JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
7DE43C77-7A90-4033-8CE7-332FC5128098.jpeg
Well that narrows it down lol,
if you ever want to try out a 66 or 686 let me know im always up for shooting on sundays and sometimes mondays

I am leaning on "Air Weight's" in the big bore sizes my self, preferably a .44 or .45 Colt! Pricy, but less then others, looked at Pythons or Dan Wesson's lately?
Then there are "Replicas" like Haws and Uberti and even Taurus for a good wheel gun at a good price. And don't forget Ruger, the Red Hawk and Black Hawk are hard to beat!
Think theres a python on here for 3 grand, im trying to avoid that price tag

I'm thinking I need to brush off the scuba diving equipment and go diving around here. Should find a whole lot of nice weapons.

Fight the addiction.

But I will enable you, the Smith 686 and 686+ are awesome 357 wheelguns. But if you plan to get a Python ever, you may want to save up and get one of those cause the value is increasing at a stupid rate. Next year they'll all be firm in the $3000s.
Thats actually a good point on the python, colt still makes saa's. Everything else is still made as well but not the pythons

We load our boats full of guns and don't think about the extra wt lol kinda like a crab boat overload with pots and head out into a storm
When i was selling off one of my rifles last weekend at a pawn shop, i floated over to the pistol case. They had a line of smith&wesson beat up revolvers and a few others. They spoke to me like an m1 did at a gunshow i once went too.
Guns like a colt saa, a python, model 29 have always been in the plan to have one day in my collection, when i get in a place to reestablish one.
Something inside said i need a revolver.
Im curious if you guys got recomendations, something not to pricey, feels/looks classic, preferably in 357?
Smith & wesson has been growning on me lately as well, my only prior experience with them growing up was an ugly polymer pistol in .40 that had the worst sights i have ever used. But their product line seems to be speaking for itself, contemplated a m&p 10 from em. Took notice of the trr8 - 8 rounds of 357 in sexy black is a pretty convincing argument, but lack a classic look. Have experience with a single action ruger as well that i shot very well and enjoyed the "divot and blade" style sights (dont know the real name)
Anyways curious on experience and recomendations that could scratch and itch? Dont wanna repress it then blow all my money on a python when i cave in:rolleyes:
A 686 is the L frame version of the 66, which is K frame. Same size gun and frame, both ss. Both full size adjustable sights. but L frame is a bit heavier built, and has full underlug. Gives the gun a very muzzle-heavy feel, which I like a lot. Great for absorbing recoil, making even 686 snubbies easy to shoot with full power .357 loads. Both are medium frame with identical grip frames. Earlier versions may have square or round grip frames. Later versions all have round grip frames, which are maximally adaptable with respect to what shapes and sizes of grips they can take. Square grip frames limit gun to bigger grips that are harder to conceal. Earlier versions have no lock and the firing pin is on the hammer. (Many detest the unnecessary lock so much they wont buy a modern smith.) Generally, SA trigger is light and has zero creep. DA is smooth with no stacking. The 586 is the blued version of the 686. The current production 686 Plus is still L frame but gives you an extra round. Youre unlikely to find one used, though.

... Black Hawk are hard to beat!

The gun I had more fun with than any other, and loved to shoot more than any other, was a 357 blackhawk with a 7ish inch barrel and mother of pearl grips I had picked up used. If I could get only one gun back that I sold, it would be that one. Shooting 38s out of that thing barely made it move and I could hit a milk jug at 100 yds most of the time with a standing two handed grip on it. And you never have to search for your brass which is nice if you reload.

Best revolver I ever carried on duty was a Colt Python. It was so smooth you hardly know you were pulling the trigger. What I have now is a nice revolver, a S&W 686 7 shot with a 5 inch barrel and non fluted cylinder.

686.jpg

@Basedgreaser Hope I'm not too late to the party. What applications are you thinking about using your revolver for? Conceal-carry, home defense, plinking, cowboy action shooting?

One thing I take into consideration when looking at a revolver for conceal-carry is, where the axis of the bore comes through to the web of your hand. The closer it is to the center of the web in your hand, gives you better recoil management and ability to reaquire targets faster.

A great and easy way to measure is take a straight edge or piece of paper and line it up just under the bottom of the barrel and then see where the axis line is in your hand. You can even do this using the stock pictures from S&W's website. It's why I picked the model 642 over the 36. Hope this is helpful.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top