Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Caught a big error in the movie "The Good the Bad and the Ugly"

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Mark W., Sep 3, 2012.

1. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone ever notice that during the three way gun fight towards the end of "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" that Lee VanCleaves pistol is a 1858 Remington New Model Army (percussion/cap and ball) And that he has a belt full of what looks like a 45LC (only strangly longer then they should be) it even clearly shows percussion caps on the nipples.

In an earlier scene Clint Eastwood is loading the cylinder of what appears to be a Colt Army cap and ball via a loading gate. All of this is set before the end of the civil war the first colt conversions showed up with the Mason patent in 1871 (colts first cartridge pistols) and then the open tops showed up in 1872 With Colts first pistol strong enough for modern cartridges in 1873 the so called Peacemaker.
    so clearly the guns in the movie are as with most Westerns totally incorrect

2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Yeah, I don't think those spaghetti westerns had very large budgets.

3. Mark W.

Then why spend money on cartridges that don't exist at the time the movie is set?

4. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Just for looks Mark... BTW: would we be better off if gunpowder had never been discovered?:p:thumbup:

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

humm, PaulZ is clearly in need of professional help. Perhaps a firearms training session or a good rope will end his distorted reality.

P7id10T likes this.
  6. Mark W.

Absolutely cause huge gashing sword wounds are so much easier to recover from. Or a broadhead to the neck.

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

I tried again tonight to watch one of those clownish pasta westerns, worst acting ever, turned the channel. Now Joe Kid (love the Broomhandle and Savage 99) and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (filmed in Hells Canyon area) I can watch. I'll watch The Unforgiven bout every chance I get too. Wonder if they'll show Gran Torino.

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Cap and ball revolvers look cool, sleek and big! That's all that counts. Watching "Latinos" with Italian accents drives me nuts!!!

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  9. jjackffrost

jjackffrost central oregon Active Member

46CarbineRF.jpg In 1868, Remington began offering cartridge conversions of the revolver in .46 Rimfire.

46CarbineRF.jpg

10. billyinfinity

billyinfinity Portland All pie, all the time. 2015 Volunteer

Historical inaccuracies in a film?!?! NEVER!! Inaccurate portrayal of firearms in a movie?!?! PREPOSTEROUS!! How dare you, sir! :bluelaugh:

mjbskwim likes this.
  11. Mohawk13

Mohawk13 Home on The Range Active Member

It's a film. Get over it..

mjbskwim likes this.
  12. Mark W.

Yes but the pistol in the movie still had nipples and it showed percussion caps on the nipples so clearly not a conversion. And the cartridges shown were more like a .40-50 in shape. straight wall and longer and smaller diameter then a .45 long colt. WHich didn't exist until after 1872 sometime. The movie was set sometime before the end of the Civil War in 1865.

13. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Unforgiven. Isn't that the one with the line: "Witherspoon sez he won't give us no more 30-30 without
    whut we pay"???? Neat movie. They throw the year on the screen frequently. IIRC the above line was
    supposed to have been in the mid 1880's.

Around 10 years BEFORE Winchester introduced the 30-30.

14. billgrigsby24

billgrigsby24 Beaverton, Or Active Member

I like Thunderbolt and lightfoot also...that's a good movie.

15. LimaCharlie

LimaCharlie Oregon Member

Gun accuracy in movies and television? I saw one recently with a petite young woman shooting a full magazine of 50AE from a Desert Eagle with no visible recoil!

16. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

At the tender age of eighteen, I was priveleged enough to be living in Great Falls, Montana where Thunderbolt and Lightfoot was filmed. Dad was a police officer assigned to airport duty (DB Cooper era). Clint Eastwood and George Kennedy came in on the same plane, Eastwood hurried out of the airport to the hotel, but Dad chatted up Kennedy, and we got to share lunch with him. I am still vastly impressed by how big that man was. A picture remains in my mind of how his hand completely smothered a standard Coke glass, and his laugh filled the terminal.

We went downtown the night they filmed the car chase where Kennedy (actually stunt driver) runs the car through the department store window (The Paris of Montana), and the guard dobermans have him for dinner.

17. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

I only watched part of it last time on AMC but I did notice clint loading his cap&ball via loading gate

18. Mark W.

On Pawn Stars last night they took a WInchester model 1886 in 45-90 out and shot it. NOw How the heck do you shoot a metal butt plate rifle firing a 45-90 round and not have any visable recoil (no matter how fat your arse is) And where exactly was all the smoke 90 grains of black powder even pyrodex makes a bunch of smoke. But hardly a puff.

19. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

No idea WHAT they were shooting in that '86! They held up a round for a couple of seconds. Looked like a cast lead
    bullet and W-A-Y too short to be a 45-90. 45-90 is longer than 45-70, what they had looked like 45 colt. Maybe some kind
    of light smokeless "cowboy" load??

20. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a perfect movie. There are no errors. ;)

dolooper, Cardoff, TCOV and 1 other person like this.