JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I made some home made case lube with lanolin and Heet gas additive.
The lanolin I bought was the cream/ grease type.
Well this stuff is a THICK grease.
So I tried it anyway and it br0ke down in the Heet/alcohol.
But on the bottom of the mixture is what I am assuming is the paraffin.
If I strain the paraffin will this work.
Or should I start again.

Does the lanolin you bought list paraffin as an ingredient? Normally those cream/grease ones are just 100% natural lanolin. If that's what it is, the sludge at the bottom would actually be some of the lanolin that fell out of suspension. The only way that I have really heard of people having success blending isoheat/alcohol and cream lanolin is over a low heat like a double boiler. It is generally best to start with the liquid lanolin which mixes readily. Also be sure to keep it at normal temperatures. If you leave it out in your garage over winter, the lanolin is more likely to precipitate and fall out of suspension.

I had a hard time finding the lanolin in liquid form locally, but there are several options on amazon.

it is so thick I assumed it had has paraffin in it.
The jar says 100% lanolin.
I tried the spray it leaves a behind a oil residue.
I have never made it before not sure how much or how thick the oil should be.

What ratio did you mix it at? I normally use about 2 fl ounces of lanolin to 16 ounces of isoheat/alcohol. I put 100 or so 223 cases in a plastic tub and give it 2 to 3 sprays. Mix it around and wait for alcohol to evaporate (about 2 to 4 min). Should be a very light film otherwise you'll get dents in your cases when you resize.

Last Edited:
So the reason why lanolin gets all grease like is because it still has some water mixed with it. Normally you are supposed to buy "annhydrous" (waterless) lanolin. However this doesn't really matter.

The stuff you have at the bottom is just a colloidal solution caused by the water in the lanolin, if you shake it, it should go back into solution. You may also be off on your ratios and need to add some more alcohol.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top