JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have in-laws in Oregon and I frequently cross state lines from WA to OR to visit, which is what I'm doing this week. There is no reciprocity between the two states. A WA CPL is damn near worthless. Look at the states that have reciprocity with WA and they aren't exactly on the way to anywhere. Idaho is the only one I ever travel to.

Idaho
North Kadota
Kansas

Ohio
Louisiana

Oklahoma
Michigan

Tennessee
North Carolina

Utah

I do have an LE carry license that is good in all 50 states, but most people don't and I think its crazy that crossing a state line puts you in legal jeopardy. The LE CCW license is based on the LEOSA. My question is, why isn't the safey of all citizens not a compelling reason to afford legal carry natiin wide? I keep thinking about how much it would suck to not have a weapon as any number of shady customers walks by as I'm driving around in PDX.

There is a little known fact that some states require the weapon to be on your person in a vehicle if its loaded. Ever try to draw with a seatbelt on in a car? Not easy. I made a little rig that attaches to my transmission well next to my right leg, but it could technically be unlawful since its not technically on my person. So, without constitutional carry, I would have to unloaf and store my weapon. Makes it pretty hard to bear it. Is that not a 2A infringement?

These are all stupid technicalities and its really irritating to think about how we are being bled dry of our rights. Rant over.

:s0137:

In WA, technically, you do.
thats good to know too.

I think Wa. laws are slightly more restricting than Oregons.... frustrating when traveling.

agree ccw laws are stupid... dont get pulled over in a school zone when traveling out of state....

Yep. My Brother-in-law is visiting from Utah. He can't get an Oregon out of state CHL because Utah is not an adjacent state. With my Utah out of state CHL I can carry in his state and 30+ others, now including Nevada.

I also believe that Wa. law requires the pistol be on your person while in the car. I just put the gun on my lap. Not a problem. I can't sit in the car with the pistol in a IWB holster anyway. Uncomfortable. In winter I put the pistol in a pocket inside my jacket.

Yeah, CC laws imply that one needs permission from a bureaucrat to defend his life and his family. Utter and complete BS, which is why "constitutional carry" is on a roll - people are figuring this stuff out.

I should say it only looks bad compared to constitutional carry. It's a heck of a lot better than what we had previously - no carry at all.

But with such a law, it is always a choice to comply. "Concealed carry means concealed," as some like to say. Hard for dark brown people who are always being rousted by cops, but lots of folks can just weigh the probabilities (getting caught by a cop, vs. getting attacked by a thug) and some might end up just ignoring these idiotic laws (I don't recall ever getting a pat-down outside of an airport). Almost all significant advances in liberty come from ignoring the law.

I'm not sure about this, but it's my guess that some cops in some locations, like eastern Oregon and Washington, would just let you slide even if they did catch you carrying, as long as you are not otherwise occupied in questionable activities. So the risk might even be lower.

One other thing occurs to me along these lines. Even if Oregon does not officially have reciprocity with Washington, I bet having a Washington CC license would go a long way toward convincing an Oregon cop to let you slide.

Does anyone know how many are charged with this "crime"? Just curious...

Last Edited:
I thought there was a push for nationwide carry with out permits and 100% compliance state to state! Why hasnt that been pushed through? All these combo permits, with all these State rules that differ, and restrictions that make no sense, It's frustrating to say the least, I have OryGun, Arizonia, and Utah permits, and yet I can not travel out side of the permitted states, WTF

That's good to know. In WA, technically, you do. I don't know how anyone can keep up with this stuff.

I realize you are LE and I also realize this was 30 years ago but unless something has changed or the AG has issued a new opinion on the matter, this is not necessarily true.

wqvtyu.jpg

I realize you are LE and I also realize this was 30 years ago but unless something has changed or the AG has issued a new opinion on the matter, this is not necessarily true.

The RCW reads similarly to the letter but the key would be the interpretation of "and" and how the individial subsections should be apolied. The description at the bottom of the letter is absent in the RCW and how we have interpreted the RCW is different. That is a pretty big deal. We recently talked about it as a preventative measure to avoid constructive possession. I'm going to follow up with this

Newbie here...

Good to know about "on your person carry" while driving in WA.

I've been thinking on placing a strong box / mini safe in my trucks armrest console. I'll have to look into if storing in it (loaded) while driving is legal or not.

Thanks, appreciate the heads up!

--Also I'm having a similar difficult time wrapping my head around which states I can & can't carry. I have my OR plus Utah CHL pending.

My folks live in South Carolina & I visit quite a lot. The only way I'll be able to carry in SC as an out of state resident is if I'm a "real property owner" or LEO/retired LEO. None of which apply.

The RCW reads similarly to the letter but the key would be the interpretation of "and" and how the individial subsections should be apolied. The description at the bottom of the letter is absent in the RCW and how we have interpreted the RCW is different. That is a pretty big deal. We recently talked about it as a preventative measure to avoid constructive possession. I'm going to follow up with this

Please let us know what you find out, but to my layman interpretation, which is the same as the AG way back when, it seems pretty clear that to carry loaded in a vehicle in WA, you have to have a CPL and satisfy one of the three listed requirements as it is impossible to satisfy all three.

You can either have it loaded in a vehicle with a CPL either on your person, OR you can have it elsewhere as long as you are in the vehicle, OR its locked in the vehicle and concealed from view.

Please let us know what you find out, but to my layman interpretation, which is the same as the AG way back when, it seems pretty clear that to carry loaded in a vehicle in WA, you have to have a CPL and satisfy one of the three listed requirements as it is impossible to satisfy all three.

You can either have it loaded in a vehicle with a CPL either on your person, OR you can have it elsewhere as long as you are in the vehicle, OR its locked in the vehicle and concealed from view.

I'll definitely bring this up. To tell you the truth, it was something we talked about at work and we all rolled our eyes. The only way we could see it ever being brought up was if there was a convicted felon in the car and the weapon was in their zone of control. Such as, gun in passenger door and driver claims its theirs but passenger is prohibited and was the only one with reasonable access to the gun..

That's good to know. In WA, technically, you do. I don't know how anyone can keep up with this stuff.
Ummmm
No you don't unless they just changed the laws. It can be anywhere in your vehicle and nobody on here has ever show us where it actually says it can't be within reach of a passenger that doesn't hold a permit.
Check again and please sight the law.

Ummmm
No you don't unless they just changed the laws. It can be anywhere in your vehicle and nobody on here has ever show us where it actually says it can't be within reach of a passenger that doesn't hold a permit.
Check again and please sight the law.

We already did all that in the posts above. The biggest issue is who can be considered as having constructive possession of the firearm. If it isnt on your person and is in a common area, depending on who you are conracted by and who else is in your car, the exercise of creative report writing could result in an inconvenience.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads