JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not to disparage Mike or anyone else, But...maybe, if I recall he's shorter than me
The only way to ensure not being guilty is to be somewhere else.
Getting your gun back after the "incident" is a separate issue. Remember to ask nicely...
CC insurence may help your defense. If you are bonehead and do everything wrong, you may go to jail forever.
So, $300 per year for insurance (or so) may help. If you're found at fault, you are going to be paying more than you ever dreamed you would ever imagine ever earning ever.

It seems to me the CC Insurance industry is a big scam playing to the gun grabbers need to instill fear about guns particularly into responsible gun owners. Every conversation I've had with a salesman is full of what iff's and straw-man arguments. No real data or facts are brought up.
Here's what I think would happen if I had to shoot someone because my life or families was in immediate danger. The cops would show up and do one of two things(1) "good shootin' Tex, nice grouping" or (2)they'd take me and the firearm to jail. I'd get released soonish probably no later than the next morning. I don't see where an insurance policy will help that process at all. Next the prosecutor will determine whether the shooting was justified of not. If it was justified then end of story, I get the gun back and have to live with the thing that I've done. If not justified then a trial ensues. Again no insurance policy will help in that determination.
Lastly, if a CC was used am I licensed to carry or not would be the question to answer. Again no insurance will protect me if I'm not legal to carry and don't possess said license.
And who will pay the bail and thousands of dollars for an atty?

See I've read the posts in the link and still can find no case that the insurance was used to help or change the out come of the case. I mean if a gun grabbing judge keeps my gun will the insurance buy my a new one like fire insurance does if your she shed burns down?

You think this insurance is about buying you a new gun? And that's what you're most worried about if you have to shoot someone?

Here is the real world example. Linky below. It's three parts and long but well worth the read IMO.

If you have the type of deep pockets that can afford to pay for the legal defense of a murder trial, you don't need the insurance.

Or if you think the odds of something like this happening are small and you're comfortable betting the odds and living with the consequences if you're wrong, you don't need the insurance.

Personally, I think the odds of being in a defensive shooting are pretty small. But if you are in a shooting, I think the odds of there being some type of legal ramifications are great...far greater than 50/50. Say, 75/25 that you will need an attorney. And they simply aren't cheap.

I can see in the above case, that a good lawyer was needed, Sounded more like an old western middle of the street gun fight rather than a had no other options right to defend my life situation.

I think it may cause unintended consequences. If I was a prosecuting attorney and decided to bring charges against a CC holder that was involved in a shooting it would be pretty easy to spin the argument by saying "they planned for a shooting, they purchased insurance and went out looking for a fight"....

Not to say it doesn't have a place; but for me the potential for it to be spun the wrong way outweighs any potential benefit.
That will not work for a prosecutor on that argument we all buy car insurance so we can go out and run someone over or wreck the car just to get a nice new one
puff

That will not work for a prosecutor on that argument we all buy car insurance so we can go out and run someone over or wreck the car just to get a nice new one
puff

In every state in order to drive one is legally required to have insurance. Last I checked, zero states require CHL/CPL/CCW insurance; it is a totally optional move. Apples, oranges.

Re: WA and NY. I think all these "insurance" companies screwed the pooch. They are claiming it is insurance. But it's really just prepaid legal. It they advertised it as such, I dont think WA or NY would have any issues with it.

Lawyer_Up_Better_Call_Saul.jpg

Aloha, Mark

This is the one thing that worries me.

If I ever had to use it in home defense or in a bad setting with no escape options, it would be the very same legal system coming for me and failing that the civil suit from the family would sure come.

It's like your meant to lose unless you are rich or got them "connections".

If I ever had to use it in home defense or in a bad setting with no escape options, it would be the very same legal system coming for me and failing that the civil suit from the family would sure come.

Ya, but you're still alive.

Even if you win you lose. :rolleyes:

For this reason you may want to look at two types of insurance. Type 1 is what is being discussed here...those policies that cover your bail and legal expenses.

Type 2 is liability insurance...in the event that you lose the civil suit and have to pay out. Your home owners policy usually has liability insurance attached to it. But it is unclear to me if they would cover/pay out on a self defense shooting. You can also buy additional liability insurance by the way of an umbrella policy. But again, it is unclear to me if these types of policies pay out on a self defense shooting. It's a good question to discuss with your agent. But I'd also want to see something in writing directly from the company that says they would cover something like this.

Even if you win you lose. :rolleyes:

For this reason you may want to look at two types of insurance. Type 1 is what is being discussed here...those policies that cover your bail and legal expenses.

Type 2 is liability insurance...in the event that you lose the civil suit and have to pay out. Your home owners policy usually has liability insurance attached to it. But it is unclear to me if they would cover/pay out on a self defense shooting. You can also buy additional liability insurance by the way of an umbrella policy. But again, it is unclear to me if these types of policies pay out on a self defense shooting. It's a good question to discuss with your agent. But I'd also want to see something in writing directly from the company that says they would cover something like this.
Still revolves around needing expendable cash tbh.

Ya, but you're still alive.

True but still absolutely destroyed by the courts but like that old saying that I cannot recall 100% better to be judged than carried by 6 iirc.

Let me add something that all who plan on getting some form of protection for bail and legal expenses need to consider. First, it is generally against public policy to sell insurance to cover a person's intentional wrong doing and this is where the rub comes in. In a self defense situation you are likely to be charged with an intentional wrong and it would be nearly impossible to argue that your actions in drawing a firearm, pointing it at another person and pulling the trigger was not an intentional act, especially if you follow your training and keep firring until the threat has stopped. The issue will be whether your conduct was wrong or justified. If wrong, you will be convicted and your insurance policy will be void as against public policy, if not specific exclusions in the policy itself. Next, consider the situation where your are charged with murder or manslaughter. You have a top attorney representing you and the prosecutor' knows that his case is weak, so he offers a plea bargain to assault or brandishing with no or minimal jail time. If you take the deal to avoid the much greater consequences of a conviction for murder or manslaughter, you will be admitting wrong doing. Now what happens to your so called insurance coverage? What happens to your coverage with respect to a civil case brought by the bad guy's family?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top