JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to purchase a radio to hear and be able to talk to logging trucks when I wonder the woods.

I know nothing about the laws regarding what can and can not be done with or without a license.

I just want something simple and cost effective.

Any tips or pointers would be recommended.

I'm not going to get into Ham radio or anything, just tired of getting the bird by some guy in a wheeler going too fast on a too narrow road with a few tons of timber on his butt.

Hey Reno ... more than likely, there isn't a single answer for 'logging operations' radio frequencies in the woods, as there are many options. The trend is to try and find channels NOT public, or somehow controlled to they don't get interference on the frequencies and 'channels' they use.

Something that might help at first is to usa a handheld SCANNER that can listen to a large range of frequencies to learn what frequencies are being used in the area of the woods you frequent, before getting a transmit / receive radio. The different technologies for non cellular covered areas are are CB (Citizen Band) which is least likely to be used these days, GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) which technically is a licensed required service (but seldom enforced for casual use.) It's a service with better range and probably used a lot, and then the FRS (Family Radio Service) radios which are license free very limited range. ... Bearcat makes handheld scanners for under $100, probably way less. Set them to scan the frequencies used in these services (internet will tell you the frequencies of commonly used channels) and you'll start to learn where the logging operations operate because these scanners are incredibly frequency agile, can listen to everything. Once you learn where they are talkin', at least you can monitor their operations ... they probably won't talk to you anyway! They're driving that ton of logs down the mountain and a bit busy!

Happy listening!

-Kevin

CB radio requires no license.
CB radio will not shield you from birds.
Problem is those truckers think they own those roads and often times they do.
Talking to the truckers that have digital control problems maybe counter productive.
I usually try to avoid active logging areas, too much dust for me. :(

As far as CB's go, they all have the same output. I would go with the smallest, simplest unit you can find...and thus the cheapest. You need the basic functions, power on/of, volume, squelch, channel selector and a microphone. And it will be much easier to find a place to stash a small one in your rig than one of the bigger ones.

Cobra 29 classic about 120 bucks the trick is to get a good antana and coax cable.
There are cheaper ones out there but if you get the Cobra 29 if want later you can find places that can boost the power up .
Once you get the antana and cable set up and match it to the radio you should be able to talk a few miles .if you get a booster you can go way out there .they used to make what was called a leenera amp .
Kinda like a amp for car radio.
I had a set up years ago that I could talk about 16 miles on a good day.

The log trucks are probably use a different radio or they have a certain channel they talk to each other on .
With out interference from other people.

Oh yeah like he said above they all come stock with the same out put FCC rules.
When I said you can find places and things to boost the power .it's all kinda under the table .
Back of the parking lot at a truck stop lol .
Because if you start interference with other people out there and other radio frequency . it's illegal LOL

To tell the truth lots of the trucks on the road still have them but don't use it much anymore
Most of our trucks don't even have one .any more.

I'm not familiar with all of the logging operations, but my time volunteering with ODF has taught me some.

For the most part, every area I've gone to has the CB radio frequency listed at its entrance. If your calling your location, it seems like they call theirs. Based of the mile markers they mark in the trees.

Usually it's simple talk like. "Pickup inbound (name of road) 4 mile."

They may say "Outbound 6 mile (name of road)"

I appreciate all of the advice guys. The most experience I have with radios is the little ones you can by at the store.

IMG_20180828_091449.jpg MVIMG_20180828_091445.jpg

Go on YouTube and search matching antana

And the are a few videos on setting up a CB
people think you just buy it and put it in .
If you get a good antana and match it right you can get out farther away .or talk farther

I'm not familiar with all of the logging operations, but my time volunteering with ODF has taught me some.

For the most part, every area I've gone to has the CB radio frequency listed at its entrance. If your calling your location, it seems like they call theirs. Based of the mile markers they mark in the trees.

Usually it's simple talk like. "Pickup inbound (name of road) 4 mile."

They may say "Outbound 6 mile (name of road)"

I appreciate all of the advice guys. The most experience I have with radios is the little ones you can by at the store.

You're pretty correct already.

I still travel in the forests, and whenever there are logging operations going on, the log trucks call out the mile markers as they pass them. Often it's marked every half mile, but it could be marked more often if it's a tight area with limited pull offs. These are signs made and hung by the logging company, and are removed when the logging operations are done. They will also post the channel being used for local traffic. A driver might say something as simple as "downhill, 3.5" . And if you're traveling on the same road, they also want to know you're there, so I call out the numbers as I'm in the area.

As far as equipment goes, the sky is the limit. CB radios are cheaper than they've ever been. So you can install a permanent mobile unit in your vehicle, or you can get a walkie talkie, power it thru your cigarette lighter plug, and many full power models have a port to hook up to an external antennae. They are 4-watt, the same as a permanently mounted radio, and a magnetic roof top antennae makes for decent performance and coverage, at least as good as CB can be, which is often at best, mediocre. Many decent CB walkie talkies also have a port for a push-to-talk microphone, so you don't have to hold the walkie talkie itself while you're driving.

