JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought a couple boxes of 44Mag shotshells for snake control on my property. When I shot one out of my Charter Arms Bulldog, 2 out of the 4 left in the cylinder had the shot cups come loose and jam the gun so the cylinder would not turn. Anyone have this happen to them. Thinking about rubber cementing them in but would like to hear from others. Don't know if cementing them in place is the best thing to do but I don't see any other way. :confused:

I would be hesitant to glue the shot caps to the casing for a couple of reasons...not to mention a hesitancy to give potentially dangerous advice to someone on a public forum. I am not an expert and should not be relied upon as such.

1. You could potentially create an overpressure situation that could damage you or your revolver. Common sense and 40+ years of handloading experience tells me that is not likely, but a lot of pressure is generated in a short period of time when you ignite a round. The shot caps are pretty flimsy and should break up but they are filled with lead shot that could cause a momentary pressure spike problem...and that might be all the bad you need to ruin your day.
2. If the rubber cement, or any other sealant you choose, is stronger than the plastic shot cap material, you could cause the shot cap to rupture while still in the cylinder thus sending a debris field of plastic and shot down the barrel. Who knows what kind of shot pattern you might end up with in that case. I have handloaded and fired hundreds of CCI shot capsules but have not ever had any come loose and freeze up the cylinder. It did take me a while to work up loads that shot good patterns.. ie no donut holes. I have successfully used them on a few birds and some Texas rattlesnakes. However, after a few rattlesnake encounters I decided the shot caps were not the best medicine, even in 44 mag. I began keeping a pump 12 gauge in the vehicle for use when approaching gates at night, etc. where snakes seemed to accumulate. I also had better luck with a .22 autoloading pistol and a 10 round magazine or two during the daylight.

If you elect to use a sealant of any kind on your shot cap ammo, I would suggest something that you KNOW will come loose before the plastic shot cap material shatters. I am not sure what that might be, but I know it doesn't take much to keep the plastic in place. If you are successful in securing the capsules, I would then carefully pattern them and make sure they still do what you want them to do before dealing with any critters that bite back.

I would also be very interested in what you decide to do, and what you experience in the process if you try to secure the caps in place. Be careful!!

That was my worry too, pressure spike or blowing through the plactic shot cup. I also carry a shotgun when i am trying to clear them out but thought it would be nice to have my sidearm ready when doing chores. Have a great neice and nephew and want to get rid of some of the rattlers before they visit again. My ground east of the Cascades is full of rocks and wouldn't want to hit a rock with a .40 S&W JHP. Makes me mad as these are brand new factory loads. Will ponder on this some more before doing anything. Thanks for your input.

Well, i put 2 dabs of rubber cement inside the case mouth 180 deg. apart as you suggested and they fired just fine. Killed a 4' rattler today when i turned over a sheet of plywood that i had left on the ground. One shot did the trick. Hope to get them thinned out some before the great nieces and nephews come to visit. Had one more shot cup come loose this time but marked it and will glue it up before using it. Thanks for your input.

Glad to hear they worked out, Ironhead. Did they seem to pattern properly? Sounds like they did, at least at close range, so you must not have ruptured the plastic (or generated a pressure spike). If one more came loose, the cement must not be holding it too tight. As you can see, it doesn't take much pressure to hold the caps in place. Good hunting! I really dislike rattlesnakes and am glad we don't have them over here on the wet side :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top