JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm fairly new to CC and just recently got my first IWB holster (stealthgear) for my ruger lc9s pro. I've learned a little about gun belts and can see the benefit for full sized, steel framed pistols but right now I'm using a regular belt and it seems OK to me. I've had trouble finding info on how beneficial gun belts are for small polymer framed pistols. If I buy a true gun belt will I say "wow, it really DOES make a difference"? And if so, specifically how will it make a difference?

Gun belts are much stiffer and dont give or bend as much. The makes holstering and drawing much faster, more consistent, and safer. Any part of your carry system that gives way can result in snags or inconsistent draws.

Durability is also a plus. Heavier, thicker, stiffer belts dont warp as wad in the long hall.

Some prefer leather, I prefer reinforced nylon rigger/training belts because I can mainting the correct tightness throughout the length of the belt rather than just the holes.

Thanks for the input. I get all that from what I've read but my question is specifically with regard to small, light pistols. To my knowledge, I'm not experiencing sagging or bending and I haven't noticed any issues while practicing my drawing that make me think a better belt would make it any better. Now of course that very well could be (and likely is) just my ignorance but in my state of ignorance I'm wondering if the benefit of a gun belt for big, heavy guns largely disappears for small, light guns, i.e. the larger/heavier the gun, the more important it is, and the smaller/lighter it is the less important it is. If that's not true, why do I not seem to have any problems with my regular belt?

If you need more stability or you are carrying a heavy weapon, then yes it makes a huge difference. Due to how people carry, what they're carrying, and other personal (ergonomic?) issues, some people need different things from their gun belt. Things I look for are retention, stiffness, and appearance. While I prefer my tactical belt, there's many occasions where it isn't business/dress appropriate and I had to get a dedicated gun belt for work and other social events.

I've had almost a dozen gun belts over the years. Several have broken from putting them through stresses probably not intended for them. Some just wouldn't hold the weight intended well enough as I experimented with putting various holsters, magazines and other accessories. Some just showed their wear and tear way too early. For tactical belts, I've always had good luck with 5-11. The hardest time I've had would be with dress belts. I ended up getting a custom belt from Beltman and have best EXTREMELY happy with it, though expensive. They're also a good option for people who need custom sized belts (from 29" to 70").

One of my worst belt failures was from a Carhartt dress belt. It was tough and sturdy and lasted me for year or two carrying my M&P shield or Glock 26 almost everyday. I can tell you it was also one of my most embarrassing moments to have my belt get snagged on something in our warehouse, my belt break, and my pants fall down with my CC pistol in plain sight of my co-workers, boss, and a couple customers. Luckily, no one seemed to notice or care about the pistol over laughing at my predicament. Ever since, toughness has been absolutely important.

If you are only carrying a small poly pistol you can use a lighter duty belt. I wouldn't but you can. Also, IWB is easier because the belt is holding the entire holster to the body, rather than just a small suspension area/point! That will twist and deform the belt with an OWB.
I recommend getting a GB when you can. You'll never look back and the GB's last for years and years! :)

Thanks for the input. I get all that from what I've read but my question is specifically with regard to small, light pistols. To my knowledge, I'm not experiencing sagging or bending and I haven't noticed any issues while practicing my drawing that make me think a better belt would make it any better. Now of course that very well could be (and likely is) just my ignorance but in my state of ignorance I'm wondering if the benefit of a gun belt for big, heavy guns largely disappears for small, light guns, i.e. the larger/heavier the gun, the more important it is, and the smaller/lighter it is the less important it is. If that's not true, why do I not seem to have any problems with my regular belt?

How does your carry system react when you draw quickly under stress? If you pinch a little too muc your belt and not enough of your gun on a quick draw, does the belt come with you or does it stay put? Does your belt give you the ability to reholster without looking for your holster or worse yet, having to adjust your holster?

"Newbie" response here...

If your belt works, great!

Like others suggest though, I also recommend getting a belt more specific for carrying. While your belt may be fine now, you may like to expand your options in the future.

I CC an LC9S, or a CZ75D (heavy full-size compact) or a Ruger SR9C (lighter full-size compact) IWB.

