Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CC killed by toddler

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rick benjamin, Dec 30, 2014.

1. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Very derogatory report IMHO.

What I should have added was this comment:
    "It is not clear what kind of handgun she was packing when the incident occurred."

IDK, maybe it's me being cynical.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. BoonDocks36

BoonDocks36 Oregon, in the boondocks Christian. Conservative. Male.

From what I read, in that link, it sounds like another case of stupid gun owner... IMHO, ~CC~ Means hyper vigilant on where and how that gun is, 24/7/365.... Had that been in Place, child's hand Should not have been Able (2 year old Child????) to Get into the Purse, let alone, the Gun Area of the Purse.

while I am not in Favor, of overstretched rules to receive a Concealed Carry Permit, however the State names that subject... In fact, I would rather there be Zero ~rules/laws/regulations ~ upon Concealed Carry itself, I believe that anyone who is going to do that, should go through a Standardized TEST, to show all needed to prevent just an accident.

The RADIO NEWS just reported on this... Fairly flat, unbiased reporting.

My question would start with how could a 2year old Pull a Trigger? A CC Weapon is chosen for safely providing protection against attack.

I will say the Qualifier Word there is Safely

If her trigger pull is so light, that a two year old can pull the trigger, then it stands to reason, that the Containment System, AKA "Holster" have a Trigger fully covered, and weapon strapped into the holster!!!

Not much more complicated than that.

The woman killed herself, with Stupidity... And it makes the Real gun users look bad, by proxy of A gun is a gun is a gun....

philip

4. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

I have the feeling that her purse wasn't on her person and it was probably sitting open in the cart with the kid (see that all the time).

BoonDocks36 and CoastRange57 like this.
  5. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just more support for not carrying a weapon in the purse. Any woman who has had appropriate CC and tactical training understands that quite well. My wife and daughter carries quite well on their persons, and would never have it in her purse.

6. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This is a very sad story, and an unfortunate reminder that if you're going to carry, it's your responsibility to keep the gun under control at all times. I've not been a fan of these gun purses, nor am I a fan of gun bags such as back packs and briefcases. It seems far more likely that it could be stolen, lost or otherwise separated from the gun owner. I understand it's not practical or allowable for some folks to carry a gun on their person, but I would say it should be a last resort to use these other methods. If it's on you, it's far more likely to remain out of sight, more likely to remain under your control, and more likely to be readily available if you need it.

Unfortunately stories like these, while tragic, also serve as fodder for the anti-gunners. No doubt they'll make a point of doing so with this one as well.

7. Blackcobra

Blackcobra Camas Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Very tragic; tough for some women to carry unless in their purse, though. They need to be aware of the location of their weapon 24/7 regardless.

Not to make light of it, but had she survived the gunshot, she probably would have been prosecuted for an illegal transfer under I-594. :rolleyes:

8. Blackcobra

The anti's are going to eat it up. I've been reading the comments on several news sites; I had to quit reading, as my blood pressure was climbing.

9. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

They need to decide if they want to be safe and protected, or they are willing to compromise that for the sake of style. My daughter is a 31 year old professional /administrative level LEO. She dresses very stylish and manages to very effectively conceal a Kel Tec 9mm and an extra magazine on her person. My DIL is a management level administrator and carries a SW Bodyguard every day, usually in an ankle holster or in a small of the back holster. They would no more be disconnected from their weapon for any reason. You would never guess these blondies were carrying a weapon, and that is the way they want it.

10. Blackcobra

Coincidentally, I just got my wife a Diamondback DB9 today for that reason - several hours before I heard this news. I've never liked the purse carry, so the G26 got replaced with something even more concealable.

11. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

This is why off the body carry is a bad idea if you dont ALWAYS maintain situational awareness.

That and ladies think they can just rummage aroubd in that XXL purse with all that other junk and be able to present her firearm..

Oh you say you have a special zipper pocket in that purse?
    Yes, just ask the bad guy to hold on just a few seconds while you delicatly unzip the pocket, pull out your firearm and then present it.. Sheeeesh..

This type of common sense just isnt common among folks who just "dabble" with firearms.. You can have hundreds of hours of training under your belt
    (or in your purse) but if you dont actively live a defensive and situationally aware lifestyle.. its all worthless.

12. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I did not read everyone's comments...

But I'll just point out that probably a few million women carry guns in their purses regularly, and despite this is extremely rare occurrence.

Sgt Nambu and Mikej like this.
  13. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Caveman Jim and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  14. Windsor

Windsor Myrtle Creek OR Active Member

So she pulls her shirt up to get to her gun in a bra holster? I can see that going badly.

15. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Was she "carrying" a Glock? The trigger "safety" is the reason I don't even want to own one. Even LEO's have ND's with them.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    Defender of Freedom Award
    Washington Arms Collector Member
    Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Caveman Jim, albin25 and Blackcobra like this.
  16. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Haha, yes but that isnt saying much. ;)

forefathersrback and notazombie like this.
  17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Oh no another person that can't handle a firearm properly so they have to talk down a glock.
    Sheez man,I'm a klutz and have never had a ND with any of the 5 or more glocks I have carried

OK on topic.
    I do not like purse carry at all. Leave it for a moment and we see what can happen
    It is NOT any harder for a woman to carry than a man.WAY TOO many different carry methods for women now.Or they could alter their apparel to carry easier.
    She was in ID so the 594 joke was,well just bad taste
    If wearing a flash bang I would guess a woman would wear a skirt and a blouse or sweater so they didn't have to show their knickers

My second wife told me she had bought a glock.We weren't married yet.
    Where is it? In my purse. Well it was at the bottom and it was kinda pink from makeup.
    I basically told her what ZA was saying,hold on there... I have a gun here... some place
    Told her she'd be dead before she found the gun.

This was a bad deal all around. She had probably had the toddler at range times,so it would et used to being around the normal everyday life of guns.Apparently the kid was too quick a learner.
    Sorry for all 4 kids of her that witnessed it

Caveman Jim and forefathersrback like this.
  18. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I carry a glock 27.
    With an empty chamber.

19. Blackcobra

That's the first thing I asked my brother when he told me about this.

"Was it a Glock?"

Not Glock bashing - that's what first came to mind when I wondered what gun a toddler could fire easily. A Glock "cocked" (partially cocked - whatever) and not "locked" (no other safeties besides the one on the trigger). I've never been comfortable carrying a Glock in Conditon 1 (0?).

That said - and back on topic - this was more negligence than an accident. Easily preventable no matter what kind of pistol she had.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  20. Blackcobra

Condition 3 - Israeli Method. I did the same when I carried my G19 for a short time.

rick benjamin likes this.