JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's sad. It's horrible.
After reading this story I have a thought. I think people shouldn't be CC unless they are very dedicated to it. In the way that your all in, or don't do it....
Hope that sounded right.
Kind of like getting your pilots license. That's a hobby/job that takes full concentration.

Not judging this mom. That child deserves a life of perfect peace, luxury, great health, and finally translated to heaven in the end.
And told a great story that supports it as ONLY a accident no matter what.

Last Edited:
Very derogatory report IMHO.

What I should have added was this comment:
"It is not clear what kind of handgun she was packing when the incident occurred."

IDK, maybe it's me being cynical.

What do you expect from AOL and Al Jazera as news sources. Both worse than the MSM.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-shot-killed-walmart-idaho-her-toddler-reports-204113892.html

Interesting: I was just on the site above and tried to vote down an anti NRA post. The site showed that I had voted it down so I couldn't vote again but the counter still stayed on "0"!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

This is tragic scenario. Now the question is what lessons are there in this tragedy and what do we do with them. Some will vilify the gun and look for rules to apply to everyone so it never happens again (naive and fear based thinking). Some will vilify the gun owner calling her irresponsible and foolish and claim this kind of thing only happens to the stupid amoung us (naive and prideful thinking). I think we are better served and the tragedy is given some meaning if we give thought on how we adjust are thoughts on carry methods (admittedly not needed by some) and promote best practices. Having a holster is imperative. A good holster has safety features to it. The holster should be designed for the method of carry being used, making due is a compromise of safety. Know your limitations. Some swear by the need for a chambered round and I think we are familiar with the benefits. However, if you are planning on carrying off your person and others (although no one really should) may have access to your firearm, a pistol with a chambered round is likely not best practice. I always tell hoplophobes there are a series of affirmative steps that must be taken for a firearm to be fired, they don't just go off. Every action you take preparing your concealed carry for use is one of those affirmative steps. We as gun owners set the level of safety. Know your limitations based on training and experience don't just do a thing because you heard it on the internet. "Said a guy on the internet"

It's sad. It's horrible.
After reading this story I have a thought. I think people shouldn't be CC unless they are very dedicated to it. In the way that your all in, or don't do it....
Hope that sounded right.
Kind of like getting your pilots license. That's a hobby/job that takes full concentration.

Not judging this mom. That child deserves a life of perfect peace, luxury, great health, and finally translated to heaven in the end.
And told a great story that supports it as ONLY a accident no matter what.
Oregonhunter5, I kinda get where you are going with this. Somewhat of a valid point, but I have to disagree. It depends on what level of dedication you are talking about. Even some of the most dedicated have shot themselves, or have had ND's. Sometimes bubblegum just happens. This of course is of a different matter. I do agree that we need to be extremely dedicated for our safety, as well as others. But explain to me where do you draw the line on CC dedication?

I read the yahoo version of this story( from the AP), so I really shouldn't be surprised at the last four sentences of the article.

Hayden is a politically conservative town of about 9,000 people just north of Coeur d'Alene, in Idaho's northern panhandle.

Idaho lawmakers passed legislation earlier this year allowing concealed weapons on the state's public college and university campuses.

Despite facing opposition from all eight of the state's university college presidents, lawmakers sided with gun rights advocates who said the law would better uphold the Second Amendment.

Under the law, gun holders are barred from bringing their weapons into dormitories or buildings that hold more than 1,000 people, such as stadiums or concert halls.

What do these statements have to do with this story of a mother CC'ing in a WalMart? Absolutely nothing!!

Ric

Clarification....Idaho allows only those with the new "enhanced" CWP to carry on college campuses.
It requires both classroom and range training by approved instructors and the applicant must be at least 21 years old.
Unlike the basic permit, the enhanced permit is good in Washington plus an additional 37 other states.

Don't know if any amount of class time would help someone that is careless enough to have a gun with a round chambered, loose in a purse, anywhere near a 2 year old though.
Often it's not a matter of education, it's a matter of smarts.

Oregonhunter5, I kinda get where you are going with this. Somewhat of a valid point, but I have to disagree. It depends on what level of dedication you are talking about. Even some of the most dedicated have shot themselves, or have had ND's. Sometimes bubblegum just happens. This of course is of a different matter. I do agree that we need to be extremely dedicated for our safety, as well as others. But explain to me where do you draw the line on CC dedication?
I have thought that the country should free up the ease of letting all 50 states have liberal cc laws, or meaning, 1 type of permit is used for the whole country. Or, no permit at all. A USA CC card. But....there needs to be more in depth training. Like 40 hours of it. Live training with paint loads of something. Real life scenario training.
Cause I know that there's a lot of people that weren't born with a gun in there hands like me and others on this board, and they have a license.
They need the training, and so do I. It will save there own lives.
Just my opinion....

Yup, for the bad guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=h8r6CY5UZyw

Unfortunately, I can't embed the video, but it shows a young lady with no holster experience and 5 minutes of training. Average draw and shoot time is about 1.5 seconds.

I think I would need to see her do it without the shirt so I get a better idea of what is going on :p

Looks like the holster prints a little, too.

upload_2014-12-31_8-41-4.png

UPDATE http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-toddler-shot-his-mom-at-wal-mart/?tid=sm_fb

She had hand gun classes, practiced at shooting ranges, hunted, was licensed to carry and carried every day.

The CC purse was a Christmas present from her husband.

She had her son and three nieces with her at Walmart.

Her son was in the cart while she left the purse unattended for a moment, probably thinking she was still carrying on body.

UPDATE http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-toddler-shot-his-mom-at-wal-mart/?tid=sm_fb

She had hand gun classes, practiced at shooting ranges, hunted, was licensed to carry and carried every day.

The CC purse was a Christmas present from her husband.

She had her son and three nieces with her at Walmart.

Her son was in the cart while she left the purse unattended for a moment, probably thinking she was still carrying on body.

Incredibly sad, and a stroke of horrible 'luck' that this could happen. I've spoken to my wife and 2 female friends about this, as well - all carry in purses.

Veronica typically left her Blackfoot, Idaho, home with her gun nestled at her side. So on Christmas morning last week, her husband gave her a present he hoped would make her life more comfortable: a purse with a special pocket for a concealed weapon.

probably thinking she was still carrying on body.

Huh ??? Then her level of training was not good enough. There maybe some that advocate purse carry or off the body carry, but I question their judgement.

I walk out of my house in a rural area at night to go to my shop or potty the dogs, and if I do not have the gun on, since my routine is to pat the right side of my body as I leave the door, I turn around and go get it, even for a 100 foot walk on my own property.

That is just my conjecture. Most likely she turned to "deal with" her three nieces, and not being used to off body carry, it did not register that her gun was not at her side like it usually is.

Hayden tragedy tests media, brings out the anti-gun extremists

Yesterday's tragic accidental shooting at a Hayden, Idaho Wal-Mart is already proving to be a test of media bias, and is likewise providing a final opportunity in 2014 for gun prohibitionists to push their agenda of social bigotry.

<broken link removed>

Hayden tragedy tests media, brings out the anti-gun extremists

Yesterday's tragic accidental shooting at a Hayden, Idaho Wal-Mart is already proving to be a test of media bias, and is likewise providing a final opportunity in 2014 for gun prohibitionists to push their agenda of social bigotry.

<broken link removed>

It is a very polarizing and emotional topic; the left does a good job of brainwashing the masses, as well. Though, there is more low-hanging fruit to be concerned with [more kids/adults die from prescription drug overdose than car accidents], but you won't see anti-druggers protesting Vicodin prescriptions outside doctors' offices.

From the CDC website:
  • Drug overdose was the leading cause of injury death in 2012. Among people 25 to 64 years old, drug overdose caused more deaths than motor vehicle traffic crashes.1
  • Drug overdose death rates have been rising steadily since 1992 with a 117% increase from 1999 to 2012 alone.1
  • In 2012, 33,175 (79.9%) of the 41,502 drug overdose deaths in the United States were unintentional, 5,465 (13.2%) were of suicidal intent, 80 (0.2%) were homicides, and 2,782 (6.7%) were of undetermined intent.1
  • In 2011, drug misuse and abuse caused about 2.5 million emergency department (ED) visits. Of these, more than 1.4 million ED visits were related to pharmaceuticals.2
  • Between 2004 and 2005, an estimated 71,000 children (18 or younger) were seen in EDs each year because of medication overdose (excluding self-harm, abuse and recreational drug use).4
  • Among children under age 6, pharmaceuticals account for about 40% of all exposures reported to poison centers.5

Last Edited:
Forgive me if it's been mentioned before, but does anyone know the make and model of the gun? I looked pretty hard, I saw Glock mentioned on here, but it wasn't definitive that was in fact the gun in question.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top