JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There was a cobra dealer out by the Safeway distribution center in Clackamas, not sure if they are still there. It's been a few years since I stopped there.

No offense intended here I heart, because I truly think you are one of this sites great guys, if you are going to get into ham radio, ( and you should), installing antennas and radios is part of the process. I know with newer vehicles that can be problematic given newer vehicle interiors and all, especially for more permanent mounts. You might ask around for someone who has done it, or YouTube the process, pretty much everything is on there in one form or another.

I have my radios installed in my 02 Explorer in pretty much a grab and go way. Just laying in the console, with good hard wiring going to the battery, and mag mount antennas with good sealed connectors all around. I can remove the entire package in about 60 to 90 seconds. Handhelds even faster.

Trying to connect with my son on a house boat on Lake Billy Chinook tonight, he was just barely cracking the Mt Hood repeater, not enough to hold the FM modulation phone part open, even with a J pole antenna 20 feet up the house boat. Something about that 400 foot canyon wall.

Good Luck !!

Thanks CoastRange57! You are absolutely correct about learning how to install the stuff and understand the wiring / antennas etc. I was hoping to find someone who could professionally install a CB deck into my truck so it looked good. I lack the fabrication skills to make it look neat. As for the HAM portion, I'm still in the early stages of figuring them out and I am going to take my test in October hopefully.

I would look at one of the remoter mount units. Mount the transmitter under the seat and just have the mic and control head up. These do take possibly seat removal and some trim removal to run antenna wires. You might check with a good reputable stereo installation center. Pretty much the same thing.

Some ideas...even if you pay.

Those cross-over shelves (JC Whitney) that run from each visor mount can hold a lot. You can remount the visors on the bottom of the shelf if you want. Some come with rifle racks.

My KD700 has a remote monitor so the radio is on the right and the monitor is mounted on the edges of the shelf above the steering wheel. My CB is in the center, still plenty of room for the wiring, noise reducer, mikes, and frankly way too much junk.

Its been on my truck since 1998, 273K+ miles ago....much of it off highway.

I drilled the ham antenna into the roof two years ago; I was 100% cautious, but the hot metal bits fell and burned a small hole in the head-liner, but I never look anyway. I have to watch the limbs when I drive through our public jungles.

I added a small remote speaker that is located right above my left ear, and I added a second battery; powered by an isolator so the radios, fog lights, & the inverter cannot drain the main battery.

If you're still looking - I think Day Wireless in Milwaukie does radio installs still. I've worked for a handful of companies that had them install radios in our cars / trucks.

There was a company in downtown PTLD - I think it was called NW Communications - on Glisan and I want to say 14th/15th that programmed / installed the radios in a couple of the trucks in our current fleet.

Day Wireless would be a good choice. I think they are still the Motorola dealer for the area. Used to be Clackamas Communications back in the days before cell phones took radio out. I bought a UHF system for my business back in the 80's from them.

Those cross-over shelves (JC Whitney) that run from each visor mount can hold a lot. You can remount the visors on the bottom of the shelf if you want. Some come with rifle racks.

This is a perfect idea and something I hadn't though of. Thanks Oathkeeper1775! My hesitancy came from cutting into the dash to place the units, there's room but Id want it clean. That shelving unit would allow me to run wires myself and mount them where I wanted. Sounds like a weekend project is in my future!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top