JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...Carrying a gun in the commission of a property crime was a serious sentence escalator that they wanted to avoid. Iguess is is no longer so.
Take a look at the Rheinhole murderer who killed a trump supporter in cold blood in Portland, he was twice arrested with an illegal gun and no charges, then he got shot in the arm at a protest trying to steal a gun from a man carrying legally (and no arrest), then he killed someone and it finally took the us Marshall's to bring him down. Criminals know if they are arrested they will just be released immediately so there is no reason for them to obeys the laws.

Interesting video where Cat thieves have pepper spray, owner has shotgun loaded with rock salt.

Notice cops response about owner's actions:

Police said he had every right to defend himself and protect his property (according to the newscast)

Now that is in the most liberal, protect the crims type of city u will probably ever find outside of CA (IMO). Also if you recall a couple months back in parkrose neighborhood a citizen held cat thieves with a .22 rifle until police arrived and he was not charged with anything.

Too many people want to roll over and let criminals do whatever they want, take whatever they want. That just makes them bolder. We can protect ourselves and our property as long as we do it legally. We don't have to hide and be scared and just let criminals do whatever they want to us.

Last Edited:
WTF does that even mean? Can we have it in English?

gank

1. vt. (Am. slang) To steal in a surreptitious or underhanded manner

hoopty

Basically, a piece of chite car. Usually cheap and/or broken down. Can be any size, make or model, but must (or should) be embarrassing to drive for some reason, such as when you bump the stereo all the plastic "effects" you have hot-glued to the exterior rattle, instantly betraying the cheapness of your bling.

A hoopty can be anything from a '78 Cadillac Brogham with the panels missing in front of the brake lights (but replaced on only one side with duct tape), to a fine purple two-year old Hyundai Elantra with three spinner hubcaps and a vanity plate that reads BBY GRL.

I'm curious how you guys would smoke this guy. You can't just throw the door open and fire, the guy has the drop on you and very probably can get the first shot. Do you shoot through the door? Personally! I'd leave that strategy to ol' Brandon. Do you take your rifle and sneak up and ambush the gunman? I think the ambush could get you into serious legal trouble from even a pro-gun DA.
How do you take this guy out without getting shot or arrested? I don't see a good choice for the homeowner.
911!
At least the sirens may scare them off before they have all the bolts off the converter. I'm curious how they knew it was the converter the punks were after, especially since they were in the house? Maybe the starter instead? Or? LOL
Don't even think of shooting the SOB's It would take years to get it settled and God only knows how much money! Whatever parts could be easily covered by just a few hours of lawyer's fees, maybe even the whole car depending on how old it is!
Gabby

Theoretically the guy is pointing the gun at the front door right? Most front door areas to houses have windows facing the same direction. If the guy is considered a deadly threat then shooting right through the window a few times would do it. First one breaks the window, maybe hits target, maybe not, second one goes through hole of first one and hits target more likely.

I just don't understand how someone can consider a person pointing a gun at the house not a deadly threat.
The house isn't a threatened personal target, it's just property!

The "cat jackers" are at least trying to be stealthy. Now there is this. Thinking kicking in doors in the dead of night is asking to get shot.

The "cat jackers" are at least trying to be stealthy. Now there is this. Thinking kicking in doors in the dead of night is asking to get shot.

The police department is encouraging parents to warn their children of the "obvious dangers associated with this type of crime."

Un-frickin-believable. One of these kids is going to catch a bullet from a quick acting homeowner and it'll be deemed the homeowner's fault....I did some pretty stupid stuff as a teenager, but I'd like to think I wasn't that stupid to kick in someone's front door.

1) "Depends on the state. The McCluskys had a rough go and they are lawyers."
Yeah, well they pulled guns on an official BLM/DNC approved peaceful protest.

2) "The chief of Police in my hometown said to always drag them into the house and put a butcher knife in his hand."
This is a joke, right?

3) "For clarification, that 30 round mag dump I spoke of was into their unoccupied getaway car so to render it inoperable and forcing them to depart on foot, thereby being forced to carry my catalytic converter with them. I just wanted to make it as difficult as possible on them."
I recall that somebody did just that some years back and was charged with some form of assault involving a firearm.

4) The guy in the pickup should have just started it and driven off.

5) Hoopty:

911!
At least the sirens may scare them off before they have all the bolts off the converter. I'm curious how they knew it was the converter the punks were after, especially since they were in the house? Maybe the starter instead? Or? LOL
Don't even think of shooting the SOB's It would take years to get it settled and God only knows how much money! Whatever parts could be easily covered by just a few hours of lawyer's fees, maybe even the whole car depending on how old it is!
Gabby

Hmmmm...maybe you are not aware of how a cat thief removes the cat from your vehicle.

With extreme disregard for appropriate disassembly techniques. They use a cordless reciprocating saw ("sawzall") and they give zero effs about collateral damage. They could be cutting into a B-pipe (the most common name for the pipe from your upstream to your downstream cat, the downstream being the one easiest to steal) that costs over $2K to replace, let alone the $1500 cat. Furthermore, the "cat-back" is getting hacked too, and you can either have it re-welded for $100 or have the entire piece replaced to keep your vehicle OEM for thousands.
And all the while that saw blade is being belligerently thrust upon the tender bits of your expensive vehicle, the tip of the blade is banging against your undercoating, exposing steel to the elements where it can begin rusting.
Also, as the recip saw is being flung around, watch out for those pesky, expensive harnesses. If they are in the way, they're getting cut or ripped out. You know, like the O2 harness(es). All $$$ to replace.

So, no....they don't "unbolt" a damn thing.

Last Edited:
They were pointing the gun at the people inside. That should be obvious. Why would you point a gun at a house if it wasn't intended for the people inside?? :rolleyes:
I would really rather not try to use that in a court of law, it would be an easy case of why didn't you seek a more protected room in the house rather than sitting there where you were more exposed. And did you dial 911 or lock the doors, or maybe pull the blinds and turn off the lights? Of course them brandishing a fire arm was for intimidation, but could you prove that you were really in danger.
You have to remember the jury of your peers may not have even one gun owner in the six who will be judging the testimony. As a matter of fact the prosecuting attorney would very probably refuse any gun owner that your defense attempted to approve, if they were even attempting to do so. Would you get a fair shake under those conditions? Just think about it a little!
Gabby

I would really rather not try to use that in a court of law, it would be an easy case of why didn't you seek a more protected room in the house rather than sitting there where you were more exposed. And did you dial 911 or lock the doors, or maybe pull the blinds and turn off the lights? Of course them brandishing a fire arm was for intimidation, but could you prove that you were really in danger.
You have to remember the jury of your peers may not have even one gun owner in the six who will be judging the testimony. As a matter of fact the prosecuting attorney would very probably refuse any gun owner that your defense attempted to approve, if they were even attempting to do so. Would you get a fair shake under those conditions? Just think about it a little!
Gabby
In Orygun at least, you are not required to retreat.

And as for a jury of my peers, I think most people are tired of getting their cars trashed by cat converter thieves.

The house isn't a threatened personal target, it's just property!
And who is in the house and do bullets travel through the materials a house is made of…

If you are making the argument only the house is threatened. Hold a piece of drywall in front of you and then imagine someone else pointing a gun at the drywall and hopefully then you can begin to understand why you are wrong.

Last Edited:
Good luck fining a jury of your peers in Portlandia.
I would have a much better chance of finding someone who had their cat converter stolen there than where I live now.

For me, this discussion is hypothetical; for one thing, Oregon passed a new law on cat converter recycling:

A new law aimed at stopping catalytic converter thefts went into effect in Oregon in 2022. ... Those approved buyers are only allowed to take "legitimately acquired catalytic converters" and keep the make, model year, VIN and license number of the vehicle it came from to redeem their value.

And those kinds of thieves don't go looking for cat converters in the boonies where us rednecks have dogs and shotguns - not to mention woods that such people get "lost" in.

And who is in the house and do bullets travel through the materials a house is made of…

If you are making the argument only the house is threatened. Hold a piece of drywall in front of you and then have someone else point a gun at the drywall and then you can begin to hopefully understand why you are wrong.
I know bullets can go thru many layers of dry wall, as do you, but if you read my last reply, can you be sure the jury will know that and take it into consideration? Also the more layers of material between you and the firearm the better the chance it will be stopped or deflected. We don't know how powerful the gun was maybe nothing more than co2 that looks like a real gun, or a 44 magnum. There are too many choices to consider and so the outcome of your trial is really up in the air, again please THINK about the possible outcome of the jury's response to your actions. I'm sure they will!
Whether I'm right or heaven forbid wrong. Isn't material here or not, but how your actions were truly necessary or not in a court of law and do you want to bet what the outcome might be, it's your life at stake if you made the wrong choice. You could end up in jail for a long time if the jury thinks you were out of line.
I'm only suggesting you give good consideration to your actions before you make a move that you may regret!
Gabby

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews