JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a Chase Slate card and the point system was revolving by quarter....that's a deal-breaker for me.
Recently got the Cabelas card and it's cool to see the points rack up and redeeming should be easy the next time I need something to be on sale (to me) at Cabelas.
The new Costco card looks good.
The Top 6 Cash-Back Cards for 2017

I dunno, seems like if I pay in cash or with a debit card I leave cash on the table.
Of course you have to pay in full each month or you're not in the game.

I have a few that have cash back.

The only one I'd rather keep is the Sportsmans Warehouse visa. Forget cash back, just give me a gift card that I can blow.

I have the Costco card (Citibank) and I use it for almost everything, especially larger purchases. I have the Chase too, through Amazon, and I get discounts via Amazon for whatever I buy at Amazon.

Since I got the Costco card last year I only buy stuff from Amazon on the Amazon/Chase card. Just not as good a deal as the Costco card for which I get a Costco rebate every year for everything I purchase with it, especially Costco gas which is cheaper than gas anywhere else plus I get the 4% back on it at the end of the year.

Costco stuff isn't always the cheapest, but I do buy enough stuff there to get a good rebate and I am careful about what I buy at Costco.

I also have a checking account at Advantis CU - as long as I make 12 POS purchases a month with the ATM, I make 1.75% interest on the balance in my account, up to $25K balance. There are a number of CUs that have similar deals, which is a lot better than the interest paid on CDs/savings most anywhere else.

I have the Costco card (Citibank) and I use it for almost everything, especially larger purchases. I have the Chase too, through Amazon, and I get discounts via Amazon for whatever I buy at Amazon.

Since I got the Costco card last year I only buy stuff from Amazon on the Amazon/Chase card. Just not as good a deal as the Costco card for which I get a Costco rebate every year for everything I purchase with it, especially Costco gas which is cheaper than gas anywhere else plus I get the 4% back on it at the end of the year.

Costco stuff isn't always the cheapest, but I do buy enough stuff there to get a good rebate and I am careful about what I buy at Costco.

I also have a checking account at Advantis CU - as long as I make 12 POS purchases a month with the ATM, I make 1.75% interest on the balance in my account, up to $25K balance. There are a number of CUs that have similar deals, which is a lot better than the interest paid on CDs/savings most anywhere else.

Parents use this Costco card for everything and pay it off regularly to avoid interest. It's a sweet deal for them.

I always pay off my cards in full - never carry a balance beyond the grace period.

Ten years ago I closed all my credit card accounts out because I wasn't using them, then about 5 years ago I got the Amazon card because a CC is better than a check/ATM card when buying things online. Now I keep them because of the 'cash back' rewards and the safety.

The only debt I have is my mortgage and I hope to get rid of that when I retire.

I always pay off my cards in full - never carry a balance beyond the grace period.
<snip>
The only debt I have is my mortgage and I hope to get rid of that when I retire.
This^

I have several cards. All have some sort of cash back feature except the the Alaska Air visa. It has other flight benefits that have value to me. All cards are payed off monthly.

Only debt is my mortgage. Should be payed off in 4 years, six years early.

Just got my new Chase/Amazon card. No numbers or name on the front, only on back. Different.

Says 5% at Amazon with Prime. Didn't know it was that much. Maybe it increased.

Amazon and Costco are two places I spend significant funds. This year though I have made some large charges to the Citibank card paying for medical expenses. Got a $100 discount from one hospital for paying before it was due - that was nice.

Another reason I have CCs is for emergencies (car breaks, medical) when away from home. If I am away from home and I need cash, there are usually limits to how much I can get from any one card per day. ATM card is something like $400 to $600, depending on the ATM, and maybe $2000 if I go to a bank. Each CC maybe something like $1200.

Then there are charge limits and other things to prevent fraud/etc., and sometimes a card is declined - so it is a good thing to have more than one card even if your limits are high.

It is interesting that CC orgs seem to be a bit more sane about limits - or maybe they are not.

At one point, about 15 years ago, I had a $40K+ credit line and they just kept upping it automatically. Now I don't even have half that even though I make more than twice what I used to. Of course, that much high interest credit doesn't do your credit score any good. Not sure if it is because CC orgs are saner due to the recession and a lot of people defaulting 10 years ago, or if it is just because about 15 to 20 years ago I ran up a large credit balance and they kept upping the limits.

Either way I don't need/want that much anymore - I can always get an equity loan on my property if I absolutely had to and the interest would be much better - but I hope I never have to (except to buy another property).

I use a double cash back Citi CC. The points add up fast. LOL....I even charge my $5 purchases on it (if the store will allow it).

Aloha, Mark

1) How does the redeeming process work ?

2) Revolving quarterly BS ?
(my Chase card sucked for that)

There is no yearly fee. No revolving categories. Everytime you make a purchase.....1% is added to your account. And, when you pay it off....another 1% is added to your account. I always pay off my monthly bill in full. Though, it's not required. But, of course....there is the interest if you don't.

Anyway....

I redeem it.....when I feel like it. I use to wait for Christmas time. But, now a days....I redeem it when I hit about $100 or so. I just go to the web site and apply the points towards my balance....easy.

To sign up for the CC. Just go to the Citi Bank web site and look for the Double Cash Card offer.

BTW....yes, I've also signed up for the "other CC offers" just to get the free money. You know....Chase (and others) usually offers $100 (or more) if you just charge and pay off X dollars within 6 months or so (read the fine print). And, I'd stay away from any offer(s) that make you pay a yearly fee.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Had a Chase Slate card and the point system was revolving by quarter....that's a deal-breaker for me.
Recently got the Cabelas card and it's cool to see the points rack up and redeeming should be easy the next time I need something to be on sale (to me) at Cabelas.
The new Costco card looks good.
The Top 6 Cash-Back Cards for 2017

I dunno, seems like if I pay in cash or with a debit card I leave cash on the table.
Of course you have to pay in full each month or you're not in the game.

YES!! They are great IF, you can control yourself. Mine compete with each other. When one has some special deal for like food or gas I make sure I use that one for the time of the special. I have not written a check in so long I can't remember the last time.

YES!! They are great IF, you can control yourself. Mine compete with each other. When one has some special deal for like food or gas I make sure I use that one for the time of the special. I have not written a check in so long I can't remember the last time.

I don't have a checkbook. All my repeat monthly expenses (mortgage, utilities, etc.) are paid directly from my account, and maybe once a month (or once or twice a year, depending on what happens), I either stop in at the CU and get a check (to pay for taxes) or have the CU send a check via online. Many places and many people, do not accept checks anymore.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top