JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It seems to me the CC Insurance industry is a big scam playing to the gun grabbers need to instill fear about guns particularly into responsible gun owners. Every conversation I've had with a salesman is full of what iff's and straw-man arguments. No real data or facts are brought up.
Here's what I think would happen if I had to shoot someone because my life or families was in immediate danger. The cops would show up and do one of two things(1) "good shootin' Tex, nice grouping" or (2)they'd take me and the firearm to jail. I'd get released soonish probably no later than the next morning. I don't see where an insurance policy will help that process at all. Next the prosecutor will determine whether the shooting was justified of not. If it was justified then end of story, I get the gun back and have to live with the thing that I've done. If not justified then a trial ensues. Again no insurance policy will help in that determination.
Lastly, if a CC was used am I licensed to carry or not would be the question to answer. Again no insurance will protect me if I'm not legal to carry and don't possess said license.

ACLDN isn't insurance per se, but a source of financial support in the event of a legitimate self-defense case getting prosecuted.
Buyers Guide
Like insurance you pay a small amount a month and hope to hell you never need it.
Like it or not, there are a lot of venues where you are going to be put through the wringer no matter how justified you are in shooting someone. Knowing you have some financial support if that happens is reassuring to many people.

I am not affiliated with ACLDN other than Jeannie signed us up a few years ago. I am ambivalent about the importance of it, but it makes her feel better so it's okay with me.

Last Edited:
See I've read the posts in the link and still can find no case that the insurance was used to help or change the out come of the case. I mean if a gun grabbing judge keeps my gun will the insurance buy my a new one like fire insurance does if your she shed burns down?

See I've read the posts in the link and still can find no case that the insurance was used to help or change the out come of the case. I mean if a gun grabbing judge keeps my gun will the insurance buy my a new one like fire insurance does if your she shed burns down?
Is there a clause in the policy demanding silence?
Probably.

I'm no opposed to insurance; I carry life for all four people, auto, home owner's (with additional riders), and umbrella policies. I remain unconvinced of the need for CHL insurance for the average person. The odds of being involved in a defensive shooting is diminishingly small and we have assets to retain a good attorney.

It seems to me the CC Insurance industry is a big scam playing to the gun grabbers need to instill fear about guns particularly into responsible gun owners. Every conversation I've had with a salesman is full of what iff's and straw-man arguments. No real data or facts are brought up.
Here's what I think would happen if I had to shoot someone because my life or families was in immediate danger. The cops would show up and do one of two things(1) "good shootin' Tex, nice grouping" or (2)they'd take me and the firearm to jail. I'd get released soonish probably no later than the next morning. I don't see where an insurance policy will help that process at all. Next the prosecutor will determine whether the shooting was justified of not. If it was justified then end of story, I get the gun back and have to live with the thing that I've done. If not justified then a trial ensues. Again no insurance policy will help in that determination.
Lastly, if a CC was used am I licensed to carry or not would be the question to answer. Again no insurance will protect me if I'm not legal to carry and don't possess said license.
And if you have a trial you need to present a legal defense. That can run $50K and up. That's when you need insurance, and when having it makes a difference. Or maybe you want a government supplied "free" lawyer to represent you. I don't know.

And if you have a trial you need to present a legal defense. That can run $50K and up. That's when you need insurance, and when having it makes a difference. Or maybe you want a government supplied "free" lawyer to represent you. I don't know.

Not to mention whether or not you're prosecuted, the family of the deceased will often file a civil lawsuit against you "because you had no right to be judge, jury, and executioner", as well as "he/she was just turning their life around and you took that away".... BS, mentality. ;):rolleyes:

The trial would be about whether the shooting was in self defense and justified or not. Pretty much would have nothing to do with concealed carry. Will their lawyers represent me in a self defense case or only about the CC issues?

I currently have a retainer with CCW SAFE.
Regularly receive advice on how to comport myself regarding a shooting.
"Need to call my lawyer", and have a phone number to call.
Attended seminars regarding legal vs illegal situations.
In all cases, render aid, be polite, don't volunteer any information without your attorney present.

Not to mention whether or not you're prosecuted, the family of the deceased will often file a civil lawsuit against you "because you had no right to be judge, jury, and executioner", as well as "he/she was just turning their life around and you took that away".... BS, mentality. ;):rolleyes:
More BS and knee jerk reaction. One more time the question is, was it a legal act of self defense or not.

The trial would be about whether the shooting was in self defense and justified or not. Pretty much would have nothing to do with concealed carry. Will their lawyers represent me in a self defense case or only about the CC issues?
Not sure what you're talking about here. If you are forced to defend your life with your CCW you will very possibly be charged with manslaughter at a minimum. There's no severance between that manslaughter charge and anything to do with concealed carry. If you have a CHL that's not a concern anyway. Am I missing something?

Thank you all for that, I see now that calling it CC insurance is a bit of a mis-nomer and that's where my confustion and dis trust came from, if it truly is a firearms advocate lawyer on the hook for me then I'm good with that.

I think it may cause unintended consequences. If I was a prosecuting attorney and decided to bring charges against a CC holder that was involved in a shooting it would be pretty easy to spin the argument by saying "they planned for a shooting, they purchased insurance and went out looking for a fight"....

Not to say it doesn't have a place; but for me the potential for it to be spun the wrong way outweighs any potential benefit.

I think you're misunderstanding the point of the insurance. Using a pistol in self defense, pending the circumstances, has a few fairly nasty potential repercussions:

- You may be held in jail
- You may be accused of a crime, in which case you'll need to retain a lawyer and post bail

Now, you can believe yourself in the right for a self defense shooting but, if you're being charged with a crime, your belief is worth absolutely $0. If you have the funds, like @CountryGent mentioned, to secure a lawyer and post bail, then by all means don't bother with insurance.

But, if you don't have the funds, then analyze if you could afford to sit in jail awaiting trial. I know that, personally, without me working and pulling in a paycheck, and with all available funds going to my wife's education and our family expenses, it won't take long before we're in a real crap situation.

If I'm involved in a self defense shooting, I'd hope that it would be apparent what went down, I can make my statement, and then be left alone. But, I don't plan for the sunshine scenario - I plan for the scenario where I'm forced to confront an overzealous DA looking to make an example out of me. So, yea, I've got my insurance.

I think it may cause unintended consequences. If I was a prosecuting attorney and decided to bring charges against a CC holder that was involved in a shooting it would be pretty easy to spin the argument by saying "they planned for a shooting, they purchased insurance and went out looking for a fight"....

Not to say it doesn't have a place; but for me the potential for it to be spun the wrong way outweighs any potential benefit.

Though I haven't seen case law specific to that, I've wondered about that scenario. Some of the accounts of I read of legitimate self-defense cases going to trial the prosecution did everything in their power to paint the accused as a blood-thirsty, hot-headed, gun nut who fantasized about shooting people everyday. There was a fellow on another gun board who a defensive shoot they did exactly, but when the facts came out, the deceased was shown to be a wife-beater, drunkard/addict, generally ill-tempered, and was in fact tanked when he assaulted the accused. He walked, but he burned up a lot time and resources, his family suffered, and he lost job.

Next the prosecutor will determine whether the shooting was justified of not. If it was justified then end of story, I get the gun back and have to live with the thing that I've done. If not justified then a trial ensues. Again no insurance policy will help in that determination.
It doesn't work that way. Prosecutors do not care if the shooting was justified they care if they think they can get a conviction ($$). Plenty of cases of justified shoots have been taken to trial. The concern here is the cost of that trial is all on the [justified] defenders shoulders and can cost hundreds of thousands...

If you think its as simple as a righteous shoot or not, read this story.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top