JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was wondering if any of you in the Seattle area could enlighten me regarding concealed carry at the Space Needle and McCaw Hall.
My wife and I are going up there for a visit and we'll be going for dinner at the Space Needle and for a concert at McCaw Hall.
Does anyone know what we might expect at these two venues?
Thanks.

i was at the space needle several years ago and you had to take your picture to go up. they later try to sell you a photograph but I think they run your pic through a law enforcement data base since the space needle is supposedly a terrorist target. It would be interesting though to find out what to expect if you had your permit and your sidearm with you.

Hmmm...
If the Space Needle is classified as a potential terrorist target, then it seems pretty likely they will have some sort of prohibition on carrying firearms up there.

I'd expect nothing unless you slip up and let someone see you are carrying. Then you'll probably get asked to leave.

They dont make you walk through detectors in any concerts halls i've been to in Seattle either (mccaw, moore, paramount, etc). If you were going to some venue with lots of crime/gang problems then yes perhaps.

There's a sign on the way up the ramps to the elevators on the Space Needle that says no firearms, and the "security guard" at her podium did do a bag check on my wife...but it was just a quick glance, so she didn't see my wife's 9mm xdsc in the middle pocket of her purse, and she never checked me for mine. When I went to McCaw Hall to watch the Nutcracker, I never noticed any signs, but they also didn't do any weapons check that I can remember.

Isn't the Needle privately owned? The worst that could happen in that scenario is that they ask you to leave. (If you refuse, you can get trespassing charges). There is no law against carrying "against the signs". However, if you are not following the rules set forth by the owner, be prepared for them to ask you to leave.

OK that's good news - thank-you very much for the input.
So far, I haven't slipped up as far as having anyone discover I'm carrying (although I suppose there's always a first time).
I probably don't need to bring my firearm, but I've never been to downtown Seattle and - as the saying goes - it's better to have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have it.

I would say if you are running around at night in Seattle,I would be a packin'

Agreed.

Seattle is not altogether a terrible place, but there's lots of homeless people hanging around downtown. I've carried on the space needle. Probably wouldn't have if I had seen a sign, but I didn't. If it is a terrorist target, I don't think a sidearm is is going to do much against a 747.

From the Seattle Space Needle Website:

*Building Policies:
For the safety of all guests, weapons will not be permitted in the Space Needle. The only exception to this is law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. The presenter of a ticket consents to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will result in no admittance.

I have been to the Space Needle several times when friends and family come to town. I have never been searched. I have never seen a sign outside the Space Needle stating "no firearms" but I may have just missed it.

Personally I would not go to downtown Seattle without carrying. I live here and love this place but as someone stated above there are all kinds down there especially after dark. All The Needle can do is ask you to leave, and if they do then graciously and apologetically leave. I carry at local concerts and festivals all the time, outdoors and indoors. Remember Concealed means Concealed! Enjoy your trip to Seattle and Welcome! - G

PS: I am also assuming you have a WA Concealed Hangun permit. If not then don't carry concealed in WA State at all of course. I sure hope that OR House Bill clears the Senate there so WA and OR residents can have reciprocity in each others state, it's way past due.

Last Edited:
From the Seattle Space Needle Website:

*Building Policies:
For the safety of all guests, weapons will not be permitted in the Space Needle. The only exception to this is law enforcement personnel in the performance of their official duties. The presenter of a ticket consents to a reasonable search for weapons before entering. Failure to comply with the above conditions will result in no admittance.

I have been to the Space Needle several times when friends and family come to town. I have never been searched. I have never seen a sign outside the Space Needle stating "no firearms" but I may have just missed it.

Personally I would not go to downtown Seattle without carrying. I live here and love this place but as someone stated above there are all kinds down there especially after dark. All The Needle can do is ask you to leave, and if they do then graciously and apologetically leave. I carry at local concerts and festivals all the time, outdoors and indoors. Remember Concealed means Concealed! Enjoy your trip to Seattle and Welcome! - G

PS: I am also assuming you have a WA Concealed Hangun permit. If not then don't carry concealed in WA State at all of course. I sure hope that OR House Bill clears the Senate there so WA and OR residents can have reciprocity in each others state, it's way past due.

Agreed! I'm tired of having to hide my sidearm under the seat when I leave the state of WA.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't have my WA permit, but I do have my UT permit (and my OR CHL of course) and I'm pretty sure my UT permit allows me to carry in WA state. In fact, I just checked concealedcarry.net and it does indicate that WA recognizes the UT permit, and I'm pretty sure it also indicates you don't have to be a resident of UT for them to honor the UT permit (it appears that Vermont, Colorado and Florida only honor RESIDENTIAL UT permits). Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

FWIW -- I was up at the Space Needle a during Oregon Spring Break with the family.... They did a *very* cursory search of the wife's purse and that was it... I do not currently have a permit recognized by WA (It's on my "to-do" list.) I dont know what it was about D/T Seattle and especially the area around the Needle... but my "Spidey-Senses" were in overdrive... (Disclosure: Grew up in NPDX, and work Graveyard in D/T PDX) Nothing happened, never even had eyes on anymore closer than a half block away.... But IMHO, I will be getting a valid permit up there before I go back... Especially at night....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top