JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plastics are less harmful than lead, but plastics do harm the environment, so I would like to see the ammo manufacturers start exploring other alternatives. You just know that sooner or later plastics in ammo will be regulated. For one thing it isn't reusable; you can't reload a plastic case (AFAIK) and the projectile is discarded when shot. It isn't like a plastic bottle or bag - it can't be reused.

"Clean".....like in...…

Does it lead the bore?

Or

Are there residual unburnt power flakes?

Anyway....I figure, it would depend on your particular firearm (thinking: condition of the barrel, length of barrel, action type, etc...).

Aloha, Mark

After how long that last "shortage" went on I do not let my supply drop bellow 20K now. All during that panic I was buying Fed Auto Match, Rem Golden in the 100 packs and some of the Win stuff with the black coating. Took a while to burn it all up after the ammo came back and it all did pretty good. Still have 5 or 6 K of that Federal bulk "Value Pack" crap. Years into the shortage Wife suddenly "learned of it". When she told me I said I have ammo coming weekly, you can still shoot all you want. Well she tried to help. Cabellas had this on with no limit and without telling me she ordered like 8 K of the damn stuff. It works in nothing I own and even at the 50ft range I can see enough difference in accuracy that I gave up on it. Sitting in the back of a closet now. Don't know what the hell I will ever do with it :mad: Wonder if Value Village would take a donation of ammo :s0140:
If it looks like this box I'd gladly take it off your hands. I can trade you gun stuff or cigars for it.
7b0bf08d386bd96d4f0733daea8731b7_6.jpg

I want to say most polymer coated bullets are marketed as less dirty in terms of no copper fowling. No 22 propellant is going to get you clean shooting, some of the stuff labeled "suppressor" does a bit better job at this than the others.

I shoot a lot of 22. It's my go to. This plastic stuff, like the BlueBullets I use for my hand loaded 9mm and 38/357 keeps my bore cleaner than other ammo. If that is your goal, shoot it. Unfortunately after a few hundred my gun, still looks like I shot a few hundred 22lr.

I want to say most polymer coated bullets are marketed as less dirty in terms of no copper fowling. No 22 propellant is going to get you clean shooting, some of the stuff labeled "suppressor" does a bit better job at this than the others.

I shoot a lot of 22. It's my go to. This plastic stuff, like the BlueBullets I use for my hand loaded 9mm and 38/357 keeps my bore cleaner than other ammo. If that is your goal, shoot it. Unfortunately after a few hundred my gun, still looks like I shot a few hundred 22lr.
A couple places make some pretty grand claims that this stuff is better in a suppressor. Looks like they are taking that info strait from CCI. Claiming 60-80% cleaner in them. Now of course is it? Don't currently have a can for anything so don't really care about that. As long as it goes off and feeds I will be fine with it since it was the same price as the copper solids they sell. When you use this stuff in your cans can you see a noticeable difference in the can from it? Would seem if their claim is even close it would be nice for that. I am of course always skeptical when something makes claims like this until I hear from users that it really is that much better.

Wow thx a lot for posting. I learned something today. From the box pic it looks like a different coating than the 525 champion value pack stuff. Also it doesn't say champion on the box. On the 525 "champion" pack the bullet coating is really thin and a lot of grey shows through. The champion 525 value pack I rarely ever have a dud and accuracy (consistency) has been top notch for regular non-match ammo. Clean burning also. The 22 plinkster recommendation is what turned me on to the champion value pack so I'll be sure to not stray from that for this ammo line.

It's hard to tell what ur getting with this stuff cuz the following are all pretty much the same weights and velocities: game shock champion 40gr, champion value pack, the value pack u showed, field pack, match pack, black pack. I'm sure I'm missing some in that list. And that's not counting any cci or American eagle stuff which is also owned by federal.
17706F01-99CB-46B5-AF3D-67884309DB03.jpeg
2096BE07-63B0-43D8-A585-5726A55DA878.jpeg
A8AF3249-A3E6-4C35-A375-0BBCBDBB8ED6.jpeg
3C7504A9-7904-4490-B25E-F5B3D19A4634.jpeg
F38DBC13-F19B-4A5B-AA97-4E2C92F61D0F.jpeg

Ahhh, yes. Didn't cross my mind at 1 in the mornin o_O My mind went to moly coated bullets andthe nightmare that stuff is to get out (I hear...never used them myself)

Should have known. I have had Lead Safe and HazMat training over the years. It is truly amazing how contaminants can travel. Maybe we should encapsulate that bubblegume that comes from China in polymer.

I remember the moly coating craze some years back. I never tried it either, but I remember hearing stories about moly-fouled bores.

Poly coated and powder coated bullets are different. I was reluctant to start powder-coating my cast bullets at first, but gave it a shot several years ago. Now you couldn't pay me to go back to lube-sizing them. It really is that much better, in my opinion. Bores are shiny and clean, after hundreds of rounds.

Does anyone know if the "clean" ammo also has lead-free primers? That's another potential source of exposure, as standard primers contain some lead, and the residue can be inhaled while shooting. I'm glad I don't have to shoot in an indoor range at all.