While my old belt was fine for the LC9S & an extra magazine plus all my everyday junk, it was lacking for the full-size compacts plus spare magazine.

I also OWB carry (around the house, or concealed-jacket on occassion), and my old belt was lacking even with just the LC9S OWB.

Simple 5.11 belts cost about the same as a similar "style" REI type belt, but retain there rigid-ness better.

You have answered your own question, if it is comfortable and does the job of keeping your firearm where you want / need it, there is no reason to pour out money on one of those gee whiz reinforced heavy duty belts that will cost a bundle.
When I started carrying my Ruger SR9C I ordered one of those heavy leather belts that is embossed with a herring bone pattern 1 1/2" wide from Tandy Leather and it's all the belt I need all I had to do was cut it to length punch some holes and stain it to suit me, my main problem is keeping my britches up since I don't have much butt anymore to keep them from being on the ground, and I didn't want anyone singing that song to poor old me!
So I bought some heavy duty suspenders to prevent that.

Take a look here, no I don't have anything to do with Tandy other than buy supplies from them.

Leather Belts and Straps

There are several options depending on whether you want it completely plain or fancy your call but for less than $20 + shipping you can have a perfectly serviceable belt to carry your hog leg on, it won't be ugly either. Hummm I like the look of the rope edged one. Nah I've got all the belt I need.
Gabby

Belt?

You need a belt? :D

pants on the ground 0.jpg

I'm fairly new to CC and just recently got my first IWB holster (stealthgear) for my ruger lc9s pro. I've learned a little about gun belts and can see the benefit for full sized, steel framed pistols but right now I'm using a regular belt and it seems OK to me. I've had trouble finding info on how beneficial gun belts are for small polymer framed pistols. If I buy a true gun belt will I say "wow, it really DOES make a difference"? And if so, specifically how will it make a difference?

I consider a good belt like the foundation to my house. A cheap one will fail and likely at the worst time. We spend all this money on a nice Gun & Holster, then cheap out the foundation? It's your call, but since you chose to carry you obviously have put some thought into this decision, go the extra step and build that house on a strong foundation.

I've been spending a lot of time looking for a new belt. I like the web belts but feel the leather would be better for support.
Problem I'm finding with leather gun belts is they all look like 80s police belts, or 90s butch belts.

I'm trying to find a somewhat stylish leather belt in black.
The brown ones look way better But I wear black a lot.

It's hard to know for sure OP since we don't know what your current belt is or how it looks/performs when on. But if you think things seem fine they probably are.

With that said, could you borrow a belt from someone just to try on? Also, odds are pretty good that at some point you will want to move up to a real gun belt as your CCW experience progresses, you carry different and/or heavier guns, and for range work. My point is, you probably don't need a belt right this second but it will probably be something you will eventually want and need. A good belt should also last you several years and can be worn even when you don't carry. Well worth the money when you're ready.

I've been spending a lot of time looking for a new belt. I like the web belts but feel the leather would be better for support.

This may not actually be the case. A web belt can be just rigid and even more so than a leather belt. Leather can also stretch over time and may not hold up to the elements quite as well.

Take a look at the Ares Aegis belt. It is as rigid as any leather belt and more rigid than many of them. It is also infinitely adjustable so you can position it exactly as needed or make small adjustments throughout the day. Can't do that with the traditional hole system of most leather belts. The Aegis will easily handle any CCW load you need as well as a full range load out. However it is not cheap. But it will easily last you 5 years...probably more.

Yeah they are nice, and the price suggests that.
I know you get what you pay for, but I can't see paying more than $50-$60 for a belt.
I don't carry for work (can't) and this would be a belt for after work and weekends. All in all it's a small piece of material.
It should cost that much.

Well I'm just a cheap SOB. With how often I wear it I wouldn't know the difference between a $50 belt and a $100+ belt.

Blue Alpha Gear
They make a wonderful gunbelt that comes in a few versions. First one is $30 and comes with a larger "backpack" buckle. The Next one has a Cobra Buckle for $50. For a little more they have a "Hybrid" which is a cobra buckle with a smaller male part of the buckle so its easier to thread through your pants. I can recommend all of these (Dont have a hybrid yet to try). For the price you can get a few also. Oh and everything is hand made in Georgia!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top