JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not certain whether the data capacity for this website could handle a thread concerned with inaccuracies and errors regarding firearms in movies.

Better to highlight a few that are true to period and model and operation for guns. THAT is the rare breed.

I am not certain whether the data capacity for this website could handle a thread concerned with inaccuracies and errors regarding firearms in movies.

Better to highlight a few that are true to period and model and operation for guns. THAT is the rare breed.

With that idea in mind I nominate the classic movie with Mr Heston and Mr Keith. "THE MOUNTAIN MEN" Another that is accurate is "Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford.

Anyone ever notice that during the three way gun fight towards the end of "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" that Lee VanCleaves pistol is a 1858 Remington New Model Army (percussion/cap and ball) And that he has a belt full of what looks like a 45LC (only strangly longer then they should be) it even clearly shows percussion caps on the nipples.

In an earlier scene Clint Eastwood is loading the cylinder of what appears to be a Colt Army cap and ball via a loading gate. All of this is set before the end of the civil war the first colt conversions showed up with the Mason patent in 1871 (colts first cartridge pistols) and then the open tops showed up in 1872 With Colts first pistol strong enough for modern cartridges in 1873 the so called Peacemaker.
so clearly the guns in the movie are as with most Westerns totally incorrect

Oh great, now the movie is totally blown for me.

Yah I know it's an old thread, but some of these old westerns are better than allot of the current movies coming out.

GoodBadUgly_147Pyxurz.jpg

Anyone ever notice that during the three way gun fight towards the end of "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" that Lee VanCleaves pistol is a 1858 Remington New Model Army (percussion/cap and ball) And that he has a belt full of what looks like a 45LC (only strangly longer then they should be) it even clearly shows percussion caps on the nipples.

In an earlier scene Clint Eastwood is loading the cylinder of what appears to be a Colt Army cap and ball via a loading gate. All of this is set before the end of the civil war the first colt conversions showed up with the Mason patent in 1871 (colts first cartridge pistols) and then the open tops showed up in 1872 With Colts first pistol strong enough for modern cartridges in 1873 the so called Peacemaker.
so clearly the guns in the movie are as with most Westerns totally incorrect
Personally I have learned quite a bit about the old West from the opening credits of F-Troop. I'm good with that.

At least the guns in 'Braveheart' were correct.

tac
Apparently the kilts weren't though. According to the interwebs, kilts weren't around for a couple of hundred years until after W.Wallace was around.
I am grateful for flaming bagpipes though, especially when played by Darth Vader on a unicycle.

Apparently the kilts weren't though. According to the interwebs, kilts weren't around for a couple of hundred years until after W.Wallace was around.
I am grateful for flaming bagpipes though, especially when played by Darth Vader on a unicycle.

Nor did they wear woad á la Pict. William Wallace was a French and Welsh speaker - his very name means William the Welshman in Middle French. He was also around 6' 5" and did not wear any kind of a kilt, as pointed out above. One of the few actualities in this appalling movie was the appearance of the occasional Irishman in the ranks of his followers - most of the rest, as with his dalliance with the young French princess, was total b*llocks.

Oh, Edward DID kick his son's boyfriend out of a window. I enjoyed watching that a few times.

tac

I have relatives who think Deliverance is a documentary ... LOL!

The trouble with movies is that many people do not look beyond the movie for any more information.
Which then gives them only a limited and often false sense of history.
Then what can happen is that the movie version of events , becomes regarded as factual and the real history lost.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top