As a caster who has young children, I've studied up on lead poisoning and routes of exposure. I've become more aware, and much more careful with my casting and loading and how I handle lead. One of my kids had a blood test for an unrelated reason, so I asked them to include a lead level test, out of curiosity. It came back clean, negligible. While it's not the uber-toxic bogeyman that some would have you believe, it is a real concern, especially for kids. If I wasn't confident that I can keep my kids safe from it, I wouldn't have it in my house at all.

Wow thx a lot for posting. I learned something today. From the box pic it looks like a different coating than the 525 champion value pack stuff. Also it doesn't say champion on the box. On the 525 "champion" pack the bullet coating is really thin and a lot of grey shows through. The champion 525 value pack I rarely ever have a dud and accuracy (consistency) has been top notch for regular non-match ammo. Clean burning also. The 22 plinkster recommendation is what turned me on to the champion value pack so I'll be sure to not stray from that for this ammo line.

It's hard to tell what ur getting with this stuff cuz the following are all pretty much the same weights and velocities: game shock champion 40gr, champion value pack, the value pack u showed, field pack, match pack, black pack. I'm sure I'm missing some in that list. And that's not counting any cci or American eagle stuff which is also owned by federal.

Who knows. She bought this stuff towards the end of the great shortage, which was why they let her buy so damn much in one purchase. The manufacturers were running 24/7 trying to catch up. So who knows if this was the result of poor/ hasty QC, or if the stuff is all like this. I know I tried to burn some up in 5 different .22's of ours and none of them liked the stuff at all. To the point I finally gave up on it. It was just making me mad when I tried to use it. :(
She also came home with a bunch of the CCI standard velocity stuff one day that she of course paid premium for. When I showed her why she got frustrated. I showed her again we had a huge stash of .22 ammo, assured her I had more coming weekly, she could shoot all she wanted. It was just that once someone told her there was no .22 ammo to be had she felt she had to try to "help" :confused::confused:

Alexx1401,

There's an old story that goes:

First time I took my wife fishing, when we stopped at the bait shop, she saw a sign that said, "All of the bait you want for $2.00." She thought that was such a good deal that she bought $5.00 worth.

Everytime I mention going hunting, my wife sends a $100.00 order off to Omaha Steaks. Face bigsmyl.gif

A couple places make some pretty grand claims that this stuff is better in a suppressor. Looks like they are taking that info strait from CCI. Claiming 60-80% cleaner in them. Now of course is it? Don't currently have a can for anything so don't really care about that. As long as it goes off and feeds I will be fine with it since it was the same price as the copper solids they sell. When you use this stuff in your cans can you see a noticeable difference in the can from it? Would seem if their claim is even close it would be nice for that. I am of course always skeptical when something makes claims like this until I hear from users that it really is that much better.
CCI making claims? Or stores selling the stuff?

From CCIs website.

The future of rimfire is here. CCI Clean-22™ uses an exclusive polymer bullet coating to greatly reduce copper and lead fouling in the barrel—without leaving a residue. It also cuts lead buildup in suppressors 60 to 80 percent.

Mostly talking about bore fouling and that said fouling adding to suppressor gunk.

Nothing really said about the other culprit of 22. Carbon buildup from propellants.

CCI making claims? Or stores selling the stuff?
The first place I read making the claims about how clean it was in a suppressor was a site touting it but not selling it. Then I looked at CCI's own site and they were making the exact same claim. Looked like the first site I looked at just took it word for word from CCI. Have not read anything from anyone trying to sell the stuff yet. As I mentioned will not matter to me as I have no can now anyway. The claims CCI is making do sound great if it's not just hype.

As a followup I got to the range today with a few hundred of these. Took 3 of my .22 pistols and ran 1 sleeve through each. The pistols all worked just the same as with the other CCI stuff, no problems. Don't have a Can these days so can't say anything yea or nay as to the grand claims CCI makes for these. All I cared about is did not want to order a case of it when SG was out of the regular until I tried. So next time I go to order a case if they have this at the same price I know I can feel fine buying it. :)

Nice and thx for the report! Imo it's hard to tell whether a clean ammo is better than a really good normal ammo as far as cleanliness but boy I sure notice it when I get a dirty ammo. Lots of residue/unburnt powder etc everywhere. But that stuff is not necessarIly from the lead but more from the propellant I'm guessing.

Fwiw I will say that both the cci suppressor 22lr and american eagle suppressor 22lr have been very clean burning for me. American eagle is much cheaper though and imo every bit as good as the cci suppressor. Now whether those 2 are cleaner than regular cci mini mag, that's hard to say without some sort of testing which I have zero interest in doing.

I kinda think about cleanliness and reliability both in "tiers" kinda like gasoline (at least has from 20. years ago let's say where there was probably more variability in quality). U have the cheapest Chinese once filtered stuff on one end and 5 times filtered plus additives for the top tier stuff (don't know if it's still like that or not).

some related 22 plinkster videos fwiw/FYI: