JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Wal-Mart today and bought up 500 cb 22..I have a dozen old Remington single shot bolt 22s.has anybody back yard target practiced with these shells? I figure if nothing else they should put a hole in a pop can.

20200918_131407.jpg

I've used these for many years. The current CCI's are a bit pricey but you pay what they ask when you need them.

They will kill raccoons with a head shot or a well-placed shot heart shot. I had one rear up on his hind legs and try to defy me. That was the last thing he every did, exposing his underside like that.

These are pretty quiet in a rifle length barrel. But when shot in a pistol barrel, they give off a loud crack. So if it's stealth you want, don't use these in handguns.

Before Americans cared much for quiet ammo, BB and CB caps came from Europe. Made by companies like Dynamit Nobel. They were typically packed in little round tins. They were much shorter than the CCI product mentioned above. The BB cap was round ball, the CB cap had a conical projectile. The current CCI so-called CB cap is shaped more like a .22 Short. CB actually stands for, "Conical Breech." The longer case of the CCI CB caps is easier to handle and allows itself to be loaded multiply in rifle magazines. I also got some made in Mexico by Aguiila which also have the longer case. Seems like I remember Remington made some of the long ones at one time but I haven't checked lately. Anything Remington gets iffy down through the past 10 years or better.

I have a few older guns that cycle well.
Only drawback is that the chamber gets dirty, and before going back to lr a guy needs to clean up the chamber.
Very quiet, and only thing better is cb long.
I have not been able to find any lately.

Love 'em (the LR version) and have been using them for decades. My favorite round for teaching people, especially kids, how to shoot due to the low noise and almost non existant recoil. Keeps them focused more on what they are doing when they pull the trigger. Performance wise seem to be about equal to a high powered air gun. Excellent for suburban pest control as well.

As far as shooting Shorts in a LR chamber, THAT will depend on the type of action and bolt face! A claw type extractor with a rebated/rimmed bolt head should feed with out issue, where you run into problems is with the typical flat bolt faces many .22's have! As stated, guns designed for shorts, longs and Long Rifle should feed and fire shorts just fine!

As far as shooting Shorts in a LR chamber, THAT will depend on the type of action and bolt face! A claw type extractor with a rebated/rimmed bolt head should feed with out issue, where you run into problems is with the typical flat bolt faces many .22's have! As stated, guns designed for shorts, longs and Long Rifle should feed and fire shorts just fine!
So does the bolt you describe hold the cartridge by the rim while the firing pin is deployed or??

I was at Wal-Mart today and bought up 500 cb 22..I have a dozen old Remington single shot bolt 22s.has anybody back yard target practiced with these shells? I figure if nothing else they should put a hole in a pop can.

View attachment 751423
I have used them to exterminate some rodents and they worked great. They aren't near as quiet as CCI quiet ammo, I would still have my ears on when shooting them.

BTW, I shot them out of a Henry lever action.

Last Edited:
Many years ago a friend of mines job duties at the Seattle zoo included rodent and pest control. He was that guy dressed in safari gear carrying a Ruger 77/22 loaded with CCI CB longs, that no one ever noticed going about his daily tasks. The Ruger wasn't the only rifle on site, happy it was the only on he ever needed to use, never needed the big ones. :cool: Lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

OK! Now I'm going to dig around in my safes, 'cause I know that I have a bolt action, magazine fed .22 that is marked for LR. I will try a gallery short in it to see if your hypothesis is correct.
My old Mossberg .22 mag fed bolt gun won't feed the shorts using the mags now. The mags used to have a clip that slid into the mag to act as a spacer, but I've had that gun since I was 8yrs and lost those clips somewhere along the way.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top