JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
These casings were shot at Tri-County a couple of days ago out of a 6 month old Savage 16F. About 30% of the casings ended up like this. They have been shot 2 times with a 50gr V-max and 26.1 gr of 778 (about 30 rounds). I then shot about 20 rounds of factory Remington 55 gr and 20 rounds of factory Remington at 45 gr. All about the same percentage. The vertical mark is happening on ejection. If I slow the bolt action this is minimized. Do other's get this?
I am more worried about the groove around the mouth of the casing. I am not a real experienced loader, but I have not seen this. I asked a couple of guys at the range and they didn't know either. No real signs of pressure. I would appreciate any answers. I hope you can see the pictures. Thanks

Last Edited:
Wow...it looks like the case is engaging the rifling in the first pic. The line in the second pic could be as simple as a burr inside the chamber. If you have a powerful light and a dentist's mirror you could get a close look. I've never seen the like though.

These casings were shot at Tri-County a couple of days ago out of a 6 month old Savage 16F. About 30% of the casings ended up like this. They have been shot 2 times with a 50gr V-max and 26.1 gr of 778 (about 30 rounds). I then shot about 20 rounds of factory Remington 55 gr and 20 rounds of factory Remington at 45 gr. All about the same percentage. The vertical mark is happening on ejection. If I slow the bolt action this is minimized. Do other's get this?
I am more worried about the groove around the mouth of the casing. I am not a real experienced loader, but I have not seen this. I asked a couple of guys at the range and they didn't know either. No real signs of pressure. I would appreciate any answers. I hope you can see the pictures. Thanks

The ones on the left are from the original factory crimp. Look at a new factory cartridge and you will see the same thing. As long as the cases are not over maximum length you are OK. The cases on the right look like they are getting scraped while being extracted. As soon as the neck clears the chamber it is being pushed to the right by the ejector and rubs on the inside of the action until it is kicked out of the action. It is a normal condition and nothing to worry about.

I was ready to send it back for Savage to look at. It had to go back right after I got it for ejector problems. ( it was tearing up casings) You have saved me a lot of time. I did look at the factory loads and it was just like you said. Thanks again

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top