JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are several types out there. I have used a hand crank type, and trim dies. There is also power type trimmers. If you have a lot of cases you might look at one. If you are only going to do a few at a time then a hand turn one or a trim die style would work for you.

I have been using the Lee case trimmer chucked up in a cordless drill. It is pretty quick and cuts them right where they need to be. You buy different studs for different calibers. This seems to be one of the cheaper routes to go. I see no need to spend a bunch more on something that does the same thing.

I don't know which is best because I haven't tried many different ones. I will agree that the Lee setup works very well and is economical. You can add calibers to it as you go. Sometimes on a budget, Lee is hard to beat in many areas. Actually I have a "fancier" RCBS which some would think is harder to understand and to use, maybe.

I think parsons forgot to mention he wants one that uses standard shell holders and can do between .22 cal and .45cal (at a min)

And easy and a little more expensive is better then dirt cheap and my knuckles hurt. (powered by an electric drill would be sweet)

(ow and tag to follow the thread)

Steven

Another popular one is the Forster Original model. Dang, I've just heard about these, haven't tried them. I can say only that the Lee truly works well and that my RCBS works well. I almost always opt for the RCBS but still being wishy washy, the Lee is great, just a different principle to achieve the same thing.

That's very similar to mine but a newer model. On mine I can remove the crank and drive it with a powered screwdriver. I hate to assume, but it does look as if you could do it with that one too. You have to set up for each case type by measuring with calipers and then adjusting the "micrometer." I do like the quick release handle which I have.

I can set up a Lee faster and if I use power, do as many cases in a given amount of time. I have both and which one I choose is a matter of my mood.

I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, just at a glance it looks as if that RCBS would need some more pilots, but most trimmers do when you buy them. At a glance I don't see pilots for 9mm or .40 for instance although I could just be seeing it wrong.

I have two types. One is the L.E. Wilson lathe style trimmer. Instead of a collet or something to hold the case by the rim, it uses case holders very similar to the case length gages. This supports the entire case for very good alignment and concentricity. I got it with the Sinclair stand and "shark fin" holder through Sinclair web site. It was about $60 total and each case holder is about $10. Since the holder slips over the case one size fits each case size, not rim size. For instance, one holder fits all the .308 case family (.243, .260, 7mm-08, .308). But you will need another holder for the .30-06 family (.25-06, .270, .30-06, etc). You can also get a power adapter for it.

I have used it to trim several thousand rifle cases in .223, .308 and .30-06. It is very accurate and consistent to within .001". You can get a micrometer stem for repeatable settings, but it doubles the cost. I just use a prepped case saved in my die case for initial adjustment.

The Lee style of trimmer is fixed for the cartridge which is good for most trimming. But if you want a non-standard trim length, say for prepping for RCBS X-Dies, then you need a fully adjustable trimmer like the Lyman, RCBS, Redding, or Wilson. Wilson is unique in that it holds by the case body not the case rim. Of course, this means you need to size your brass before trimming, which you should do anyway.

I also have some Possum Hollow case trimmers. These are hand held trimmers that set off from the shoulder of the case rather than the overall length. If you full length size before trimming then it would be similar to trimming based on overall length because the shoulder will always be at the same distance from the base. However, if you neck size then the shoulder to case mouth distance may need to be different for different rifles. These are adjustable with a set screw to hold setting. You can get a power drill adapter for these as well and are very fast since you don't have to load and unload each case into a lathe device. They are even simpler and smaller than the Lee trimmers. Very robust. One trimmer is cheaper than most other trimmers, but if you have to buy several for verious cartridges or rifle chambers (neck sizing) then they could add up to much more.

i use the forester only thing i do not like about it is its hard to set the length on it .. takes to much fiddling w/ the allen screws ect. Don

Don,

I don't know that model so maybe this is a dumb question. Would it work to save a "perfect" length case, install it, and "bump up" to it for adjustment, then tighten the screw(s)?

If you have access to a drill press, I highly recommend this...
Forster Power Case Trimmer

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=721759
I used it on a thousand .223 cases and it went very fast and did a good job.

Do you then do the length adjustment with the stop on the drill press itself?

Is there a pilot that chucks up in the drill press (centers in the cutter) to hold center and square on the case?

How do you attach that to the drill press table?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top