There are road hazard units also. A small box contains a radio, power cord, antennae and coax, quickly and simply assembled and connected.
s-l640.jpg

(As said)...Few things in life are as important as matching an antennae and coax to a CB radio. But even if you've got a mismatched antennae connected to a walkie talkie, you'll still be able to hear the other drivers, and you'll still be able to respond at least as well as the little rubber coil antennae that comes with the walkie talkie.

WAYNO.

Here's another, what i think is an excellent and simple option.
56939_700x700.jpg

Last Edited:
I drive Dump truck I use CB radio ALL DAY LONG my company has maybe 50 trucks and 1 tons and pickups with CB's they tend to be two different ones. The little Uniden 505 sells for about $40 with a 4-5' Firestick antenna tuned with a SWR meter to match. Then the big Trucks run a Dual 3'-4' Fire stik antenna on the mirrors (this really only works correctly if you can get the antennas close to 9' apart) Again the trucks running the Unidens are tuned with the SWR meter.

Then our newer trucks run Cobra 29 LTD's with the same Dual Firestik's the Cobra has an internal SWR meter and self adjusts to the antennas.

Range depends on a lot of factors in open ground it can range up to 6-7 miles if you are up on high ground even more. In the woods and rolling hills it can drop to 2 miles.

The key is to get a good quality Mic, Astatic makes some good ones. None of the stock Mic's last or are really worth a bubblegum to start out.

In my world in the Salem area we run on a company channel then a channel for the Gravel Pit and another for the Asphalt plant and then other companies have their own set of channels that interact with the various Plants. Almost every one has the channels listed at the entrance. Same with the way Logging operations do. The comment about calling out mile markers is how it works in the woods. We have done some jobs on such wild roads as to have call outs at less then 1/4 mile. One job we did Neal Creek where we paved a 7 mile long single lane forest service road with minimal turn outs we had some 40+ call outs and with dump trucks climbing as fast as they can and running down as fast as is safe you can bet we used the CB especially since we did much of it pulling trailers!

Before you buy a new CB, keep an eye on Craigslist and garage sales where you can buy them for a fraction of retail. The Cobra 29 series mentioned above is a great unit and the Uniden 505 is legendary for it's ruggedness.

After you buy it used (or new) take it to a shop like Tiny's in Molalla (Welcome to Tiny's CB Shop Home of Tinybilt CB radios) and get it tuned and possibly installed if you don't want to do it yourself. Honestly don't know if loggers use CB or some other system these days, but long haul truckers still talk on channel 19.

Before you buy a new CB, keep an eye on Craigslist and garage sales where you can buy them for a fraction of retail. The Cobra 29 series mentioned above is a great unit and the Uniden 505 is legendary for it's ruggedness.

After you buy it used (or new) take it to a shop like Tiny's in Molalla (Welcome to Tiny's CB Shop Home of Tinybilt CB radios) and get it tuned and possibly installed if you don't want to do it yourself. Honestly don't know if loggers use CB or some other system these days, but long haul truckers still talk on channel 19.
Long haul are on 19 going east and west along the I5 cordor north and south they run 17 .at least that's how it was when I ran the I5

If you need it right now go get one but .if not @Reno911 let me get in my storage unit some time this week to look around I have a few cobra 29 LTD classic radio around some where.
I will give you one .I just have to find them .that one I have here I was going to put in my truck just haven't got around to it.lol but I know I have another one somewhere

If you need it right now go get one but .if not @Reno911 let me get in my storage unit some time this week to look around I have a few cobra 29 LTD classic radio around some where.
I will give you one .I just have to find them .that one I have here I was going to put in my truck just haven't got around to it.lol but I know I have another one somewhere
Dude that would be greatly appreciated.

I'll gladly pay or trade for it.

I'm in no hurry, just was out two weeks ago and got a bad taste in my mouth by one of the not so nice logging truckers.

There are a lot of nicer logging truckers out there, but this guy had a stick up his butt or something.

Like he said above the fire stick antana is a good antana but most guys run two of them .I know you have seen big trucks on the highway with two antana leaning forward like BUG antana.they lean them like that because they are tuned .or matched to the radio .
If you just want to run one antana look at WILSON ANTANA they are kinda exspesive.
But can be turned by raising or lowering the tips .
They also make a magnet one

Dude that would be greatly appreciated.

I'll gladly pay or trade for it.

I'm in no hurry, just was out two weeks ago and got a bad taste in my mouth by one of the not so nice logging truckers.

There are a lot of nicer logging truckers out there, but this guy had a stick up his butt or something.
I think I still have your address from the coins .
I will check my storage tomorrow

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads