Ruger Mark pistols and "stove-pipe" cases are a regular event.
Here's my Browning Buckmark after shooting one of the CCI 735 FPS 40 grain rounds:

8jVtSFjl.jpg

Didn't realise that CCI made subsonic at 1050 FPS. I do know that they offer CCI Suppressor with the 45 grain bullet at 970 FPS, and then the 45 grain at 835 FPS. They also offer 735 and 710 FPS with the 40 grain bullets. The last two offerings will not cycle any of my Ruger Mark pistols and "stove-pipe" cases are a regular event.

"The speed of sound, known as Mach 1, varies depending on the medium through which a sound wave propagates. In dry, sea level air that is around 25 degrees Celsius, Mach 1 is equal to 340.29 meters per second, or 1,122.96 feet per second.

This: CCI Ammo 22 Long Rifle Subsonic 40 Grain Lead Hollow Point Case of. It's a 40 gr. HP, the Standard Velocity is also a 40 gr. bullet, although a solid. I just went and looked at my stash, I have quite a variety of standard velocity target .22 LR, most are in the 1070-1100 FPS range, but a couple are down around the 1000 FPS mark, and all function fine in this pistol. Only thing I can come up with is that CCI is using a low pressure powder in this particular cartridge, and relying on the extra back pressure supplied by a can to make it function. No can, no function I guess. Or only partial function. My shooting partner has a Browning Buckmark, I'll get him to try some on our next range trip, see if it works in his gun. Later, and thanks for the input.

Dave

Dang, looks like a good option I'll have to check out.

I've never had the opportunity to buy some of that ammo. I'm curious if it expands at all? Be a good zombie load.

I'll be curious to see if it functions in your friends gun.

Don't remember for sure where I got them, but it was either Sportman's Warehouse in Wenatchee, or North 40 in Omak. IIRC, price was on par with Mini Mags, so about $9 a box of 100. I really wasn't thinking, I don't need HP's in the HS, and I don't need lower velocity ammo for my marmot whacking .22 rifle. I will have to try them in the rifle though, the Mini Mags are plenty accurate, but if these are a little better, and a little quieter, it's all good. Later.

Dave

For back yard quite killing I have been using Winchester 42 gr power point subsonic, my ruger american shoots them in to one hole at 25 yrds and they hit harder then any other sub that I have used, they expand good even on small game and will drop a racoon as long as you don't hit them between the eyes soft hollow point just bounces off. I use a suppressor and they are very quite.

Recently picked up a couple boxes of this for my old High Standard, since the listed velocity is nearly the same as the CCI Standard Velocity (1050 vs. 1070) I usually shoot in it. So can someone explain why this won't fully cycle my HS? It cycles enough to extract the empty, but not far enough to pick up the next round. I've shot stuff that's slower than the Subsonic with no issues, why isn't this working? Not that big a deal, I can use it up in my single shot .22 rifle, that'll eat anything :D, mostly just curious. BTW, I don't shoot suppressed, don't own one, not willing to go through the hoops necessary. Thanks.

Dave
Only a guess. I bet it would work fine in a suppressed pistol. If it does, it has been tailored for a suppressor, which may increase pressures and be adequate to cycle the pistol. We might be talking pressure curve here, as well as time, and at this point I'm in over my head.

Put another way, that ammo might provide "just enough" to work a suppressed pistol, whereas regular ammo provides too much.

There is a difference between CCI subsonic and CCI quiet loads, neither of which cycle 100% in any semiauto I have used.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top