JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I'm more of a local sales guy, but decided to put out a WTB on the forum. In about a day, I was messaged by a guy, here's what he said:
Hello buddy, It seems you're still looking buy the CZ457 Scout, my stepfather has been downsizing his shooting, He has a CZ457 Scout 22LT for sale , His email is [email protected]

Regards.

Now, his account seemed sketchy...he's been a member for about ~3 weeks but almost every single post was to the New Member Forum welcoming people who have posted there. A lot of posts to just new members? Someone's padding their post count...

But, I went ahead and emailed Stefan. It was a pleasant conversation and Stefan indicated that he wanted to ship the rifle FFL to FFL. This seems like one of the most secure methods (to me) of buying a gun from a stranger online. Here's the FFL he told me to use:
Frontier Guns & Ammo
1704 N 1st St, Hamilton MT 59840
Dave Richard
[email protected]
406 272 740

Now, Frontier does exist and is a legit business...but note some crap above: the phone number is incomplete and the email address is a consumer gmail account. I never reached out to that email address but I'd bet that Mr. Scammer Stefan operates that address and pretends to be an FFL.

Another red flag - he wanted me to pay him via PayPal to [email protected]. Seriously. I'm surprised he wasn't bold enough to just use [email protected].

Well, I called up Frontier and asked for a Mr. Dave Richard...and as you'd expect, Dave doesn't exist. Nor have they ever heard of Stefan. Nor did they have the rifle I was interested in.

As soon as I confronted Stefan, he stopped responding to my emails.

To sate some curiosity, I googled the message that the member here had sent me and found:
1617743648009.png

Yep - that's right - same exact message right down to the spaces being used.

I've already flagged Chris's account, though I imagine he'll just create a new one.

This was a cherry poppin' moment for me - and it was about as unexciting as you'd expect. I'll have to work on my technique.

Keep your wallets safe, gents!

Thank you for reporting the scammer.

With that said...all you need to do is report the suspected scammer....
Making a thread about it....can lead to issues.

One issue is , that the suspect , in some cases , not this one , may not be a scammer.
And a thread about a forum member , who is accused of being a scammer , if it turns out to be not true..is a mess...We have had that happen before.

Closing thread.
Andy

I'm more of a local sales guy, but decided to put out a WTB on the forum. In about a day, I was messaged by a guy, here's what he said:

Now, his account seemed sketchy...he's been a member for about ~3 weeks but almost every single post was to the New Member Forum welcoming people who have posted there. A lot of posts to just new members? Someone's padding their post count...

But, I went ahead and emailed Stefan. It was a pleasant conversation and Stefan indicated that he wanted to ship the rifle FFL to FFL. This seems like one of the most secure methods (to me) of buying a gun from a stranger online. Here's the FFL he told me to use:

Now, Frontier does exist and is a legit business...but note some crap above: the phone number is incomplete and the email address is a consumer gmail account. I never reached out to that email address but I'd bet that Mr. Scammer Stefan operates that address and pretends to be an FFL.

Another red flag - he wanted me to pay him via PayPal to [email protected]. Seriously. I'm surprised he wasn't bold enough to just use [email protected].

Well, I called up Frontier and asked for a Mr. Dave Richard...and as you'd expect, Dave doesn't exist. Nor have they ever heard of Stefan. Nor did they have the rifle I was interested in.

As soon as I confronted Stefan, he stopped responding to my emails.

To sate some curiosity, I googled the message that the member here had sent me and found:
View attachment 856187

Yep - that's right - same exact message right down to the spaces being used.

I've already flagged Chris's account, though I imagine he'll just create a new one.

This was a cherry poppin' moment for me - and it was about as unexciting as you'd expect. I'll have to work on my technique.

Keep your wallets safe, gents!
Maybe in the future you explain all this BEFORE reporting the first time and then creating a thread about it and then reporting again, would be more helpful.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads