JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not have a hardness tester and have been successful watching the signs. With WW lead becoming less available I have been looking at several hardness testers. I don't want a tester for one bullet I would really like a tester to test my lead pile at random. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I do not have a hardness tester and have been successful watching the signs. With WW lead becoming less available I have been looking at several hardness testers. I don't want a tester for one bullet I would really like a tester to test my lead pile at random. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I found that with some commercial pig lead, a steel ball bearing, a vise, a micrometer and some basic math I could determine the BHN of my various batches of lead. Depending on your eyes a magnifying glass may come in handy. Now I mostly just cast pure lead for my muzzleloaders.

I found that with some commercial pig lead, a steel ball bearing, a vise, a micrometer and some basic math I could determine the BHN of my various batches of lead. Depending on your eyes a magnifying glass may come in handy. Now I mostly just cast pure lead for my muzzleloaders.

I wonder if a guy uses a torque wrench and a known material if that might get close enough to Lyman #2. I can always go a bit harder, Might try using a ball bearing. Thanks for the thought the wheels are turning - ogre.

SH, I'm not sure what is up with your replies. Is there a problem?
I recently took to slugging the cylinders in all my wheel guns. Wouldn't you know one of the chambers in my six shooter, has one chamber .0015 smaller than the barrel! The other five are OK –
With the cylinder swung open I hit that chamber with a tiny pin punch. Near the rim of the bullet. And now I either keep it Empty under the hammer or use it for my last shot.
I was wondering for years why such a nice piece would shoot five and miss.
What a nut to crack!

I use range lead, and some 95/5 solder, water quench, and come up with a brinell around 25. I want to back down the solder until I achieve around 16~18, which should be right where I want to be for 9mm, .38., .357, .44 and .44 mag.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top