JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You may have recently seen CBI pistol powder advertised at really cheap prices and wondered what it is.

CBI stands for Clean Burning Initiators (or Ignitor) and used as a prefire prime in 155 Howitzers. It is a bulky flake powder that is very clean burning and fairly low pressure.

It is accurate, easy to shoot, meters fairly well and nearly fills a 9mm case in loads up to 1000 fps. The data provided by CVDS is not accurate regarding 115 gr loads. Following is from a member at gunloads.com:

"Took a few shots to get the hang of the LabRadar but I love it! So here are some results I hope you guys who bought this powder might find useful.

CBI Powder testing results:

9mm 115gr Plated bullet (Xtreme). 1.155 OAL
Glock 17Gen4 w/factory recoil spring. Lone Wolf barrel.
CBI Pistol Powder

4.4gr
Average 864fps. Would not cycle slide.

Average 874fps. Would not cycle slide.

Average 922fps. Failed to cycle slide 3 times out of 5. I would guess there was an almost 50fps jump in speed as the load become more compressed.

5.0 grn weight. Not tested as this and above overfilled the case.

Summary: I will NOT be using this powder with 115grn bullets.

9mm 125gr Blue Bullet. 1.155 OAL
Glock 17Gen4 w/factory recoil spring. Lone Wolf barrel.
CBI Pistol Powder

4.4gr
Average 930fps. Normal slide cycle.

Average 950fps. Normal slide cycle.

Average 991fps. Normal slide cycle. Once again, the almost 50fps jump as the load became more compressed. PF of 114. Very little smoke!

5.0 grn weight. Not tested as this and above overfilled the case.

Summary: I will be using this powder with 125grn bullets. Seems to be an excellent range or match load at 4.8 if not needing to make a high power factor. I think it will make an excellent .45ACP load. 45 and 9mm are the only calibers I reload."

There are also many comments and load data on a variety of other cartridges, particularly 45acp, 38 special and others.

It is bulky (see pix of 4.5 gr) but loads well, shoots clean, and for about 15 bucks
a pound will save reloaders a bunch of coin.

I'll give a bit of it to anyone interested in trying it.... and no, I don't sell it...

20220512_164829.jpg

Last Edited:
The green flake color resembles Vectan A1.

I wouldn't buy a barrel of it before seeing how it meters in my powder measure. Large flake powders can be trouble in some measures. Things like 800X, Vectan AO, etc.

Just my personal view, I wouldn't find its best use in 9mm because of the volume it takes up based on info in the OP. When it comes to compressed loads, I start looking for another powder to use.

I wouldn't buy a barrel of it before seeing how it meters in my powder measure. Large flake powders can be trouble in some measures. Things like 800X, Vectan AO, etc.

Just my personal view, I wouldn't find its best use in 9mm because of the volume it takes up based on info in the OP. When it comes to compressed loads, I start looking for another powder to use.
I am considering buying some from american reloading next time they have a powder discount code. I think it might work well in reduced rifle loads.

I looked at their site tonight, it looks like it may be sold out for the time being.
The 4lb and 8lb batches look to be in stock.

Edit looks like only 4lb batch available.

2nd edit, this page has title bar address for another powder but it appears to be for 8lb batch of CBI

Personally I tend to like slightly compressed loads-- especially in cartridges like .357 Sig. I also like bulky powders in cartridges like 38 special and 38 Super.

CBI loads much better than 800x. I like the ballistic characteristics of 800x but need to use the larger rifle powder measure in order to handle even semi consistant throws because of the flake size. I'll happily trade the 800x I have for darn near any other powder....

RE : Pulled down "non-standard" gunpowder without much data?

Assuming that you're taking into account an amount of SAFETY into the equation. I wonder.......what motivates you?

Experiments with the unknown?
Cheap prices?
The thrill of a possible mishap?

Aloha, Mark

PS......YES......I get it, that for some. There is a mountain, therefore I climb.

Don't get me wrong......in the past......I've also bought "surplus powder".

Last Edited:

Assuming that you're taking into account an amount of SAFETY into the equation. I wonder.......what motivates you?

Cheap prices?

Aloha, Mark

PS......YES......I get it, that for some. There is a mountain, therefore I climb.

Better performance. Safety is ALWAYS the first consideration but I'm never paralyzed by it. I've shot a lot of CBI and worked up various loads -- all safely. I like this powder because it's impossible to give it a double charge, it's super clean and "soft" when shot.

Cheap prices?

Aloha, Mark

Thrill of a possible mishap?!!!?

Thrilled getting an eye out or hand blown off?? Are you trying to be Funny? If so, it didn't work.

I also like bulky powders in cartridges like 38 special
I agree on using bulky powders to fill large capacity cases like .38 Spec. For the smaller centerfire pistol cases, I like low volume powders like Tite Group, Win 244, Win 231 with bullets 115-130 gr.. Maybe something a little slower for 147 gr. bullets in 9mm and 130 gr. bullets in .38 Super, like Alliant Power Pistol or BE-86. Just my preferences. YMMV. As I've whittled my battery of firearms down by 75%, one of my goals was to retain commonality of compatible reloading components. So I don't have all that many powders now as I used to have.

Yes, 800X can be a booger to meter and I don't prefer to drop handgun charges by the each, individually measured. I'm not a benchrest shooter. I load single stage, if I look in my loading block and see that all charges appear to be equal. that's usually good enough. The only flake powders I have left that are semi problematic through the powder measure are some Vectan AO and A1. The A1 meters better than the AO.

I think I mentioned this following previously. To reinforce one of the maxims stated in many reloading manuals, only keep one jug of powder on the bench at a time. My long time pal in New Mexico was reloading .223 Rem, he had two jugs of powder out at once. Unfortunately, he grabbed the wrong one and was charging 20-something grains of 800X into .223 cases. He blew up an AR, was very lucky to receive only light injuries. I don't know how he got those 20-something grains of 800X to dump through the small powder measure drop tube, but he did.

To tell the truth........

When I do use "surplus powder".....it's mostly because I'M CHEAP.

Yeah. Looking for......"more bang for the buck" and/or that "optimum/sweet spot" (of economy, accuracy, good metering, easy to acquire, etc.... etc....).

Nope.....I still haven't found the "perfect powder" for my needs and wants (in whatever caliber or loading). So then.....I guess I'm still "Experimenting".

Yeah......a lot of close-to-full and almost empty powder containers on my bench.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....as for the "Thrill". The scale is long, wide, and tall. Then, some people thrive on/like a bit of adrenaline added to their experiences. Cough, cough..... Why would some people even want to try some "Risky Activity"?

Last Edited:
To tell the truth........

When I do use "surplus powder".....it's mostly because I'M CHEAP.

Yeah. Looking for......"more bang for the buck" and/or that "optimum/sweet spot" (of economy, accuracy, good metering, easy to acquire, etc.... etc....).

Nope.....I still haven't found the "perfect powder" for my needs and wants (in whatever caliber or loading). So then.....I guess I'm still "Experimenting".

Yeah......a lot of close-to-full and almost empty powder containers on my bench.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....as for the "Thrill". The scale is long, wide, and tall. Then, some people thrive on/like a bit of adrenaline added to their experiences. Couch, cough..... Why would some people even want to try some "Risky Activity"?
"Why would some people even want to try some "Risky Activity"?"

Because I am cheap.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews